Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals and bits from world war one

chipkd

So I have had this sat in my safe for around 12 years. My grandmother left it me, and she told me a few bits about them when I was younger, her actual father was in WW1 though when he came back wasnt the same and heavily got back into gambling and not seeing the family, my grandmothers mom re-married and things were fine then, but these medals/bits are the few things he actually didnt gamble. Im just wondering does any1 know what they are, I have a double set of great war campaign medals one for my great grandfather and his brother (my great uncle) as I believe when he died he gave them to his brother, when he died it came into my grandmother possesion. 

I truthfully dont know what to do with them and feel its a waste of history just been stuck in my safe so might donate them to war museum or something... anything you notice there I should be interested in?

20190730_101441.jpg

20190730_101454.jpg

I would keep them, they are part of your family’s history and are irreplaceable.

Museums have been known to sell off donated items, there isn’t much chance of them being displayed either.

D

It appears that you have two First World War trios of medals (1914/15 Star, British War medal and Allied Victory medal). This can be confirmed by checking the naming on the back of the stars and the rims of the other medals. From there, you can research the recipients and, hopefully, they will be relatives. As suggested earlier, if I were you, I would keep them and treasure them as family mementos! 

All the best,

Gary

medals read SJT. T CROSS R.A 30485 and 1233 DVR J.W CROSS 2/F.A.BDE A.I.F. There are some random pieces in there like a silver snuff box with stamps looks like french writing 

Hi

1233 J W Cross is  - https://aif.adfa.edu.au/showPerson?pid=67978

Service record is here  - https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=3469096

Sergeant Thomas Cross 30485 Royal Field Artillery, entered France 28.8.15, discharged 30/6/16 - Medal Index Card on Ancestry - with such a common name, finding other records will not be easy.

If you don't want to keep them, sell them to a collector, not a museum. At least someone will appreciate them.

regards

Robert

You also have a Silver War Badge (has King & Empire on) which probably goes with the trio to Thomas Cross. Post the number on the rear and it can be confirmed. John

hi @rksimpson thank you for the bit on his brother, adds up that his brother john died early at 35 hence he having the medal believe tommy was alive til the 80s or 90s if I remember my dad and grandma telling me, its interesting for sure, just wonder why tommy was so torn after the war, he disconnected with everyone and fell victim to horse racing and lost his family because of it. they kept in touch but I heard he started drinking alot hence why my great grandmother re-married. my grandma always thought highly of him but never understood why he went so off the rails 

The brass tin is that given to the troops at Christmas 1914 by the King's daughter, Princess Mary. It originally contained cigarettes (or a pip and tobacco) and, I believe, chocolate.

Given the horrors of war to which these men were subjected, it is not surprising that he "went off the rails" after the war. This happened to many men, and most of them would never discuss the war with their families or other friends from home. I know of one case where a man simply could not adjust to postwar life and was committed to a mental hospital in 1924. He died in 2001 having spent the rest of his life in one or other of these institutions.

Ron

cant imagine what he would of gone through to make him change so much... just sad really because my grandma loved him but due to him never talking about it never questioned it. this is the silver box inside 

20190730_123259.jpg

22 minutes ago, chipkd said:

20190730_122837.jpg

The badge was issued to Sam Speed...any knowledge of this name in the family?

Alan.

swb.JPG

Thomas Cross 30485 has a WFA pension card that shows cause of discharge 30/6/1916 as abdominal ulcer.

Could be many reasons you have Sam Speed's SWB. Thomas Cross was awarded one by all accounts, perhaps he lost his and found Speed's? Perhaps Speed pawned his and Cross bought a replacement ? Perhaps they knew each other and muddled the SWB's. There is a Sam Speed on 1911 census in Old Birchalls, Walsall.

TEW

2 minutes ago, TEW said:

Thomas Cross 30485 has a WFA pension card that shows cause of discharge 30/6/1916 as abdominal ulcer.

Could be many reasons you have Sam Speed's SWB. Thomas Cross was awarded one by all accounts, perhaps he lost his and found Speed's? Perhaps Speed pawned his and Cross bought a replacement ? Perhaps they knew each other and muddled the SWB's. There is a Sam Speed on 1911 census in Old Birchalls, Walsall.

TEW

so interesting knowing this, I know my grandmas dad was around the walsall area in west midlands as we now live in wolverhampton but all my family come from walsall area on dads side so its shows why sam speed is from walsall too o.o

Trios would normally fetch about £100 - £200 (each)

You also appear to have an 1823 sovereign, if it is that is worth over £100.

BillyH.

I was checking the 1823 coin as BillyH typed, and agree with the "appear" - it doesn't look gold to me, and could be a base material copy as a good luck piece, adapted for wearing. Get someone reputable to check it.

Hi

I see you have a medal inscribed:   Borough of Walsall John Williams Mayor 1911

This is the Walsall Borough George V Coronation medal probably issued to school children in the borough. John Williams was elected Mayor of Walsall for the years 1909 & 1910.  He could still have been in office on 22 June 1911 when King George V was crowned or still in office when the medal was commissioned by the borough.  An example is shown here.  Not maybe a valuable item, but interesting for local social history.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Walsall-Borough-1911-Coronation-Medal/143335739969?hash=item215f79d241:g:QxEAAOSweSdc2rh-

The badge inscribed: D Mason & Sons Engaged in war work 1915

This would have been a locally issued badge for employees who were doing war work for that company. The issue may have been to prevent white feathers being handed to men of military age, but were needed at the company, or were waiting to be mobilised.  Or it could have been issued to all employees (including those women who had taken the place of men who had joined up) who wore it to say they were doing their bit for the war effort.

This was certainly war work as D Mason & Sons were a firm of Saddlers in Walsall in business in both world wars until the 1990's. Walsall had the largest concentration of saddle makers in the country, with many companies there. Transport in the  British army was mainly horse drawn in 1915.

I'm not sure of the value of this badge, but it may be a rare survivor & certainly of great interest to the Leather museum in Walsall.

https://go.walsall.gov.uk/leathermuseum

There is a local history centre in Lichfield Street, Walsall, who if you do end up wishing to donate items may welcome them especialy as these items are social history. This said it has been mentioned before here that not all donated items are kept or displayed. If donated here am sure the D Mason badge would end up at the Leather museum.

https://go.walsall.gov.uk/localhistorycentre

4 hours ago, derekb said:

I would keep them, they are part of your family’s history and are irreplaceable.

Museums have been known to sell off donated items, there isn’t much chance of them being displayed either.

D

Or, given that they've been tucked away for 12 years (probably more) and the owner doesn't want them, sell them to a collector who will appreciate them, take care of them and probably research the background of those awarded the gongs in the first place.

Yeah, to be honest I feel bad for not sort of giving them the attention they need, whilst i appreciate massively it has to do with my family history they arnt doing any good been tucked away, i found it again today under some other stuff and thought i would try find a bit out. the sovereign definitely is not gold. I would like the idea that someone who would appreciate them more would find out the bits of the story i havent found, its been super interesting reading some of your guys posts onto some of the stuff. ideally i would look at selling and put the money towards a watch which I would wear to which I would see i would get use out of rather than been stuck in a safe to which I could pass down through to future generations. not sure what to do yet though they are sentimental to an extent and like a few have said irreplaceable.