Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl Jones' medals

mcderms

Well it's Saturday and Dads army is on UK Gold... Can anyone ID all of Jones' medals? I can see Pip, Squeak & Wilfred and is that a DCM ribbon?

Who can shed light on this?

post-1753-1126968420.jpg

I was sure I seen either a MM or a MC ribbon bar and a qsa/ksa, pip squeak and wilfred is there of course....come on guys what are the rest?

A fantastic set if they were real..........almost as good as Uncle Albert's medals in only fools and horses.

I think: Egypt 1880s; Sudan 1896-8; India 1895 GSM; QSA/KSA; WW1 trio; Army LSGC; Khedive's Star and Sudan Medal.

But it changes almost every episode...

I remember him mentioning Omdurman in the Sudan campaign which I believe was also where he was referring when he says "the fuzzy-wuzzies don't like it up 'em!!"

Steve.

Part of the'official' backstory forCorporal Jones,as I once read in an interview with creator Jimmy Perry was that he had served with the Royal Warwicks at Omdurman, hence his frequent references to the Fuzzy Wuzzies. I'm sure that there has been an earlier thread on this.

Jones often made reference to Omdurman and the campaign in the Sudan. In Fact I think one episode was set in a dream like state and involved him and his previous war out there. Omdurman was 1898. So some of his medals etc would fit as Dirty indicated. he often made reference to Kitchener as well I recall

regards

Arm

There's also an episode when he gets married to Mrs fox and he wears his red coat uniform from the late 1800s, early 1900s.

I also found this link to his past life :D

http://home.btconnect.com/howejam/dadsarmy...rs/da_jones.htm

Steve

Hi Folks

Always did, & still do love Dad's Army, & spent a couple of happy hours watching it yesterday on UK Gold.

One episode where is to be a parade with medals worn (& Mainwaring, who had none, having served in Germany with the occupations forces after the Armistice), has Jones showing his medals, & identifying them, including those for the Sudan etc. The episode also shows Frazer with the Polar Medal, but does not (I believe) have Godfrey wearing his MM, the story of which is covered in another story.

Am I right in remembering that Jones was discharged during WW1 for poor eyesight, or at least it was said in another episode?

Sorry, looks like I am turning into a bit of a anorak, hope everyone will forgive me.

Cheers

Mark

Yes-now you come to mention it, isn't the dream sequence a parody of the 'Four Feathers' with the other members of the platoon playing the various parts? I seem to recall Private Fraser as the sinister Dervish leader!

Yep thats right and if i remeber correctly 'Pvt Fraser' played the Mhadi in a film a some time!!!!!

regards

Arm

Just checked he played the Khalifi in The Four feathers film.

Edited by armourersergeant

Am I right in remembering that Jones was discharged during WW1 for poor eyesight, or at least it was said in another episode?

Mark

You're right. I think it was in the first or second episode that Jones told Mainwaring that he had been discharged in 1915 for deficient eyesight.

It always struck me as slightly odd that Jones often spoke of his time in the Sudan campaign, but I don't recall his mentioning his service in South Africa. I would have expected that time spent fighting the Boer commandos would have given him some suitable anecdotes.

The writers must have had a change of mind (or a lapse of memory) regarding Sgt Wilson's Great War service, as in the first episode, Mainwaring asks "Where were you in the war?" and Wilson replies "Oh, Mons, Gallipoli, Passchendaele - I was a sergeant in the RA, sir".

However, in the last episode, Wilson appears in a Great War Captain's uniform.

Tiny defects notwithstanding, it remains a brilliant series, and I'm very much enjoying seeing it again on DVD.

In case you're wondering, no I haven't memorised the dialogue - I relied on Graham McCann's book on the series.

Regards

Gareth

I'm away from the home base, but yes, I'm certain there has been a previous thread on this, but just to adduce from memory; he had an Egypt Medal (1882-91) an Indian General Service 1895, Queen's Sudan 1897, Queen's South Africa, King's South Africa, 14(14/15) Star, War Medal, Victory, Army LSGC, Khedive's Star (1882-91), Khedive's Sudan 1897.

