Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify the weapon?

Mostonian

1 hour ago, Skipman said:

Even made of aluminium, that would be a fair weight, yet, it's held on by a key ring to his belt?

Mike

Doesn't it have it's own shoulder strap?

16 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

Doesn't it have it's own shoulder strap?

Yes I suppose it does, but it is still fastened by what looks like a key ring holder. Not very robust, I mean, and I wouldn't like to have to walk far with it swinging about my legs. It is very odd.

Mike

Dare I say it, could the image be a clever fake?  the mystery object has the overall appearance of being much later than  Great War, & for that matter even WWII, technology. Wouldn't look out of place in one of the early Bond movies, or similar. 

NigelS

Could it conceivably be some sort of air weapon?

There seem to be two barrels, the lower one being of much larger diameter than the upper.  The hammers on the top seem to relate only to the upper barrel.  Could the lower one be an air reservoir?  The very over-complicated trigger guard could possibly be a lever pivoting around Mike's "point X".  So you hold it by the grip in your right hand and push the trigger guard lever forward and upwards to compress a spring and charge the reservoir.  

To fire, the small hammer at the very back is cocked.  When the trigger is pressed, the hammer falls forward and hits something which it releases the charge of air which enters the upper barrel via the things that look like hammers at the end of the upper barrel.

The T shaped object on top of the upper barrel being a peep sight.  Loading being achieved by swinging both barrels (the one for the projectile and the reservoir) over to the left hand side.

I have to say that even I am not very convinced by this theory!  If the intention was to produce an air weapon for pistol training, you would have thought this was a hideously over-complicated way of doing it.  Which may explain why this is proving so difficult to identify - no one may have thought it worth making a second one! 

For pistol training, practically everything about the device is pretty much as wrong as it could be!

And what could the hooky bits and huge knuckle guard be for?

I have to admit to entertaining suspicions like Nigel's for a while. The thing attaches to its strap like an old bus-ticket machine, and none of our arms enthusiast have ever seen anything like it before ...

Edited by MikB

18 minutes ago, MikB said:

For pistol training, practically everything about the device is pretty much as wrong as it could be! 

And what could the hooky bits and huge knuckle guard be for? 

I agree, it's a monstrosity.  But people have some odd ideas...

The huge knuckle guard appears to have no real purpose - except if it was also a long lever enabling the spring to be compressed very easily.  Hooky bits.... hmm.  Bottle openers? 

1 hour ago, PhilB said:

Where did the photo come from? 

Good question.  Any clues there?

18 minutes ago, pierssc said:

Good question.  Any clues there?

I have asked that question on the original Facebook page. await reply.

Mike

I've had a look at the Royal Ulster Rifles Museum facebook page which is presumably where this originated?  I suspect they may not know either!

However for anyone with access to FB still trying to work it out I think the resolution on their version of the photo is a smidge better than I'm getting on this thread.

8 minutes ago, pierssc said:

I suspect they may not know either! They must know where they got the image?

However for anyone with access to FB still trying to work it out I think the resolution on their version of the photo is a smidge better than I'm getting on this thread. Yes, noticed that.

Mike

I assumed it's just one of many unidentified photos in their archive?

Objects were often painted white, or a light colour, to show up better in photographs for instruction or publicity. This might lend weight to the idea that it's a prototype or one-off.

The apparent mounting at a fixed elevation of about 45 degrees would be consistent with a grenade launcher, as suggested above.  This is pure conjecture, but I would envision the projectile loaded into the lower, wider tube and the propellant (something like a blank rifle or shotgun cartridge) in the smaller upper chamber.  The knob at the top of the device might regulate the amount of propellant gas allowed into the lower chamber, thus controlling the range.

Fantasy steampunk nerf gun imo.

Nice diversion. 😀

An early nail or staple gun, or something along the lines of  a Coffman engine starter?

NigelS

I tried a Google image search and drew a blank.  If it was film/TV related one there might be some chance that another copy of the photo existed which should have been picked up - in theory.  Such a search isn't infallible of course but the lack of results is consistent with this being a rare photo of something experimental rather than a film prop  I suspect this is part of a series of photos demonstrating various aspects of the device - there may have been others in which the model showed how it was loaded, aimed, etc.

I can't think why no one has yet suggested it's an early speed camera.... 

Posted it on Reddit in the 'What's this thing' sub-Reddit, one poster thinks it may have been photo shopped and another posts a link to an auction site item but I don't think it it is that similar.

Reddit Link

Even if photo-shopped has to be an original something of some kind...

52 minutes ago, pierssc said:

Because some of us remember those as a big grey box on a stand by the roadside, visible from 1000 yards, with 3 coppers operating it. Not something a chap could sling from his belt. 😉

That brings back memories from my childhood! We walked to school along a main road (the A124 I think) and would often see two men in plain clothes and a uniformed policeman waiting on the pavement, all some distance apart. Occasionally we would catch a glimpse of a distant waving handkerchief, the second man would consult his watch and then wave his own handkerchief, and the policeman would run out into the road to stop the offending vehicle. We boys would continue to the school, our lives briefly enhanced by the entertainment provided.

Automation? Pah!

Ron

Can someone do a comparative analysis of the officer’s wide belt or buckle to determine the dimensions, particularly to deduce the caliber of whatever was shot from it?

Does it remind anyone of a cut-down, double-barreled shotgun type of device?

Regards,

JMB

[edit: yes, post 39 mentions shotgun cartridge.]

[edit: Because officer kit was all self-purchase, there was probably not a specified belt/buckle width so using the belt/buckle as an accurate template is not possible.]

Edited by JMB1943
Add info.

OK. I'll have a go at this one, although I'm almost as befuddled as the rest. I've handled many different types of flare guns but never seen or even read about one like this  Using my weapons knowledge and my engineering experience I've come up with a theory ( basically a blind guess)

It's some form of training aid , like a spotting gun or sub calibre device. made of aluminium with a swing out chamber, it must be made to take a low pressure cartridge such as a shotgun or flare cartridge, possibly even a blank.

The pistol grip shape and angle  suggests a direct (line of site ) fire mode and the small tube above the chamber appears to be a sight with a dial adjustment sticking out of the top of it.

the angled plane suggests it mounts onto something such as an armoured shield and fires over the top of this shield.

I'll consider getting mi coat..............

Could the knob on the top be for adjusting an inclinometer.

12 hours ago, pierssc said:

One dark evening policeman lurking under some bushes pointed a speed  gun  at my car. A neaby firm, ICL, had just been bombed and we had been warned to check under our cars and be vigilant. I very nearly put my foot down and adopted a ramming course!