Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

19th Manchester Service Bn

Piscator

Terry

I suspect no need for contact with the Museum now - 6th battalion looks pretty right from Chris' information.

In terms of finding out the Battalion's activities, I am fairly sure that there is no copy of its War Diary outside the National Archives. Other than that, the only history is that of 42nd Division (available from Naval & Military Press - and well worth it)

The Regimental Archives are currently closed but are due to re=open in a few weeks. They have some bits and bobs of donations, including a typed copy of a chap's recollections which is well worth a read if you are able to get to Ashton under Lyne.

I've done some research into men on my local war memorials. If you click on the link below you'll find write-ups on the Battalion's two major attacks at Gallipoli. Look-up Zaccheus Holme on the Cheadle Hulme Memorial (for 4/6/15) and Thomas Worthington on the Cheadle Memorial (for 7/8/15)

John

Dates that may be relevant from my grandpa's diary:

26,27,28 &29 Jan pages missing (may mean nothing as the 15th and 30th he Went skating at Ezbekich Gardens, Cairo.)

8th Feb went to 6th Batt concert (so I guess he wasn't in the 6th)

9th & 10th feb pages missing.

20th feb he is having to go to the isolation hospital feeling ill, refuses stretcher and says "another 6th chap in on a stretcher. " So maybe he was a 6th after all.

8th March says"One of our chaps and also 8th chap brought in. (still in hospital chap that went in with him died) Looks like he was 6th not 8th.

"18 SUN - 2 after EASTER

Church parade Wesleyan

8.30 am I am orderly Cpl. So cannot go" (So looks like he was a corporal not a private.)

24th - 27th April Pages missing (Gallipoli action started this time)

28th April Under orders for the Dardanelles

4th May Tues packed like herrings[unclear].arr. Alexand dock at 5.0am Our boat is the Crispin.

10 May MON "Busy on the bridge all morning. Our ship moves 4 miles down & we land in small bands at Cape Ellis.[Ed. Helles] The first thing we do is to dig ourselves in as we are under shell fire. Aeroplanes very busy about 10-0pm we have to move a mile further up on the cliffs. "

12th July " We attack Turks starting 4-0am by heavy bombardment until 1-0pm. Our infantry advances. We again bombard at 4-0 pm until 6-0 pm very heavy assisted by warship.

Krithea reduced to ruin by them. At 7-0 pm witnessed a fine bayonet charge by our chaps."

There should be afew clues here.... I don't want to bore you with too much or you may stop helping me :o

TTFN

Terry.