Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spielberg's '1917'

Mark Hone

1 hour ago, better ole said:

Saw it today. A tale of friendship and resilience.  Could have been set in any war. Paid £5.99 for a couple of hours entertainment, not a documentary. Never saw any mention of Spielberg in the credits.

I agree, the message was the main story, I saw it and had to tell myself to ignore historic facts and just go with the flow, very much like when he jumped into what looked like the Colorado rapids.

• Admin

Suspend any knowledge of historical facts when you go and see it. Didn’t help that the cinema was grossly overheated. 

13 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Suspend any knowledge of historical facts when you go and see it. Didn’t help that the cinema was grossly overheated. 

Only 5 in the cinema this afternoon, first showing. The lady in front of me commented on the way out that she thought she had been fighting in the war, so one satisfied customer at least.

I went with my 86 year old mum, she's been to the Western front 5 times and she said it was like a boys own first world war adventure film lol.

Saw it today in the world epicentre of cultural sophistication that is Neath. Went home to a pizza supper. Posh doesn't get posher than this...

Mrs Lewis enjoyed it, but didn't feel moved (no hankie required), she found the plot unrealistic/ far-fetched...

I enjoyed it with reservations. Ignoring any wrinkles over kit, equipment etc I found the story only mildly interesting and largely un-engaging. I didn't really care what happened to the lead characters. 

There IS a lengthy scene where the devastation of the trench area is portrayed in a very visceral manner. Very good. There is also a scene where an "advance" through a battered French village/town is illuminated by night-time flares - I found that to be visually stunning. The (unrealistic?) scene (shown in the pre-release trailer) of a soldier running at right angles to an attack over grassy fields was actually visually effective. The "explosions" (were they "real" or CGI?) were very impressive. The sound-track added to the occasional bit of tension.

I enjoyed "Dunkirk" more than "1917", as did Mrs Lewis. "1917" was not a patch on e.g. "Slumdog Millionaire" or "Once Upon a Time In Hollywood" in entertainment value. Nowhere near "Paths of Glory" etc...

Others may differ in their views of course. But I paid my £4.50 and took my choice...and this is my review!

Bernard

Just back from the cinema. 

I found the film quite enjoyable.

No history lessons, just a dramatic story with a Great War setting.

Excellent visuals and atmosphere. 

Derek. 

11 hours ago, Moonraker said:

Generally positive review in today's Daily Telegraph, titled "As polished as brass button but emotionally hollow". However, "... the conflict feels more like a video game - a series of increasingly difficult and hair-raising challenges".

Moonraker

After sleeping on it, I have to agree with the DT's reviewer: the film does run very much like  a first-person video shooter game, going up a level with every task completed. With the difficulty level set reasonably low - those Germans couldn't hit a barn door with their rifles. And being set in early summer still really niggles: the man sitting next to me in the cinema remarked just as the lights were going down how authenticity and attention to detail is now so expected and achieved - well that went out the window in the first 10 seconds! And ultimately, just like video games, I really couldn't empathise with the lead characters. My verdict - too clever by half. Worth watching on a rainy evening.  :(

The main character's continual mishaps and injuries reminded me of "The Revenant" and I'm still wondering the whereabouts of the person who milked the cow.

Spent some time spotting the visual references to WW1 paintings and newspaper photos/film of the time but also enjoyed moments of technical brilliance although interspersed by the predictable. 

12 hours ago, Bernard_Lewis said:

I enjoyed "Dunkirk" more than "1917",

Bernard

That's a poor recommendation.

Just now, Steven Broomfield said:

That's a poor recommendation.

I realise that. But, for entertainment, we actually left the "Dunkirk" film feeling that we had been well *entertained*. Less so, yesterday. But "1917" is still worth a look...

Bernard

How do you get into the cinema for £4.50 or £5.99? 

We pay double that in Kent :devilgrin:

Edited by Gunner Bailey

7 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

How do you get into the cinema for £4.50 or £5.99? 

We pay double that in Kent :devilgrin:

Double £4.50, or double £5.99 ?

£4.99 near me (£2.95 on Tuesdays)

17 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

We've all had that happen to us.

Ahem! Excuse me - and vice versa. You chaps don't have a monopoly on WW1 interest y'know! ;) 

13 hours ago, Myrtle said:

The main character's continual mishaps and injuries reminded me of "The Revenant" and I'm still wondering the whereabouts of the person who milked the cow.

Spent some time spotting the visual references to WW1 paintings and newspaper photos/film of the time but also enjoyed moments of technical brilliance although interspersed by the predictable. 

I did wonder whether the milk would be poisoned ... and the water. There were reports of poisoned wells during Op Alberich, I think?

18 minutes ago, H M Hulme said:

I did wonder whether the milk would be poisoned ... and the water. There were reports of poisoned wells during Op Alberich, I think?

Yes Operation Alberich was the time the Germans polluted water, cut down trees and destroyed transport routes as they moved back. When the main character was moving his foot across the floor in the ruined building, I thought that he was about to discover a local,  hiding in the cellar. That would have explained the fresh milk, however hiding in the cellar came later.  

22 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I rather disagree with you. The reviewer (Robbie Collin) describes it as 'Emotionally Hollow'; surely if the viewer can't involve themselves in the movie it all becomes a bit pointless. Compare and contrast Zulu and Dunkirk: both are as full of inaccuracies as each other, but the former, in which the viewer becomes completely immersed in the action, is generally revered by viewers, whereas the latter, technically a very good film (i.e. as a film, not as an historical record), was uninvolving and as gripping as an episode of The One Show.

I must admit to a warm fuzzy feeling, when in Dunkirk, the little  ships appeared on the horizon as Nimrod reached a crescendo. 

Alan.

1 hour ago, H M Hulme said:

Ahem! Excuse me - and vice versa. You chaps don't have a monopoly on WW1 interest y'know! ;) 

I’m not entirely sure he was talking about it happening at the pictures . . .

20 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

Much of the action is done in one take and this adds an almost documentary feel to the film. 

I saw an interview with the cinematographer, it is actually very carefully spliced together to look like one shot.  The longest take is about nine minutes.

7 minutes ago, Heid the Ba said:

I saw an interview with the cinematographer, it is actually very carefully spliced together to look like one shot.  The longest take is about nine minutes.

My son who works in the media, was explaining how they linked the shots together in the trench scenes by moving the camera around from one side of the main characters, then round  the back and to the other side, as they are moving, which then enables the editor to link the shots. It explains why there are at times, those shots back along the trench, where you see the men eating or tending the wounded. That's where the planning of the camera work is at its best; when the filming takes into consideration how the material can be edited, and doesn't rely on the editor having to make it work. 

Just back from seeing the film at the Depot in Lewes (£9). Absolutely blown away. I thought it one of the finest pieces of film-making I’ve seen in a long time. Sure there are a few niggles - dodging too many bullets, waterfalls at the front - but this seemed to me the most realistic depiction of trench warfare I’ve ever seen on screen.

3 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Double £4.50, or double £5.99 ?

We pay between £8.50 and £11.00 for most new films.