Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Whistle

Hutch

Following a life long interest in WW2 I went to the Somme 4 years ago and have been hooked on the Great War ever since. 

I have started a small collection but as you can tell I'm not as  experienced as many of you good people on here, so my question is I want to add an authentic trench whistle to my collection but I'm horrified to see the reproductions you can purchase which are "aged" and could easily fool  someone as inexperienced as myself. Can you chaps offer some advice what to look for and avoid? Do WW1 issued always have the crows feet stamp I've seen plenty dated 14-18 but without this.

Thank you in advance Hutch

Hutch,

I'm certain you will get some replies but this subject has been discussed before.  For instance, see here:

Good luck with the collecting.

Michael.

Plenty of threads on here, but the simplest way to spot an aged modern souvenir is the thickness of the finger ring. Modern ones tend to be very thin, where an original Hudson will be thicker with slightly concave sides.

Theres a very informative site here showing numerous dated examples....http://www.whistleshop.co.uk/index.html

Dave.

Edited by Dave66
Link added

Thank you all, i will have a search :thumbsup:

@Dave66 thanks for that tip I see what you mean about the thin finger ring 

Great site also showing the different whistle types I never thought there would be so many different varieties 

Every day is a school day 😁

excellent link Dave, I'm going to find my examples and compare.

Simon

Happy to help, an interesting collecting field in itself.

Another couple of  sites here that's quite informative....http://www.whistlemuseum.com/2016/11/11/dating-of-hudson-tube-whistles-news-pre-post-victorian-times-by-stamps/

http://chrisraper.org.uk/blog/?page_id=5868

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

I went to a local antiques shop today and have the opportunity to purchase this 

Seems military issue but no date, I've compared it to the many on the whistle shop website but can't match it with the same address all the ones on his website refer to Barr St Birmingham, any ideas?

20190330_170214.jpg

20190330_170241.jpg

Edited by Hutch

4 minutes ago, Hutch said:

I went to a local antiques shop today and have the opportunity to purchase this 

Seems military issue but no date, I've compared it to the many on the whistle shop website but can't match it with the same address any ideas?

20190330_170214.jpg

20190330_170241.jpg

From the chrisdraper blog in my previous post, as it has a pip on the diaphragm certainly after 1939 but as you say unusual stamp.

image.png

Here's one I bought a few years ago. Dated 1915 - it seems never to have been polished and has acquired a honey coloured patina.

RSCN1307.JPG.ffab4a5387d2dc2a7d9818bf86fc37d7.JPG

28 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Snap!

IMG_2702.JPG

Haven't got one, but have similar where the address is Barr st hockley stamped under the metropolitan...has the diaphragm pip so post 39....and has the thicker finger ring so pre 1970.

According to wiki, Birmingham postcodes were introduced 1932/4, but hockley would be B18.

1 hour ago, Gunner Bailey said:

Here's one I bought a few years ago. Dated 1915 - it seems never to have been polished and has acquired a honey coloured patina.

RSCN1307.JPG.ffab4a5387d2dc2a7d9818bf86fc37d7.JPG

Love that sleepy patina, all mine are shiny...nice iconic Great War piece of history.

15 hours ago, Dave66 said:

Love that sleepy patina, all mine are shiny...nice iconic Great War piece of history

I've always wondered if it blew on the 1st July 1916.

If only these historic items could tell us where they have been. 

If you look out for a 1918 dated one these had steel bodies as an economy measure to save on brass the mouthpiece and end cap were still plated brass as with earlier whistles. They're quite distinctive and I don't think these have been reproduced.

On 30/03/2019 at 19:44, PhilB said:

Snap!

IMG_2702.JPG

Yes seem are exactly the same, I contacted the chap who runs the Whistleshop Website and he said he had seen a couple of these examples before with the .19 address and he would come back in a couple of days with a more accurate date. 

I will keep you posted....:)

5 hours ago, trench whistle said:

If you look out for a 1918 dated one these had steel bodies as an economy measure to save on brass the mouthpiece and end cap were still plated brass as with earlier whistles. They're quite distinctive and I don't think these have been reproduced.

A couple of examples. In both cases the arrow is stamped on the ring not the body.

IMG_2705.JPG

1 hour ago, PhilB said:

A couple of examples. In both cases the arrow is stamped on the ring not the body.

IMG_2705.JPG

Hudson 18's were of a blackened finish, and I think production to steel changed sometime in 17.

15 and 16 hudsons are quite abundant but the 17 and 18 are far scarcer, decourcey seemed to make up the shortfall in supply as Hudson was strugling to keep up in production.

Nice pic Phil, good to see the production changes. I have an 18, no broad arrow on the whistle but on the leather strap instead.

Dave.

image.jpeg

Edited by Dave66

And another thing! Here are 2 de Courcy and 2 Hudson 1918 whistles. I`ve noticed the inconsistency in the stamping of the arrow marks on them (and other years). Surely the arrows weren`t individually hand stamped - though that`s the conclusion I`ve reached?

IMG_2707.JPG

33 minutes ago, PhilB said:

And another thing! Here are 2 de Courcy and 2 Hudson 1918 whistles. I`ve noticed the inconsistency in the stamping of the arrow marks on them (and other years). Surely the arrows weren`t individually hand stamped - though that`s the conclusion I`ve reached?

IMG_2707.JPG

I always presumed hand stamped given the variations, suppose a fly press could be set up quite easily.

7 minutes ago, PhilB said:

So much better to put the arrow on the body stamp?

Easier for us to spot!

Presume production process changed, often wondered if the finger ring would be stamped before assembly then assembled as per contract?

Just a thought on the broad arrow marking, just checked mine and no broad arrow on the whistles with the leather strap, but finger ring stamped on the one with fitted chain...if the strap were stamped previously that would greatly reduce the numbers if they were hand stamped.