Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Devereux

Pat Twomey

3 hours ago, Pat Twomey said:

He would have been treated with suspicion (as all ex-British soldiers were)

Good reminder, and interesting refs from Corisande's find on press clippings etc.

But on the photo, I think a smile and a few years extra can make all the difference to the proportions. However it could just be a family likeness rather than the same man.

Charlie

I think the fact that somebody, at some time, scratched out all the information, means that they knew the information was incorrect for the image. Can't really think of any other reason to try to obliterate it (and circles are better than straight lines to do it properly, LOL).

Judging the two photos, I don't think they are the same man, but obviously there is a likeness which suggests family, and, obviously, could be a maternal cousin if a Devereux can't be found to match to the image.

Thanks Corisande - I'm inclined to agree with you in thinking it's not the same man.

My main reason for arriving at that decision is that, according to Charlie, the bloke in the photo "has 3 overseas service chevrons and has the medal ribbon of the 14/15 or 14 Star" while JJ Devereux's documents don't seem to indicate that he went overseas at all.

Would that be a fair assessment of the info so far?

Thanks everyone again for your help with this.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/06/2019 at 13:31, charlie962 said:

Enlisted 23 Oct 1914   25943

Discharged          L Cpl John J Devere(a?)ux  ??

G??  ???                           BEF

??  1919                france   1915 - 1919 

I've deciphered another bit!

Enlisted 23 Oct 1914   25943

Discharged          L Cpl John J Devereux

Gunshot wounds                           BEF

18/1/1919                France   1915 - 1919 

And in the top left hand corner:

A H Somerville 

Photographer

Quaker Road

Cork

• 2 years later...
On 29/06/2019 at 14:40, HarryBrook said:

See also this medal index card on ancestry - John J. Devereux, Pte. 25943 7/ R. I. Regt., Pte. 2514 S.I. Horse [South Irish Horse], Main Street, Passage West address.

On 29/06/2019 at 14:50, corisande said:

It is difficult to see when he served in SIH.

Late to the feast as always, I can state with some certainty that he served in the SIH from January 1917, numbers 2497 Thomas Buckley joined the SIH on the 16th Jan 1917 and 2518 Arthur Boyle joined on the 25th Jan 1917. I can also add that his SIH service was before serving with the 7th (SIH) Btn R Ir Regt which was formed in September 1917.

Just found his SWB roll entry, enlisted 23 Jan 1917. For those with Ancestry this is the link (https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/2456/images/wo329_3009-00246?pId=148103)

Just to muddy the water a little more, this SIH R Ir Regt man also had service in the Leinster Regiment as Private 5904, so perhaps htis is the earlier service noted on the card, however I do doubt this as this SIH man was only entitled to a BW and Vic medal pair. So we can safely say that the man noted on the card is a separate man altogether.

Again an Ancestry link for those with access; https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/5119/images/41629_611411_5572-00235?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=d2bb87173b8d59643257dac6c694900d&usePUB=true&_phsrc=yDI64690&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=633443