Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Only one man I cannot trace on war memorial.

Hett65

R. Garbutt is one of 361 men recorded on Spennymoor war memorial and is the only one I cannot find any research on; he is also recorded on St Paul's Church war memorial in the town. The Spennymoor Book of Remembrance records his date of death as 13 May 1918, however I have found a number of the dates incorrect. In the AVL of 1918 I have found an R. Garbutt living at 3 Granville Tce, Binchester which is just outside of Spennymoor, and he was recorded as Cadet 30731, but I cannot find any information on him.   I have tried the following to trace R. Garbutt;

SDGW disc.  CWGC.  Army service records.  Army pension records. RAF airman records.  RN seaman records.  RN officer records.  RNVR records.  Army register of soldiers effects.  Public member trees.  MIC's.  Deaths in Spennymoor 1918.  Burials in Spennymoor and surrounding villages 1918. None of these have been successful.

Can anyone assist with tracing this man?

Thanks

John

• Admin

Sherwood was from (and had relatives in) Hutton Rudby, Yorks.

Craig

• Admin

John

Some more info on the above soldier

His birth place was recorded as Hutton Rudby, Yorkshire. He actually served as Robert Garbutt Sherwood. He was in 10th Bn Lancs Fusiliers. 

David

David & Craig

Thanks for the above information, I will do a bit of research on this man and see what comes up.

John

There is a Private Robert Garbutt, 225th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force  listed on Archives Militaire Canada.  He is listed as born Bilsdale, North Yorkshire. Cannot see what happened to him.

• Admin

Cannot find a Canadian casualty under that name on CWGC but there is an Australian Robert Garbutt but he was 35 when he died in 1917. He was a native of Skelton in York. I think he could be ruled out?

Thanks, this is one thing I did not think about in that he may have served with the Canadians or Australians and I will check this out.

John

• Admin

Found that Robert Sydney Garbutt was born 3rd March 1898 in Spennymoor to Frank (Francis) James Garbutt and Lydia Garbutt. Lydia's maiden name was Suddards.

That would make him 19 in August 1918.

All contributing in post

I have also checked Canadian (none) and Australian (1) casualties with that name and have not matched any to my Garbutt.  

David

That is an interesting one for Spennymoor, I had not found him but I will make a few checks on him and his family.

John

• Admin

John

Can't find a death record for Robert Sydney (closest is a Robert Garbutt died 1977 in Scarborough but he has a definite date of birth recorded as 18th Feb 1896...)

No marriage record either....

David

David

Just completed a family tree research on Robert Sydney and he and his brothers were born Merrington, Spennymoor but were living at South Bank, Middlesbrough in 1911.  His brother Harry served in 1st WW by the family tree but sadly nothing marked against Robert Sydney for a date of death.  I will keep on trying.

John

David

Thanks for the Middlesbrough Roll of Honour with Robert Sydney listed.  It is still possible that some of his family may have still lived in Spennymoor and decided to have his name recorded on the local war memorials.  I will continue with this line of research but have to leave at the moment as heading to my sons to look after grandchildren.

John

• Admin
  • Admin
  • Admin

Are there any surviving parish records. Sometimes entries in parish magazines can be helpful.  They also often have rolls of honour around 1918. The other possibility might be the local newspapers.

David & Keith

I have been checking the family that were born at Merrington but cannot find them in the area after 1911.  Another problem I have is that Merrington where they were born and lived was not in the catchment area for St Paul's Church where the name of R Garbutt is recorded.

I did not find any articles on him in local newspapers for 1918, however I will try the church to see if they have any parish magazines or other history from that time.

Thanks to all who contributed to this posting.

John

IPT

Thanks for that information, Robert Garbutt from Binchester was a cadet in 1918 so may have been the one you mention, however as you say he survived the war.  

John

Now here is a Spennymoor connection 

for the man previously suggested

Baptism record

babtised.JPG.13c6063481f6c0f8b9ce435f5b3524ca.JPG

Ray

Edited by RaySearching