Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Colditz" 1972-74 TV series: Lt Col Preston's WWI medals

Moonraker

I've just started watching the 1972-74 TV series "Colditz" on YouTube. In the fourth episode, Lt Col John Preston, a new Senior British Officer, arrives and is immediately met with scepticism and suspicion by the other British officers. His spick-and-span appearance does not help and he appears to be emotionless and rigid. There are some snobbish remarks about his being a Territorial.

As he unbuttons his greatcoat after getting out of his transport, the camera focuses on his WWI medal ribbons which seem impressive:

1044025041_(3)ColditzTVSeriesS01-E04-WelcomeToColditz-YouTube-MozillaFirefox18082019105616.jpg.5acb6c822829bf8ce7b1f9e9c69d7dd3.jpg

What medals do the ribbons represent?

I would have thought that on first sight they would have earned him some credit and respect from the junior officers.

I do, of course, appreciate that this was TV and dramatic tensions had to be introduced. (The characters are fictional, but some have similarities with actual PoWs.)

Moonraker

Well going left to right we have the British war medal, Victory medal followed by what looks to be a Military Cross which is in the wrong place (should be at the front) and finally a territorial decoration for 12 years service.. 

2 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Well going left to right we have the British war medal, Victory medal followed by what looks to be a Military Cross which is in the wrong place (should be at the front) and finally a territorial decoration for 12 years service.. 

Perhaps they were right to be suspicious if his medal ribbons were in the wrong order?

Thanks, that picture sorts out one of my concerns the third medal is not an MC, but a 1937 Coronation medal.

4 hours ago, Moonraker said:

There are some snobbish remarks about his being a Territorial.

Moonraker

Obviously a Rotter and a Cad. Probably wore brown shoes in Town.

2 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Is the post on the watches forum by 'our' biffo I wonder?

You think there might be more?:unsure:

I seem to remember this officer  occasionally spoke about his Great War service in the  trenches. Watch out for  clues- I think the trick to daytime television is to stay awake.

Well, obviously VC, QSA, KSA and a GW trio for starters.

Hmm-Appears to be merely a Colonel in the Home Guard.

The film follows  Wynne-Candy from when he is an idealistic young officer returned on leave from the Boer War through to his retirement as a major-general in the Regular Army and his service as an anachronistic and obdurate colonel in the Home Guard.  One of the finest films ever made:

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

Watch it here

I have a feeling that we may be heading towards discussing Corporal Jones' medals in "Dad's Army" - which we did 14 years ago

here

Moonraker

Givn his career, a CMG and a George VI Coronation medal would be expected.

Anyone want to have a go at the medal ribbons for Major General Clive Wynne-Candy while we are at it? 

VC, CB, DSO, QSAM, KSAM, WW1 Trio, GvR Coronation Medal and two puzzlers.  Pete.

1 hour ago, CorporalPunishment said:

VC, CB, DSO, QSAM, KSAM, WW1 Trio, GvR Coronation Medal and two puzzlers.  Pete.

Wow!!   You must have already been to Specsavers!!

12 hours ago, Uncle George said:

The ribbon next to the George V Coronation medal may be the Russian Order of St Anna: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Saint_Anna

It was awarded to, for example, Sir John Asser for his First war service:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Asser

I think you could well be right there, it certainly looks like it. The last ribbon, the red and black one, could be that of the Yser Medal, a Belgian award for the Battle of the Yser in October 1914.  Pete.

• 1 month later...

And what about the medals worn by Flight Lieutenant Jack Collins, played by Ray Barrett in Series 2 episode 8 of "Colditz"MV5BNDcxMDI2M2MtMmU1Ny00ODUzLTgyZTEtNzI0NmE0ZDc1NDY5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ3NDM5OQ@@._V1_.jpg.c1e953b7b3a2b8f2a9d257feaf0b4def.jpg

Even I know that the top ribbon is a WWII DFC  - because the SBO remarked on it; he also seemed to refer to another ribbon that Collins related to his serving as an ambulance driver with the French at Verdun in the Great War.

1 hour ago, Moonraker said:

And what about the medals worn by Flight Lieutenant Jack Collins, played by Ray Barrett in Series 2 episode 8 of "Colditz"MV5BNDcxMDI2M2MtMmU1Ny00ODUzLTgyZTEtNzI0NmE0ZDc1NDY5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ3NDM5OQ@@._V1_.jpg.c1e953b7b3a2b8f2a9d257feaf0b4def.jpg

Even I know that the top ribbon is a WWII DFC  - because the SBO remarked on it; he also seemed to refer to another ribbon that Collins related to his serving as an ambulance driver with the French at Verdun in the Great War.

DFC, Great War trio and what looks to be the Croix de Guerre.  Pete.