Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Barnard: help with Regiment please

Leachy

Hi all,

my father in law is desperate to trace his grandfather called John Barnard. We have the photos as shown some of which have been enhanced a bit with a red outline to gauge size etc but we still can’t find one that matches. He lived in tooting at or around the outbreak of the Great War but ended up in alfriston in East Sussex. Sussex regret. Cab badge doesn’t seem to fit. Grateful for any ideas please. Thanks5A4162B0-A509-45DB-9AAF-5D31AD4665D8.jpeg.1ce31237ab972e62640d730c7a54ebc2.jpeg

B57B8716-52A1-4EDE-A0E7-32B20CF176F0.jpeg

B2CD239C-56F8-4C60-881A-0B6A1123804F.jpeg

Looks to me like it could be a fusilier cap badge .

The man was a Lance Corporal at the time of the picture but, as it was an appointment and not a rank, the paperwork often just shows as Private.

Craig

8 minutes ago, Leachy said:

Hi all,

my father in law is desperate to trace his grandfather called John Barnard. We have the photos as shown some of which have been enhanced a bit with a red outline to gauge size etc but we still can’t find one that matches. He lived in tooting at or around the outbreak of the Great War but ended up in alfriston in East Sussex. Sussex regret. Cab badge doesn’t seem to fit. Grateful for any ideas please. Thanks5A4162B0-A509-45DB-9AAF-5D31AD4665D8.jpeg.1ce31237ab972e62640d730c7a54ebc2.jpeg

B57B8716-52A1-4EDE-A0E7-32B20CF176F0.jpeg

B2CD239C-56F8-4C60-881A-0B6A1123804F.jpeg

Was he John Edward Barnard by any chance ?

When was he born ?

Craig

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Leachy

I have edited your title in the hope it will attract some more attention.

Good luck with your research

David

Definitely a Fusilier regiment, Royal Inniskilling’s I think from the apparently curved shoulder title.  He also has a 29th Division cloth badge (aka flash) on his upper arm.

Many Englishmen served as pre-war regulars in the Irish regiments and once casualty rates set in, the lack of conscription In Ireland meant that more such men had to be recruited to replace Irish battle casualties.

93AD5B4B-3EB1-4F14-AAA8-EF326C568645.jpeg

5D05DBF6-2AC3-498E-9711-7951CE3F52EE.jpeg

363A407D-073D-4893-89F0-9455D93C2BDB.jpeg

E09BD112-CA74-4AC4-B506-B386F391B78D.jpeg

1D897B93-8699-4FC2-82D6-A15737F3D863.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Looks to me like it could be a fusilier cap badge .

The man was a Lance Corporal at the time of the picture but, as it was an appointment and not a rank, the paperwork often just shows as Private.

Craig

Hi Craig, appreciate your help. He was just called John Barnard according to his birth certificate on 18/3/1884

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Definitely a Fusiliers regiment, Royal Inniskilling’s, I think from the apparently curved shoulder title.  He also has a 29th Division cloth badge (aka flash) on his upper arm.

Many Englishmen served as pre-war regulars in the Irish regiments and once casualty rates set in the lack of conscription In Ireland meant that more such men had to be recruited to replace Irish battle casualties.

1D897B93-8699-4FC2-82D6-A15737F3D863.jpeg

93AD5B4B-3EB1-4F14-AAA8-EF326C568645.jpeg

5D05DBF6-2AC3-498E-9711-7951CE3F52EE.jpeg

363A407D-073D-4893-89F0-9455D93C2BDB.jpeg

E09BD112-CA74-4AC4-B506-B386F391B78D.jpeg

Hi, thanks so much for that. I confess I saw that cap badge and it looked good for me too but ruled it out as it was an Irish regiment and he’s from London. But you reckon it’s possible that he would have joined them. Seems odd bearing in mind all the London choices he would have had but???? 

Great work tho and appreciate the photos that look bang on!

Seems odd bearing in mind all the London choices he would have had but???? 

As the war went on choice went out the window and a man went where he was sent.

Craig

2 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

Welcome to the forum Leachy

I have edited your title in the hope it will attract some more attention.

Good luck with your research

David

Thanks David. You can tell I’m a novice on this

1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

As the war went on choice went out the window and a man went where he was sent.

