Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prisoners of War help please

Margaretnolan

9 hours ago, Margaretnolan said:

I’ve searched and failed! 

Margaret

So have I, perhaps a pal with access to FMP could have a look.

Charlie

5 hours ago, charlie2 said:

So have I, perhaps a pal with access to FMP could have a look.

Charlie

Thank you for trying. Much appreciated.

Margaret

Not certain what is needed as regards Tully but does this help from FMP?

image.png.1766cb9aa88622722ce18ecd83927093.png

George

38 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

The Red Cross PoW index cards have been digitised by FMP. It might be easier to find his index card on FMP rather than trying to guess where the Red Cross have filed his card (if there is one).

Charlie

41 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

image.png.1766cb9aa88622722ce18ecd83927093.png

George

Thank you George. We have his service records. Just Can’t locate his Red Cross Index Card on their website. 

Margaret

There is no Red Cross P.O.W. index card on fmp for Henry Tully 4368 Connaught Rangers. The only records for him on that site are his service record as above and a transcription of his medal index card.

17 minutes ago, HarryBrook said:

There is no Red Cross P.O.W. index card on fmp for Henry Tully 4368 Connaught Rangers. The only records for him on that site are his service record as above and a transcription of his medal index card.

Thank you for having a look. Really appreciate it.

Margaret

Have since also tried fmp using just his service number in case his name was mistranscribed but still negative.

1 hour ago, HarryBrook said:

Have since also tried fmp using just his service number in case his name was mistranscribed but still negative.

He’s a mystery I’m afraid..but we do have a lot on him. 

Thank you again.

Margaret

Tully's Medal Roll entry shows him as a 4th Connaughts reinforcement to the 2nd Battalion. Interestingly, his service record reports him as reported missing/PoW on 20 Oct 14. However, the 2nd Connaught's WD shows them being 'near Boesinghe' on that date, out of combat, having spent October moving up from Verneuil. The first action they were in thereafter was an attack near St. Julien on 21 Oct when the battalion reported '4 killed and 30 wounded'. There are four names on the Ypres Memorial who died 19-21 Oct, so Tully's disappearance was probably not recorded as 'killed'. The first missing are reported on 30 Oct - Lt Saker wounded and captured, and 30 others missing, many of them captured. Given that the fog of war can lead to inaccurate dates, the circumstances of Tully's disappearance are obscure. If one could discover the names of those '30', it might give a clue as to Tully's fate.

Acknown

6 hours ago, Acknown said:

Tully's Medal Roll entry shows him as a 4th Connaughts reinforcement to the 2nd Battalion. Interestingly, his service record reports him as reported missing/PoW on 20 Oct 14. However, the 2nd Connaught's WD shows them being 'near Boesinghe' on that date, out of combat, having spent October moving up from Verneuil. The first action they were in thereafter was an attack near St. Julien on 21 Oct when the battalion reported '4 killed and 30 wounded'. There are four names on the Ypres Memorial who died 19-21 Oct, so Tully's disappearance was probably not recorded as 'killed'. The first missing are reported on 30 Oct - Lt Saker wounded and captured, and 30 others missing, many of them captured. Given that the fog of war can lead to inaccurate dates, the circumstances of Tully's disappearance are obscure. If one could discover the names of those '30', it might give a clue as to Tully's fate.

Acknown

I have passed on the information you have given me to the person who is researching him. Thank you for your help on this.

Margaret

• 2 months later...

Hi Margaret,

I‘ve been through all the index cards for the name Trac(e)y and found nothing.

I may be on the wrong track but PoW was usually only annotated on the MiC when the soldier was taken PoW during the qualifying period for the 1914 Star as the withholding of the award to PoWs was being considered. Surely if he had been a PoW he wouldn‘t have been transferred to the Leinsters. Perhaps one our Irish Regiment experts could put a date on his Leinsters number.

Charlie

1 hour ago, charlie2 said:

Hi Margaret,

I‘ve been through all the index cards for the name Trac(e)y and found nothing.

I may be on the wrong track but PoW was usually only annotated on the MiC when the soldier was taken PoW during the qualifying period for the 1914 Star as the withholding of the award to PoWs was being considered. Surely if he had been a PoW he wouldn‘t have been transferred to the Leinsters. Perhaps one our Irish Regiment experts could put a date on his Leinsters number.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for having a dig and helping me out again. Hope as you say one of the Irish Regiment experts will be able to help out.

Margaret

1 hour ago, Margaretnolan said:

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for having a dig and helping me out again. Hope as you say one of the Irish Regiment experts will be able to help out.

Margaret

Margaret,

I suggest you start a new thread re Tracey, I doubt that this thread will attract the attention of an Irish regiment expert.

Charlie

35449 isn‘t his Leinsters number but the entry number in the enlistment book.

I was wrong about the thread not attracting an Irish regiments expert :) thanks Jervis.

Charlie

@charlie2 @Jervis

Someone asked me to find his POW details only, as I can usually find them! And if not you guys can. I actually don’t know what other information he has. I’m going to send the link to him and he can pick up from here. Thank you.

Margaret