Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

seaJane

Penny dreadful

seaJane

Another bullet+penny story, but the medical bit is gruesome.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-47575493

Dave66

A very lucky man.... I'll never grumble about my tinnitus and hearing loss again, great story and thanks for sharing it.

Dave.

seaJane

:) tinnitus is the pits, isn't it?

Dave66
2 minutes ago, seaJane said:

:) tinnitus is the pits, isn't it?

its horrible those bells permanently ringing in the background, a result of years in industry I'm afraid....and I'm not lying when I can't hear Mrs B!

BillyH

Great story, but I really can't imagine why the family would consider selling this item. It will be interesting to see what it goes for though, surely it won't be all that much?

BillyH.

GWF1967
3 minutes ago, BillyH said:

Great story, but I really can't imagine why the family would consider selling this item. It will be interesting to see what it goes for though, surely it won't be all that much?

BillyH.

Same thought here. I wouldn't part with the coin, certainly wouldn't part with the medals.

"These belonged to my....."  is an all too common addition to medal and photo listings on e@ay. 

GWF1967
34 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Another bullet+penny story, but the medical bit is gruesome.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-47575493

Gruesome indeed. :blink:

- though it reminded me of  Granddad's cigar case in Only Fools and Horses. :lol:

Michael Thomson

A fascinating story...he definitely had a very lucky escape from death there, though his injury still sounds like it was extremely painful. 

I'd want to keep such an item in the family along with his medals if he were a relative of mine, but I suppose many people have a non-sentimental outlook on these sorts of things. I can't imagine it will fetch a great sum as someone above said. Its a pity. 

seaJane

I suppose it's theirs to do what they want with, and suppose it was to pay for one of the children to go to university or something? I don't suppose the owner would begrudge them the chance.

Dave66
2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Same thought here. I wouldn't part with the coin, certainly wouldn't part with the medals.

"These belonged to my....."  is an all too common addition to medal and photo listings on e@ay. 

I agree, my grandfathers medals etc went out of the family years ago...where, I don't know, but it denied the future generations from having the honour of being custodians.

GWF1967
40 minutes ago, seaJane said:

I suppose it's theirs to do what they want with, and suppose it was to pay for one of the children to go to university or something? I don't suppose the owner would begrudge them the chance.

Without being too scathing, the medals which have been in the family for 100 years will make around £50;  once sold they're probably gone forever.  The money is more likely to be spent on an Xbox game which stand a good chance of  being on eBay within a few months. 

BillyH
58 minutes ago, seaJane said:

- - - pay for university?  it's not a Victoria Cross we're talking about here Jane. It's just a bent penny, but surely it should still be a very important memento to his family.

BillyH.

Scalyback

Nice story, trying to be nice here. How can it be shown that it is not a behind the lines workshop trinket? The strike looks too clean and neat, the lip of the coin is too neat for the "bullet" to then travel else where. Looks what hit the coin stopped there. Then for the spent bullet to travel that far up to cause damage in the ear via the nose, already slowed by the initial impact. 

No doubt the chap was brave and injury ensured but the method just does not make sense to me. Another family story.  

www.civilwarbadges.com/images/store/2-25-16s6c.jpg That looks very similar to the articles coin!

redbarchetta

Impact looks more like a shrapnel ball impact, if it is genuine, rather than a pistol or rifle bullet.  Ball also more likely to travel that path through his head without killing him, as opposed to a tumbling bullet.  IMHO...

daggers

Photo of a mobile phone pierced by an arrow in today’s paper!

Rum Ration
GWF1967

The auction estimate seems a little high for a pair and a penny. 

OLD ROBIN HOOD

Greetings From Sherwood Forest.

They say that he was in the Northamptonshire Regt but his photograph shows him as Notts & Derby.

Old Robin Hood

Gunner Bailey
19 hours ago, redbarchetta said:

Impact looks more like a shrapnel ball impact, if it is genuine, rather than a pistol or rifle bullet.  Ball also more likely to travel that path through his head without killing him, as opposed to a tumbling bullet.  IMHO...

More logical. I'd have thought a rifle bullet would have straight through. BBC expert thought it was a pistol bullet. Surely if that was the case the man himself would have included close combat in the story. 

Edited by Gunner Bailey

tootrock

According to the Fox News article he was shot on a French battlefield in 1914, but records show he did not enlist until May 1916!

Martin

caulkheader

I seem to remember reading an article several years ago when there was a rash of these ‘artefacts’ coming onto the market.

Basically, some scientifically minded enthusiastic bought several on the open market and then had then tested. Turns out that the residue left on most of the coins from the offending bullets was not compatible with ordnance of the period. In other words (shock horror) they were fake!

Anyone else recall the article?

ss002d6252
58 minutes ago, tootrock said:

According to the Fox News article he was shot on a French battlefield in 1914, but records show he did not enlist until May 1916!

Martin

The BBC article stated he was shot at age 19 in 1918, which appears correct, but god knows where they got 1914 from (Fox aren't known for accuracy though).

His pension ledger survives, and interestingly, they thought his injuries were only very minor and he was less than 20% disabled.

They say that he was in the Northamptonshire Regt but his photograph shows him as Notts & Derby.

The surviving bits of records only show him as Northants but the North Hants number seems to be from June 17, at a depot in France. Looks like a batch of men transferred to 6th Bn.

Craig

BIFFO
23 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

The auction estimate seems a little high for a pair and a penny. 

current bid 9not by me)£1050 :w00t:

Edited by BIFFO

tootrock
35 minutes ago, BIFFO said:

current bid 9not by me)£10050 :w00t:

An extra zero has crept in there, should be £1,050 according to the auction site, but still very high! Plus 30% commission

Martin

redbarchetta

How ridiculous.  Yet the far more interesting, and fairly indisputably genuine Sam Browne belt buckle with a shell fragment embedded in it, plus the pair for the Lt in the Cheshires who wore it, sits at £18 (lot 6014A).  I know which I'd rather be spending my money on...

James