Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Whistle

Hutch

Possibly. in the production process, the attachment of the strap preceded the arrow stamp so the stamp was put on the strap or, if no strap, on the ring? Maybe the strap was pre-stamped.

25 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Possibly. in the production process, the attachment of the strap preceded the arrow stamp so the stamp was put on the strap or, if no strap, on the ring? Maybe the strap was pre-stamped.

That would certainly be sufficient to satisfy the war department contract, much easier if the straps were brought in pre stamped though.

The latest one I have that's stamped between the Windows is 15, 

2 hours ago, PhilB said:

So much better to put the arrow on the body stamp?

To stamp between the Windows would require a certain amount of skill, too heavy and probably distorted and scrapped. If that skilled workforce were enlisting and new workers coming in, much easier to stamp the ring as far less precision needed...just a thought???

Edited by Dave66

I actually meant easier to stamp the arrow on the flat sheet before rolling, along with the year date etc!:thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, PhilB said:

I actually meant easier to stamp the arrow on the flat sheet before rolling, along with the year date etc!:thumbsup:

Would be much easier, as in the Indian ones. Probably simpler to make stock items then stamp as needed.

On 01/04/2019 at 16:47, Hutch said:

Yes seem are exactly the same, I contacted the chap who runs the Whistleshop Website and he said he had seen a couple of these examples before with the .19 address and he would come back in a couple of days with a more accurate date. 

I will keep you posted....:)

OK Leif from the whistle shop has emailed to say the.19 address is 1930's possibly later which is bang on what you said Dave. I think I will keep it anyway and keep searching.....

All the best Hutch 

Edited by Hutch

You'll find them additive. I started with an arrow marked 1907 with leather strap just so that I had an example. I now have a pre WWI commercially sold, 1915, 1918, G.P.O marked, Manchester Police, Air Ministry marked, ARP, 1941 arrow marked and a double ended motor torpedo boat whistle!

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 12:22, trench whistle said:

If you look out for a 1918 dated one these had steel bodies as an economy measure to save on brass the mouthpiece and end cap were still plated brass as with earlier whistles. They're quite distinctive and I don't think these have been reproduced.

These two whistles show differing steel/brass construction from 1917. They are unusual in showing the cancelled arrow marks.

IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG

Those are very nice, especially with the sold out of service marks. Will have to keep my eyes peeled for one of those!

15 hours ago, Dave66 said:

The latest one I have that's stamped between the Windows is 15, 

I`ve checked mine and I don`t have a post 1915 British whistle with arrow on body either. (It had never struck me before!)

Not so, of course, on Imperial issues, as shown previously.  There is an obvious omission here - anyone got a 1918 Indian issue?

IMG_2713.JPG

7 hours ago, PhilB said:

I`ve checked mine and I don`t have a post 1915 British whistle with arrow on body either. (It had never struck me before!)

Not so, of course, on Imperial issues, as shown previously.  There is an obvious omission here - anyone got a 1918 Indian issue?

IMG_2713.JPG

Nice grouping, only have two Indian, the 1917 pictured in this thread and an earlier 1905...haven't seen an 18 though.

I used to be able to find whistles regularly in antique shops and flea markets relatively cheaply, but they seem to have dried up as all on eBay (too expensive) but always keep eyes peeled.....especially for the one shaped as a tank, don't suppose I'd find one of those for thirty quid.

From what I've seen of the Great War copies, never seen one with the correct riveted leather strap ( happy to be corrected)...so may be an extra indication as to being genuine.

Hutch, thanks for the info on the B19 address, will fit in niceley with a WW2 collection...I'm sure you will get more from all era's.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

Dave

not all had riveted straps I have a pattern item somewhere of the strap with a pippin punches hole at both ends. The narrower end for going through the ring and the wider end passes through the hole of the narrow end and is then pulled tight. 

Regards

Dave

My 1907 has a sewn strap. My 1918 whistle I bought last year for a pound in a house clearance place. They are still out there just need to be lucky to find them.

Could non broad arrow WW1 dated whistles be Private Purchase through outfitters? i.e supplied for military use but bought with the rest of an officer's kit.

I don't see why not but I imagine there'd be no problem getting one from the QM. I'm not aware that anyone offered a de luxe officers' version. (Cue somebody posting one!)

It's possible that they wouldn't be allowed as the tone might differ from standard.

Edited by PhilB

I'm sure commercial straps varied, I also have a metropolitan with a sewn strap but no military issue stamps....with a riveted (regulation pattern) strap it is safe to assume it was issued with the piece..other types of strap could be of a later period , and added to a whistle to add value.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

1 hour ago, PhilB said:

I don't see why not but I imagine there'd be no problem getting one from the QM. I'm not aware that anyone offered a de luxe officers' version. (Cue somebody posting one!)

It's possible that they wouldn't be allowed as the tone might differ from standard.

According to the 1939 army and navy catalogue, the regulation pattern metropolitan  was also available in "solid hallmarked silver"....I wonder if the same applied some twenty five years earlier?

So just so I understand....is it reasonable to assume if it's a 1914-18 dated whistle and it is without the broad arrows it probably didn't get used in war service? 

Confused.com :huh:

Not necessarily....of the six I have with the regulation strap (as would be issued to infantry) none are broad arrow marked....if only they could talk, all we can do is speculate without cast iron provenance.

Dont forget also, there was also the escargot that was issued to artillery and they too were dated.

Just having a mooch, and spotted this little gem. 

Solid silver trench whistle presented to a Major of the R.F.A. in 1906 so may well have seen some service.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-Whistle-Military-Artillery-Interest/283443197269?hash=item41fe87f555:g:eNEAAOSwzvpcqOJv

edit...Honourable artillery company, not R.F.A.

Edited by Dave66

Hi

the straps of the whistles varied throughout the war; there being several different examples which can be found, riveted, stitched and some with the strap looped through itself. There are also numerous examples with a metal chain which can be found although I’d imagine these were changed for regimental reasons.

• 1 year later...

Some info on whistles

The 'Thong, leather, 8 1/2 inch' for Artillery and Infantry whistles; also for Watches GS, Watches RA and Watches stop, was introduced in 1917.

'At its narrow, or blunt end the thong is now punched with a hole and slit; this enables the pointed end to be passed through this slit, after first passing through the whistle ring, and is then pulled tight.

official date of the introduction of GSW in The British army, MkIV infantry whistle as LoC 9538 -1899 List of changes,

Officers brought their owns whistles, right up to the late 1930s there was no official pattern of an officers whistle.

1934wh.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

What about a whistle with an arrow Mark but with a “U” stamped over it and a slash mark “/“ over it? Does anyone know the meaning?

thank you,

Josh 

If it is an arrow in the U it may be South Africa

as said its South Africa issue, the slash means more or less sold out of service mark cancelled , you get C with arrow for Canada and also NZ ones, same again slash through when sold off.