Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry (Harry) Leveridge (Siam) Royal Dublin Fusiliers

BCBangkok

The kind people at Royal Dublin Fusiliers were able to trace a death recorded on the Bangkok War Memorial being ...

Henry Leveridge 20401 R.D.F. 2nd Battalion

Born Cork Ireland

Enlisted Shoreditch Middlesex

Died 21st March 1918

Memorial Pozieres Somme France ( no known grave)

Will left to Mrs F Holloway 17 Cross Lances Road Hounslow Middlesex 

Residence Bangkok Siam

Is there any way of tracing when in Cork he was born?

Regards,

Paul Cheesman

Honorary Secretary

The British Club Bangkok

4 hours ago, BCBangkok said:

The kind people at Royal Dublin Fusiliers were able to trace a death recorded on the Bangkok War Memorial being ...

Henry Leveridge 20401 R.D.F. 2nd Battalion

Born Cork Ireland

Enlisted Shoreditch Middlesex

Died 21st March 1918

Memorial Pozieres Somme France ( no known grave)

Will left to Mrs F Holloway 17 Cross Lances Road Hounslow Middlesex 

Residence Bangkok Siam

Is there any way of tracing when in Cork he was born?

Regards,

Paul Cheesman

Honorary Secretary

The British Club Bangkok

There doesn't appear to be any Irish birth record for him - the nearest I can see is a Walter Leveridge  but he was born 1914. In the 1901 census there are no Leveridge's recorded as living in Ireland.

There is a medical record which notes his age as 20 in 1916.

Craig

Did Henry have a middle initial by any chance? Or get married?

George

Hi Julian. The link for Leveridge’s WILL is not working. If you search any other soldiers name on the website & click the hyper link - you will see it load up a PDF document with typically the soldiers hand written informal will. 

Henry Loveridge was not born in Cork. However there does seem to be a connection to Cork. His Father George was living and working in Cork on the 1911 census. George Loveridge   

It it does seem quite plausible that Henry Leveridge (Cork) = Henry Loveridge (Athlone/Dublin)

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all,

Many thanks for your help in this matter. AS there are no recorded 'Leveridges' in Siam pre-WWI, I will research 'Loveridge' as ell.

Regards,

Paul Cheesman

Honorary Secretary

British Club Bangkok

1. There is a small family tree on Ancestry (marked private, so you need to contact them) Ancestry Tree - click

2. Strange that he was living in Bangkok (or had Bangkok as his residence) . One has to question how or why he stated that.

3. His next of kin is given as Mrs F Holloway, which could not be his mother re-marrying as she was Mary Jane. So who was Mrs F Holloway, as it does not seem to have been a sisier who married either

4. He may not have been Henry Walter Loverage (though the balance of probability is that he was) and could for example have been Henry Holloway using Leverage and Bangkok as an alias. Experience tells me that soldiers usually did give a real contact as kin in case of their death.

5. 2nd RDF was really decimated on the day he died, he was one of hundreds

Yes, that is possible that it is her husband

I have tried in vain to get a "Holloway"  at Cross Lanes Rd in 1911 census. Ancestry will not let me rfoine closer than "Cross Lanes Road" with over 300 people. No Holloways, but I cannot get no17 without looking at all 300

There was a Frances Beatrice Holloway living with her husband, Ernest Edgar Holloway, at 14 Cross Lances Road in 1917. Her maiden name was Newman.

There is also in 1939 Register a Mrs Florence Beatrice Holloway living with husband at 14 Cross Lances Lane, but she married him in 1904 and was nee Florence Beatrice Newman

That gives her dob as 1882, while 1911 census gives it as 1887

• 3 months later...

I have found out from a 1923 edition of the Straits Times (a Singapore newspaper), that his mother was Mrs Liebovitch. Perhaps he was born with the same name?

I think it is more likely that her first husband {Leveridge/Loveridge} died, and she then married Mr. Liebovitch. There may be a record of her husband's death or her second marriage in The Straits Times.

Regards,

Alf McM

• 2 weeks later...

I can trace a Mr J. Leobovitch, presumable his father, as  a reporter on the 'Siam Maitri' - a weekly newspaper in 1912,

Is anyone able to confirm a Henry Leibovitch born in Cork?

Edited by BCBangkok

Not that I can see on Ancestry...

George

Findmypast have a passenger list showing Abram Leibovitch sailing to Massachusettes in 1926. He was born in Siam in 1904, and his mother was Adela Leibovitch, living at 960 Sattornroad, Bangkok. He was a Student and nationality was Hebrew. His final destination was to be Chelsea. Perhaps he is a brother of Harry?  https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=US%2FPASS%2FMA%2F005104565%2F00602&parentid=US%2FPASSENGERLISTS%2F00008775726

Regards,

Alf McM

What if, when Harry attested and was asked where he was born he said 'Bangkok', but the attesting officer misheard this as 'born Cork'?

Regards,

Alf McM

10 hours ago, BCBangkok said:

Is anyone able to confirm a Henry Leibovitch born in Cork?

One of the (many) great things about Ireland is full free access to BMD certs for this period

You can chck all the permutations you want - click for Irish Government GRO free access.

The answer to you question is "No"

For the record, here is the man born Athlone

leveridge.jpg.707485cbc53742e9582f24e05b5e13f4.jpg

On 13/03/2019 at 11:09, alf mcm said:

With regard to item 3, the 'F' in Mrs F. Holloway may be her husband's initial

Soldiers' Effects gives Legatee (no relationship noted)  as Florence Holloway

It also says he ha a War Grat of £15-10-00

I am struck by the consonance and identical syllable stress pattern of Liebovitch and Leveridge - suggests the latter name might be just an anglicisation of the former?

Apologies if you'd all accepted or rejected this possibility long since!

Pat