Craig

I see, makes sense. Thanks Craig. Any ideas how I can confirm him as in that regiment at all. Tragic really as he suffered with mental illness / she’ll shock etc after the war and shot himself in 1941

I think I have just found him on the Inniskilling regiment museum site but it’s needs money confirm properly. 

Fantastic. Thanks so much 

2 hours ago, Leachy said:

I think I have just found him on the Inniskilling regiment museum site but it’s needs money confirm properly. 

There are people here who might be able to look up his medal index card (MIC) for you.  Most of the genealogy websites have them in digitised form.  MICs don’t give much information but they confirm Regiment, rank, serial number and medal entitlement.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, Leachy said:

I don't know if it's him, but there is one MIC (available to view free on Ancestry) that seems to match:

Link

Of course, there may be others that I can't find, or who weren't entitled to medals.

There's a medal,index card here on ancestry for a John Barnard, listed as serving in both the Royal fusiliers, and the inniskilling fusiliers.

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=PIv6&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&db=medalrolls&gsfn=John&gsln=Barnard&gsfn_x=NP_NN&gsln_x=1&cp=11&new=1&rank=1&uidh=l37&redir=false&msT=1&gss=angs-d&pcat=39&fh=67&h=1191928&recoff=&fsk=MDs2MDsyMA-61--61-&bsk=&pgoff=&ml_rpos=68

Dave.

Edit....Too late, same chap though.

Edited by Dave66

Private Royal Fusiliers / Munster Fusiliers MIC at National Archives: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D1175510

Private then Acting Corporal 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers at National Archives: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D1175515

May be possible to make something useful out by using the preview option and zooming in.

There are two more John Barnards listed but they have middle names or initial.

sJ

7 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Private Royal Fusiliers / Munster Fusiliers MIC at National Archives: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D1175510

Private then Acting Corporal 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers at National Archives: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D1175515

The RMF I think is a transcription error, but I can see how they read it that way.

The Lancs. Fus man's card can be seen (free) here:

Link

3 hours ago, Leachy said:

He was just called John Barnard according to his birth certificate on 18/3/1884

On the 1911 Census of England and Wales there is a 27 year old John Barnard, a financial clerk, born, Epsom, Surrey, who was recorded as the married head of the household at 42 Mandrake Road, Upper Tooting. He lives there with his wife of 5 years, Gwendoline Barnard, (aged 23, born Milford Haven, Pembroke) and their two children, Alec, (4) and Geffrey, (2) - both born Clapham.

The marriage of a John Barnard, (so no middle names) to a Gwendoline Violet Peskett was recorded in the Wandworth District in Q4 of 1906.

The births of children Alec Jack, (Q4, 1906) and Geoffrey Blake, (Q4, 1908) were registered in the Wandsworth District with mothers' maiden name shown as Peskett and "Pessket" respectively.

There are only two other births from the period that might be children of John and Gwendoline - Violet E Barnard, mothers maiden name Peskett, Wandsworth District, Q2, 1912 and Peter. D. Barnard, mothers' maiden name Peskett, Hailsham District of Sussex in Q3 of 1923.

Reason for going through all that is the confirmation of which regiment and service number relate to him may come from the Absent Voters List for the parliamentary constituency where he was normally resident in 1918 /1919. For how to go about this see:-

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/finding-soldiers-through-the-1918-absent-voters-lists/

Hope that helps,

Peter

Medal rolls for the Royal Fusiliers and inniskillings man gives his battalions:

5873 Pte John Barnard

13 R. Fus.

43475 1 Roy. Innis. Fus.

Ditto the Lancashire Fusilier:

6568 Pte John Barnard

3rd Lancs Fusrs

2nd Lancs Fusrs     act/Cpl

He has a Silver War Badge record: enlisted 10.10.1914, discharged 11.12.1917 aged 47, KR para 39 xvi

Think first chap more likely given LF's age and discharge, perhaps? Only guessing of course. Pat.

Edited by Pat Atkins
Add Lancs Fus info

An absolutely brilliant and generous response from everyone to the original poster.  Very kind.  I suspect that as an inexperienced layman he will need a summary.  My guess, subject to some research via the absent voters list as proposed above, is that the John Barnard we seek initially served with a war-raised ‘Service Battalion’ of the Royal Fusiliers that was reduced by attrition to an ineffective strength, subsequently broken up, and then drafts sent to make up the numbers of other battalions, including a regular battalion of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, whence Barnard was sent.  This was an especially common incidence after the German Offensive of March 1918.

