Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Gareth Davies

Thomas Robert Hall

Recommended Posts

Gareth Davies

A chum is trying to research her grandfather, 69814 Pte Thomas Robert Hall, 5th North Staffs Regt. He lived at Calder Grove, Wakefield, West Riding. I have had a quick search on Ancestry but didn’t find him. Can you please help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Inspector
Posted (edited)

Hi Gareth

Same result, however...is this him ? Thomas Robert Hall Married Jane Shange ????, Banns read 28.11.15 Calder Grove. He was born 1885 died Oct, 1966 Wakefield 2d,638  ?Marriage 19.12.1915 St.James ,Chapelthorpe. to Jane STRINGER ? aged 43 spinster, (b.6.1.1872 baptised 31.3.1872, St.James, Chapelthorpe) Father Francis deceased, licensed victualler. Thomas Robert Hall, butcher, aged 30 yrs. Baptised 26th July 1885 mother Hannah, father Thomas, cattle dealer.....looking

Regards Barry

Should be the marriage cert. below but lost in cyberspace.

Date of death edited .....

image.png

Edited by The Inspector

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ForeignGong

Are you sure of the number as the only Hall with that number is Robert N Hall HLI.

There is a Thomas R Hall 202549 South Staffordshire,  Thomas R Hall 41853 South Staffordshire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron Clifton
12 minutes ago, ForeignGong said:

There is a Thomas R Hall 202549 South Staffordshire,  Thomas R Hall 41853 South Staffordshire

These could be the same man, as 202549 was one of the numbers allocated to 5/S Staffs in the 1917 renumbering.

 

Ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George Rayner

202549 on FWR

First Name:
Thomas Robert
Surname:
Hall
Birth Town:
Bethnal Green, Middlesex
Resided Town:
Walthamstow, Essex
Nationality:
British
Date of Death:
25/10/1917
Fate:
Killed in Action
Rank:
Private
Service Number:
202549
 
 
George

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George Rayner

41853 NOK in Wakefield on FWR

Casualty Listed As:
Wounded
Next Of Kin Address:
Wakefield
Service:
British Army
Primary Unit:
South Staffordshire Regiment

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George Rayner
Posted (edited)

Could this be him on Ancestry?

Name: Thomas Robert Hall

Gender: Male

Rank: Pte

Residence Place: Wakefield

Military Service Region: North East, England

Service Number:594462

Regiment: Stt Staffs

Title: Pension Record Cards

Description: Pension Record Ledger

Reference Number:4/MH/No.2925

 

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=61588&h=1502874269&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Yiy19324&_phstart=successSource

 

service number refers to Labour Corps-also Sth Staffs 41853

George

Edited by George Rayner
Linking information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Inspector

Hi All

Can't be 202549 soldiers' effects widow Harriett, wrong one..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gareth Davies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George Rayner

FWR

 
Unit Rank Service Number
South Staffordshire Regiment Private 41853
Labour Corps Private 594462

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Inspector

Hi All

Thomas Robert Hall, 594462 silver war badge B268135, enlisted 2.12.15 disch.22.7.19.....looking

Regards Barry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George Rayner

Sorry may have gone astray!

 

George

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gareth Davies

What I have on him so far:

 

Born July 1885 in Wakefield. His birth registration is on Ancestry.  Died Oct 1966 in Wakefield.  He was known as Bob. His sister, Susan, was a nurse and was awarded the Red Cross Medal.  And the identity disc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DavidOwen

Strange the LLT doesn't mention a 5th Bn North Staffs per se just 1/5th and 2/5th.

Can't find him on Absent Voters lists.

Still looking...

 

There is one MIC for a Thomas Hall 1/5th Bn but he was KIA in 1915 so not him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George Rayner

Have you found them on census for 1911?

 

George

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gareth Davies
7 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Strange the LLT doesn't mention a 5th Bn North Staffs per se just 1/5th and 2/5th.

Can't find him on Absent Voters lists.

Still looking...

 

I am guessing now but maybe he joined up before Nov 14 when the 5th Bn was split in 2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DavidOwen
13 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

 

I am guessing now but maybe he joined up before Nov 14 when the 5th Bn was split in 2?

But not with that high a number? (Re-numbering apart).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron Clifton

That's a distinct possibility, although 1/5th and 2/5th shared a common record office with a single set of regimental numbers. A lot of 1/ and 2/ battalions were merged in Feb/March 1918 and dropped the prefix.

 

Unfortunately some of the posts on this thread have related to men in the South Staffordshires. The two regiments are of course distinct although many of their TF and New Army battalions served together in the same brigades and divisions. 

 

Ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gareth Davies
19 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

But not with that high a number? (Re-numbering apart).

 

I wil stop guessing!

16 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Unfortunately some of the posts on this thread have related to men in the South Staffordshires.

 

Yes. Hey ho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gareth Davies
On 16 May 2019 at 09:38, The Inspector said:

Hi Gareth

Same result, however...is this him ? Thomas Robert Hall Married Jane Shange ????, Banns read 28.11.15 Calder Grove. He was born 1885 died Oct, 1996 Wakefield 2d,638  ?Marriage 19.12.1915 St.James ,Chapelthorpe. to Jane STRINGER ? aged 43 spinster, (b.6.1.1872 baptised 31.3.1872, St.James, Chapelthorpe) Father Francis deceased, licensed victualler. Thomas Robert Hall, butcher, aged 30 yrs. Baptised 26th July 1885 mother Hannah, father Thomas, cattle dealer.....looking

Regards Barry

Should be the marriage cert. below but lost in cyberspace.

 

 

59 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

What I have on him so far:

 

Born July 1885 in Wakefield. His birth registration is on Ancestry.  Died Oct 1966 in Wakefield.  He was known as Bob. His sister, Susan, was a nurse and was awarded the Red Cross Medal.  And the identity disc.  

 

Yes, I think that is him Barry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DavidOwen

Been through all the MICs for Hall in North Staffs on Ancestry and can't see any suitable matches.

Might he just have served at home?

What was his pre-war occupation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George Rayner

I know this appears to be a S Staffs (+Labour Corps) man but he is from Wakefield! can't see him in previous posts

 

Name: Thomas Robert Hall
Gender: Male
Rank: Pte
Residence Place: Wakefield
Military Service Region: North East, England
Service Number: 594462
Regiment: Stt Staffs
Title: Pension Record Cards
Description: Pension Record Ledger
Reference Number:

4/MH/No.2925

 

from Ancestry

 

George

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gareth Davies
10 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Been through all the MICs for Hall in North Staffs on Ancestry and can't see any suitable matches.

Might he just have served at home?

What was his pre-war occupation?

I will ask.

6 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

I know this appears to be a S Staffs (+Labour Corps) man but he is from Wakefield! can't see him in previous posts

 

Name: Thomas Robert Hall
Gender: Male
Rank: Pte
Residence Place: Wakefield
Military Service Region: North East, England
Service Number: 594462
Regiment: Stt Staffs
Title: Pension Record Cards
Description: Pension Record Ledger
Reference Number:

4/MH/No.2925

 

from Ancestry

 

George

 

Thanks George but the identity disc is very specifically N Staffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George Rayner

Yes I appreciate that. Sorry to have cast another red herring then

 

George

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gareth Davies
3 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

What was his pre-war occupation?

 

He was a smallholder and butcher/slaughterman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...