There was DEFINITELY a promotional shot of Dunn/Jones in No.1 Dress with blue cloth helmet with a Warwicks badge on in the early days, wearing full-size medals (which I think began with the Sudan medal) but this transmogrified into a Royal West Kent later (consistency with Warmington on Sea HG??) .

I seem to recall that the ribbons remained fairly constant - and that you can't really pin the combo down to the Royal West Kents OR the Royal Warwicks.

Oh, and by the way - is my memory playing tricks, or did Wilson also have an MC when he appeared in his officer's uniform? I might be getting my wires crossed with Godfrey and his MM..

Oh, and by the way - is my memory playing tricks, or did Wilson also have an MC when he appeared in his officer's uniform? I might be getting my wires crossed with Godfrey and his MM..

Comrade

Dare I say it? Your memory is playing tricks, as Capt Wilson's tunic doesn't have an MC ribbon (see below). Nor does it have the standard 1914-1919 ribbons. So what decoration does he have?

Cheers

Gareth

post-45-1127117219.jpg

Hi,

I remember the Cpl Jones wedding episode where Sgt Wilson was in full regalia and he was wearing the 14/15 Star along with the Victory and Defence this looks like the North West Frontier.

Half the fun was Wilson and Mainarings constant feud about M's not getting into the war until it was all over in 1919 .

Do you honestly think they know what they are wearing its a bit like Stephen Fry playing the General in Black Adder, to us the medal collection is outstanding to him its a blaze of colour.

Cheers,

Rob

Yup, either an IGS 08 (so where's his WW1 medals, then..) or even, given the 'swap out' of colours on monochrome... a DSO! (so where's his WW1 medals, then..!) I know they're PROBABLY Middlesex, but from this angle the collar dogs look more like the QARANC!

Yup-I go with that but that ribbon looks horribly like the 1962 GSM can they really have messed up that badly!

Yup thats BBC for you.

The writers must have had a change of mind (or a lapse of memory) regarding Sgt Wilson's Great War service, as in the first episode, Mainwaring asks "Where were you in the war?" and Wilson replies "Oh, Mons, Gallipoli, Passchendaele - I was a sergeant in the RA, sir". 

The Mons bit must be a lapse (it was a comedy, after all).

But Wilson was a toff and gent - he wouldnt have wanted to embarass Mainwaring, by mentioning his real rank so he would have told a little lie. He was/is my favourite character and I'm sticking to this interpretation of events. So there!

John

For anyone who wasn`t aware where the "They don`t like it up `em" originated:- (from www.dadsarmy.tv)

'Thirteen years later, Jones was again serving in the Sudan, this time with General Sir Herbert Kitchener,where at the Battle of Omdurman the Dervishes were finally beaten. "Permission to speak, sir,"said Jones "We gave 'em the old cold steel, they don't like it up'em."'

Phil B

Hello

My 2nd reply to this post, definitely think I need to get out more.................................

I had always thought that Wilson had a trio displayed on his WW1 uniform, & IIRC is seen wearing these in at least one other episode, when many of the characters, both major & minor (ie the Vicar, Warden Hodges & Pte Sponge), are seen wearing their campaign medals.

However, it seems I may be wrong.

Yes, I can see that the collar dogs are QARANC, always knew that having worked with some of them would pay off one day!

Cheers Folks

Mark

I also seem to recall that when Wilson appeared in his officers uniform, he told Mainwairing that he'd been given a battlefield commission...

At least we all know what I was doing on Sat tea-times as a youngster! Anyone for a Dr Who thread ;-) next?

Jim,

Sorry! This is why my wife won't let me watch war films and all things military!! If you are going to portray a soldier at least put him in the correct uniform with the correct equipment. Perhaps I should offer my services to the BBC et al?

NeilD