Edited by FROGSMILE

If it is the Inniskilling man, then possibly part of a draft, particularly as he doesn’t appear to have entered a Theatre of War before the end of 1915 – only the Victory Medal and British War Medal are shown on his Medal Index Card. The 13th Battalion Royal Fusiliers landed in France in July 1915 so if he went out with them then he would have qualified for the 1915 Star.

Looking at nearby Inniskilling numbers

43470 Private Sidney Bird was previously 5421 Royal Fusiliers

43471 Private Guy Farden was previously 5523 Royal Fusiliers

43472 Private Horatio Wolstencroft was previously 492599 Royal Fusiliers

43473 Private Laurence Reavell was previously 5818 Royal Fusiliers

43474 Private Henry Bone was previously 492730 Royal Fusiliers.

43476 Serjeant Fred Hornegold was previously 4141 Royal Fusiliers

So if service \ discharge \ pension records for any of them have survived then it may give some insight into when and how John ended up serving with the Inniskillings.

BTW – the Catalogue entry at the National Archive shows him as Royal Munster Fusiliers – probably because the middle word on the card is just a scrawl – but I’m taking it from what has been posted that he does actually appear on the related Inniskilling Service Medal Roll.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D1175510

In the absence of surviving records the Medal Rolls might also confirm which battalion of the Royal Fusiliers the above soldiers came from, as the 13th Royal Fusiliers was not one of those disbanded in either the British Army re-organisation at the start of 1918 or reduced to a cadre by the German Spring Offensives.

On a different point, it may just be me but particularly in the higher contrast picture is that just the light catching a crease on the left cuff or is it a wound stripe?

Cheers,

Peter

13 minutes ago, PRC said:

the Catalogue entry at the National Archive shows him as Royal Munster Fusiliers

That would be one of the ones I posted. I just went by the transcript - should evidently have investigated the preview :)

Quick look on medal rolls and SWB records shows:

43472 Pte Wolstencroft was previously 13th Royal Fusiliers

43473 Pte Reavell was previously 2nd Royal Fusiliers and enlisted 10.22.1915

43474 L/Cpl Bone was previously 13th Royal Fusiliers

43476 Sgt Hornegold was previously 1st Royal Fusiliers

43478 Pte Veysay was previously 1st Royal Fusiliers

The men immediately around John Barnard's Inniskillings number almost all came from 13th or 1st Bn Royal Fusiliers.

Excellent detective work Pat (and Peter) you seem to have narrowed down the likely men sent as a particular draft from 13th RF to the 1st Royal Inniskillings, and much earlier in the war than I’d guessed.  

I wonder what the circumstances were, whether they were volunteers or merely nominated at short notice by their unit.

Edited by FROGSMILE

25 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Excellent detective work Pat (and Peter) you seem to have narrowed down the likely men sent as a particular draft from 13th RF to the 1st Royal Inniskillings, and much earlier in the war than I’d guessed.  

I wonder what the circumstances were, whether they were volunteers or merely nominated at short notice by their unit.

I wouldn't want to speculate too much - hopefully there are some surviving records for at least one of the names on the list that might give a better clue.

Meanwhile it's probably worth bearing in mind that the 1st Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers were in the 29th Division until February 1918. In the same Division were the 2nd Royal Fusiliers. So a draft of recovered wounded and sick, possibly mixed with trained new recruits, might have been sent out from the Royal Fusiliers Depot intended for the 2nd Royal Fusiliers. However when they reached the Infantry Base Depot that supplied men to the 29th Division, they could well have been re-directed to any unit most urgently in need of bringing up to strength.

Cheers,

Peter

3 minutes ago, PRC said:

I wouldn't want to speculate too much - hopefully there are some surviving records for at least one of the names on the list that might give a better clue.

Meanwhile it's probably worth bearing in mind that the 1st Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers were in the 29th Division until February 1918. In the same Division were the 2nd Royal Fusiliers. So a draft of recovered wounded and sick, possibly mixed with trained new recruits, might have been sent out from the Royal Fusiliers Depot intended for the 2nd Royal Fusiliers. However when they reached the Infantry Base Depot that supplied men to the 29th Division, they could well have been re-directed to any unit most urgently in need of bringing up to strength.

Cheers,

Peter

Yes, that makes a lot of sense Peter, and chimes with my understanding of the typical workings of IBDs in France & Flanders.

Edited by FROGSMILE