Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prisoners of War help please

Margaretnolan

I am trying to find Thomas McGill 6584, Connaught Rangers on the prisoner of war index on the International Red Cross Website. But I can’t seem to find the Mc or Mac listings! Can anyone help please.

Margaret

Type  MAC G in the search engine, but he is not listed under Connaught Rangers.

Charlie

Thanks Margaret, sometimes the source helps.

He isn‘t listed in the Red Cross files as Thomas McGill in any regiment. As such he could not have been in 6th Bn Connaught Rangers at the time of his death, the battalion had been reduced to cadre in April 1918 and finally disbanded in August.

Either the newspaper has got the information wrong or he was captured that late in the war that he wasn‘t reported to the Red Cross or he is completely misfiled in the Red Cross records. I had a look at the Irish regiment entries for the name „Gill“ and he doesn‘t appear there either.

Charlie

• 3 months later...
On 06/05/2019 at 17:52, charlie2 said:

Thanks Margaret, sometimes the source helps.

He isn‘t listed in the Red Cross files as Thomas McGill in any regiment. As such he could not have been in 6th Bn Connaught Rangers at the time of his death, the battalion had been reduced to cadre in April 1918 and finally disbanded in August.

Either the newspaper has got the information wrong or he was captured that late in the war that he wasn‘t reported to the Red Cross or he is completely misfiled in the Red Cross records. I had a look at the Irish regiment entries for the name „Gill“ and he doesn‘t appear there either.

Charlie

Charlie. I need your help again please. I’m trying to find the surname O’Neill on the POW records. Daniel O’neill Actually. But I can’t locate it. 

Thank you

Margaret

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/05/2019 at 13:16, charlie2 said:

Type  MAC G in the search engine, but he is not listed under Connaught Rangers.

Charlie

I know I should start a new post but..I’m trying to find any other POW records on the Attached man James Whelan 8967 RDF please. I can only locate the one sheet and card..

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/List/5295333/698/10806/

Thank you.

Margaret

Margaret,

there isn‘t a 8967 Whelan RDF in the medal rolls, the number in the RC files looks to be wrong. If you have any more information on him it would be a good idea to go through the rest of the RDF Whelans to see if you get a match.

Charlie

34 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Margaret,

there isn‘t a 8967 Whelan RDF in the medal rolls, the number in the RC files looks to be wrong. If you have any more information on him it would be a good idea to go through the rest of the RDF Whelans to see if you get a match.

Charlie

I thought that it might be an error on the RC files. I can’t locate anything else on him under that number anywhere. 

8967 looks like it belongs to McGourty.

Thank you for your help

Margaret 

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to find James Corcoran as per attached image on ICRC website but I can’t locate him.

i know I should start a new post but then I might not find you Charlie and IPT.

Thank you

Margaret

F36D6A8A-8489-45F6-B1BF-2E6B80B6B30D.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Margaretnolan said:

Thank you Charlie..I won’t ask why I couldn’t find him!

Margaret

I‘m going to guess anyway :D I suspect you looked in the main file, PoWs taken in the Balkans (Macedonian Front) are found in another section of the database.

Charlie

CAA41633-8837-4485-B724-00B305F61166.jpeg

9 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

I‘m going to guess anyway :D I suspect you looked in the main file, PoWs taken in the Balkans (Macedonian Front) are found in another section of the database.

Charlie

CAA41633-8837-4485-B724-00B305F61166.jpeg

Correct 😀 Charlie. I’m learning. You’re a good teacher.

Thank you again.

Margaret

• 4 months later...

Where can I find more information about a POW named Patrick Joseph Foley.  He served in the Connaught Rangers and was captured 3-21-1918.  His military id is 7587.  

• 7 months later...
On 15/10/2019 at 12:50, charlie2 said:

Charlie

I’m looking for Henry Tully 4368 Connaught Rangers who was a POW from 1914 to 1918. Captured in France. I’ve searched and failed! Thank you.

Margaret