Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals and bits from world war one

chipkd

They would look great framed on the wall.

DON'T give the medals to a museum, at best they will end up in a cupboard in the cellar along with dozens of others!

BillyH.

I wont billy thanks to your guys advice. i dont really know how to brake them down into bits because theres random silver etc, do I just go to an antique dealer or someone to get an appraisal on this stuff

Lovely collection which ideally should remain with the family.  Wish I had such things from my own lot.  If sold they are likely to be scattered to the four winds.

MC

PS Not a relation

16 minutes ago, chipkd said:

not sure what to do yet though they are sentimental to an extent and like a few have said irreplaceable.

Once parted with its unlikely future  generations would be able to track them down. They've remained in the family for 100 years, partly due to the dusty drawer!

If they were my family medals you'd need to prize them from my cold dead hand. - Just saying!

7 minutes ago, chipkd said:

I wont billy thanks to your guys advice. i dont really know how to brake them down into bits because theres random silver etc, do I just go to an antique dealer or someone to get an appraisal on this stuff

If you do decide to part with them sell as a collection rather than splitting into lots. 

3 hours ago, chipkd said:

maybe nothing is set in stone yet

Well, this advice comes from a collector..........

If you need the money, sell them. If you don't, then remember that just because you are not sure what to do with them, that your descendants or theirs may one day truly appreciate them. Once you let them go from the family they are unlikely ever to be recovered by future generations.

Regards donating them, don't. If they are going to benefit anyone then that person should be you. Museums, as has already been stated, have been known to sell donated stuff for their financial benefit. It is also quite common for them to own huge numbers of items that are never put on display - which is hardly consistent with any notion that they actually "appreciate" those items.

If you decide to sell, whang them on Ebay with decent photographs. The collectors will seek them out. They will be seen by more people than would ever see them going through a local auction house as part of a general sale. Whatever you do though, please keep the "sets" of 3 medals for each recipient together ie do not list the medals individually.

Hope that helps a bit,

Mike

A friend of mines Aunt donated her fathers World War 1 MM to a museum in Liverpool, when he wanted to see it, he had to book an appointment weeks in advance so they could take it out of storage - it should still be with the family.

And, of course, if you decide to keep them it is also entirely possible that future generations will whack 'em in the skip when you pop your clogs.

this is the thing, I was the only one interested in this stuff. Hence why my grandma gave them to me. when my grandma died my aunt threw them at me like they were nothing, but Ive enjoyed them whilst ive had them, its a massive part of my familys history tommy cross was my dads mothers dad so my dads grandfather, he doesnt really have an interest. but im torn like you guys have said once there gone there gone.

• DavidOwen locked and unlocked this topic