Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Only one man I cannot trace on war memorial.

Hett65

As an aside

5 hours ago, Hett65 said:

His brother Harry served in 1st WW by the family tree

The family tree is incorrect   The service document posted on the family tree" do not belong to Harry the brother of Robert Sidney Garbutt but a Harry Garbutt from a different  family all together

Here's what I have on the suggested candidate

GARBUTT ROBERT SIDNEY

Private ROBERT SIDNEY GARBUTT
4252 4th Bn Yorkshire Regiment

Robert was wounded in action whilst the battalion were in trenches near Kemmel and died of his wounds aged 19 on June 19th 1916  the war diary records  On the 18th June the trenches G3,4,and H1A were heavily shelled  by the enemy resulting in two O.R killed seven wounded

Robert was the son of Frank-James a ships painter and Lydia Garbutt of 32 Chester Street Cargo Fleet Middlesbrough

He can be found on the 1911 census aged 14 residing with his parents and siblings at 76 Surrey Street South Bank Middlesbrough

The register of soldiers effects list his father Frank J as the legatee of his effects

The claimant of his pension is listed as Mrs Lydia Garbutt (mother) age 56 of 32 Chester Street Middlesbrough

Born Merrington Durham enlisted Middlesbrough     (N.E.D.G 25th June 1916)
BAILLEUL COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION (NORD)

1607060300_25june16lowe.JPG.a710a54a97c7d70f4d56d77292eaa5ae.JPG

Ray

Ray

I know he was born at Merrington, Spennymoor but lived Middlesbrough (from at least 1911 by census returns), however I cannot find the connection to Spennymoor for 1916 or May 1918 as recorded in Spennymoor Book of Rememberance.   He was born Merrington and lived there with his family prior to the move to Middlesbrough, however Merrington is not in the catchment area for St Paul's Church and this is where I have the problem in tying  him to that memorial.  If only the 1921 census was available it may show that one of his family still lived in Spennymoor during the war and afterwards and had his name entered on the memorials.  I intend contacting the vicar of the church to see if they have any history of men named on their memorial

Regards

John

• Admin

A very long shot but there is this image of  Robert Garbutt posted by a user. The user hasn't been on the forum since 2014 but might be worth a PM just in case it is connected?

EDIT - this picture may refer to the Robert Sherwood Garbutt - served as Robert Garbutt Sherwood as in one of my earlier posts

David

Thanks for the photograph in relation to Robert Garbutt Sherwood (Robert Sherwood Garbutt), I will try and contact that member as he may have completed his research on this man which may help me trace my R. Garbutt.

John

David & all contributing members.

I have sent a message to EHBARTON, and if he replies I will add any history he has traced on Garbutt to this posting.

John 

Just had a reply from Tony regarding the photograph of Robert Garbutt, unfortunately not my man, he was born Hutton Rudby, North Yorks and is on their war memorial.  I will continue with my research to try and trace the one on Spennymoor war memorial.

John