Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings South Africa Medal Entitlement

Eddie Bosano-Andrews

Out of curiousity. Was he serving in Natal during 1901-1902 by any chance? <_<

I'm asking this because, as from October 26th 1900, service here wouldn't have classified as "active service in South Africa".

Dave.

Hi Dave

It doesn't look like it from his papers, as far as I can make out he was in Pretoria from 20/12/00 to 1/3/03.

Have you tried the rolls that are held at the PRO Eddie or did the QSA roll you looked at come from elsewhere? As far as I am aware they are generally pretty simple to search if you have his number.

Rgds

Tim

Exactly my point!

Er..... I'm confusing myself now. Dosen't this mean that service in Natal during 1901-02 was considered 'active service'...... ?!

Gavin :blink:

Yes. But only in qualification for the 1901 and 1902 clasps on the Queen's S.A.Medal, not for the King's.

Anyway, looks like my theory was wrong anyway seeing as he was seemingly in Pretoria!

Dave.

Hi Dave

Yes it was the roll at the PRO that I looked at, I lloked up both the QSA roll and the KSA roll at the same time, and your right they are very simple to read, I found him straight away on the QSA.

Hello All

I received pictures of the band from the regimental museum yesterday, and I'm 99% sure that the individual picked out by me is my GG Uncle, the features are practically identical (same steely stare, ears and moustache shape) and I know for fact that he was in the band at that time.

Anyway here he is and I think the answer to my initial question.

I'd just like to thank everyone for their time on this, I expected maybe one or two replies I wasn't expecting the level of interest shown, again thank you all for your contributions and suggestions. :D

post-8-1108038006.jpg

Eddie,

Just a thought, but it's possible that your GG Uncle may appear on the KSA Medal Roll for another unit. Many regular soldiers served on detachment with South African Units, the South African Constabulary, Yeomanry etc, especially in the later stages of the war.

Regards

Gavin

• 18 years later...

I know this is an old thread but would like to add the link to the AngloBoer War page for the KSA: https://www.angloboerwar.com/medals-and-awards/british/1723-ksa The award of the medal was controlled under Army Order 232 of October 1902. I find Article 4 interesting, as I have not seen it quoted elsewhere, (including from professional researchers): 

4. Interpreting this rule [The 18 months service], the actual period of absence from duty either at home or in South Africa on account of wounds or sickness directly attributable to service in the field will be allowed to count to make up the period of 18 months.