The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Penny dreadful

seaJane

3 hours ago, BIFFO said:

current bid 9not by me)£10050 :w00t:

£50 for the pair - £1000 for the hype!  :innocent:

1 hour ago, redbarchetta said:

How ridiculous.  Yet the far more interesting, and fairly indisputably genuine Sam Browne belt buckle with a shell fragment embedded in it, plus the pair for the Lt in the Cheshires who wore it, sits at £18 (lot 6014A).  I know which I'd rather be spending my money on...

James

With you there! 

Just had a look see on Hanson's currently  £1250 as the auction starts 22 March,still plenty of time for people with more money than sense to bid :w00t:

I do wonder why he kept a penny in his breast pocket?? just the one?? 

could understand it if it were his birth year but not around 10 years before.

On 16/03/2019 at 07:48, Gunner Bailey said:

More logical. I'd have thought a rifle bullet would have straight through. BBC expert thought it was a pistol bullet. Surely if that was the case the man himself would have included close combat in the story. 

I've seen several examples in my youth of a .22 rimfire bullet penetrating an old penny completely. WW1 military rifle rounds were 20 - 30 times as powerful, and the standard German 9mmP pistol round was more than 3 times as powerful. The dent looks small for a shrapnel ball, and the deposit - if that's what it is - at the bottom looks like a brassy alloy. It could reasonably be a 9mm pistol bullet that was underpowered or had already penetrated something like an inch or two of timber. What was behind the penny? Why wasn't it driven in, causing other injury that way? A 7,65mm pistol round - and there were some around - would be more credible.

Clearly it's been hit by something ballistic, but it's difficult to accept the story as presented uncritically.

Edited by MikB

1 hour ago, MikB said:

Clearly it's been hit by something ballistic, but it's difficult to accept the story as presented uncritically

Steel dome punch and the correct hammer. Correct "bullet" size and right amount of pressure I think I can reproduce the effect. 

As I said in my first post, it is to clinical. 

What's happened  to the hundred years of pattina that should be present at the bottom of the dent  ?

Also the coin looks to be rather worn' just look at queen Vic's head for a coin that had only been in circulation for 25 years when struck by the so called bullet

penny.JPG.71c380f59aa27108dc1bef37982c1699.JPG

cannot help but be sceptical

3 hours ago, RaySearching said:

Also the coin looks to be rather worn' just look at queen Vic's head for a coin that had only been in circulation for 25 years when struck by the so called bullet

I used to collect coins (all those years ago!) and to me it looks just as I would expect a 25 year old penny to look.

However, what I can't figure out is that the obverse side (head) has the bullet mark at 10 o'clock, so the reverse should have it at 2 o'clock - but it's at 4 o'clock.

BillyH.

gwf2.jpg.84949d7eb6e3773f901a390007ff5972.jpg

The lot containing the damaged penny has sold this morning for £4,500!

Have a look at Hanson's Auction House website.

Martin

9 minutes ago, tootrock said:

The lot containing the damaged penny has sold this morning for £4,500!

Have a look at Hanson's Auction House website.

Martin

Astounding....gobsmacked!

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 17:43, chaz said:

I do wonder why he kept a penny in his breast pocket?? just the one?? 

could understand it if it were his birth year but not around 10 years before.

Whilst tending to agree with the various doubts expressed, if genuine, this might perhaps have been the outermost of a larger number of coins in a purse or pouch in the man's pocket.