Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry (Harry) Leveridge (Siam) Royal Dublin Fusiliers

BCBangkok

Whilst looking through the Naturalization records on The National Archives I came acrosws Aaron Leibovitch, from Romania. He was naturalised in 1926, so is not our man. What struck me, however, was that he was recorded as Aaron {or Harry} Leibovitch. Perhaps Harry is an anglisisation of Aaron, and we should be looking for Aaron Leibovitch's birth record?

Regards,

Alf McM

Whoever he turns out to be, I note he also appears as wounded probably early Sept(edited see below?) 1916 (actual wounding say 4 weeks earlier than CasList)

H Leveridge 20401 R Dublin Fus Wounded    CasList 7/10/16

FindmyPast contains a Medical Record Hospital Admissions 3/7/16 GSW Thigh, 2nd Bn RDF, age 20 (thus born c 1896), 1+ yr Service, 6mths Field Force. Trf to Hospital Ship Egypt.

Presumably a First day of the Somme casualty ?

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Hi Guys,

Tremendous feedback.

> Alf McM - great thanks. Small World ...I live on the aforementioned Sathorn Road, and my made lives at the location where lot 960 used to be!! I love the 'Born Cork' - you would not appreciate how many errors occur in everyday life here because of simple misunderstanding! We were at a 'posh' hotel yesterday and my partner asked for 'the restaurant;' and was shown to the 'restroom'!

>corisande - again many thanks. I have only ever used 'FreeBMD' before. I guess Athlone being so far from Cork would undermine 'being from Cork', although I often say, when asked, I am from a particular village but I was physically born at a hospital some six miles away but was brought up in the village. 

>Pat Atkins - Thanks - I had looked his anglicizing his name but cannot understand why he would?

Regards,

Paul Cheesman

Honorary Secretary

The British Club Bangkok

I believe antisemitism and/or xenophobia (of whatever ilk, real or perceived) might prompt people to Anglicise their name: the most famous example at a slightly later date being the Battenburgs, perhaps! I could be wrong, but I think there are (non-Jewish as well as Jewish) examples in e.g. the 38th-42nd Bns Royal Fusiliers, the so-called 'Jewish Legion'.

However, doesnt mean it's the case here, of course.

Pat

The problem with all this is supposition.

If his real name was Aaron Leibovitch (and we do not know what it was) then it is unlikely that he would have enlisted with that name.  Forget the Jewishness to an Irish ear it sounds German . It was true in English enlistments as well. "German" sounding names were altered to sound "British". There have been a number of threads on this on the Forum

In addition I have researched many hundreds of Irishmen. Some were born abroad, but found it easier to say "Dublin" or "Cork" than somewhere exotic like "Bangkok" or "Buenos Aires"

But that is surmise, and does not take you forward

My own view (and this too is surmise) is that he was born in Bangkok, probably as Aaron Liebovich. If you cannot find a birth in Bangkok, probably the only other place to look would be in Shipping Records for the three months before he enlisted in England. The fact that he enlisted in England, not Ireland,  could indicate that he had just stepped off the boat

6 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

the most famous example at a slightly later date being the Battenburgs,

I think the Saxe Coburg Gotha were more famous , they changed their name to Windsor. And even when Elizabeth Windsor married Philip Mountbatten the law was altered to stop the next king , Charles, being of the house of Mountbatten, and he and his descendants are Windsors

However you look at it, the Germans were not popular in UK in 1914. Mind you took till 1917 for the change to Windsor

Paul,

Is it possible that Aaron Liebovich's birth, and possibly death, were recorded in the Straits Times?

Regards,

Alf McM

His service no in RDF indicates an enlistment of late Aug 1915

2 hours ago, corisande said:

enlistment of late Aug 1915

The Hospital Admissions record I referred to above said that at July 1916 he had at least 1 full year of service. If your happy about your numbering then it is not unusual for Hospital Admissions to be a bit out. But in same ballpark.

Charlie

He is 20401

20379 enlisted 18 Aug 1915

20386 enlisted 22 Aug 1915

He did though enlist in England, and I would think that they had a block of numbers allocated to England. If so it could be a little earlier of or later, but I would not have thought very different

2 hours ago, corisande said:

block of numbers allocated to England

Perhaps these were also England enlistments ?

20407 enlisted 20/7/15 at ??  (Discharge Papers)

20405 had 1yr 3/12th service as at 13/10/16 (Hosp Admission) thus enlisted July 1915.

20416 enlisted 29/7/15 (SWB)

So probably those early 20400s are July 1915 enlisment in a seperate block as you suggest.

Charlie

Sorry I missed charlie962 from my previous thank you, For some reason your posting did not appear yesterday!!!!

Query, if he was injured in 1915, why is he listed as KIA in 1918?

Regards,

Paul Cheesman

Honorary Secretary

The British Club Bangkok

7 hours ago, BCBangkok said:

Query, if he was injured in 1915, why is he listed as KIA in 1918?

Two completely separate events but all part of the man's history.

Charlie