The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fifty amazing stories of the Great War

seaJane

:) elastic hours

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 18:45, seaJane said:

:) elastic hours

Yes, that would be nice …. but work would expand to fill them before I got to the books!

Certainly some good stuff here. Pollard VC  was interesting, he had Junger approach to war.

Edited by David Filsell

20 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Last of the big spenders?

0F3D1397-0228-46CF-983B-E24E18B663DA.png

2 hours ago, Ghazala said:

Just picked up a copy for £2.99 on eBay

Nice copy too :)

in the same line, I've got a 2014 copy of the 1930 book "Great short stories of the War" ... got it for a few quid on a rainy day in Dublin, waiting for the right moment to step on the bus to the airport... (I can hear you all go "duh!!"... rain+time= go to bookshop) 

There's a few nice stories in there too !!! 

M.

2 hours ago, Marilyne said:

I can hear you all go "duh!!"... rain+time= go to bookshop

M.

C342582F-261E-407F-96F9-41CFC250F56F.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure how but I have ended up with two copies of this book.  Probably finger trouble on my part.  If anyone would like the second book pm me your address and I will post it to you.  No fee, you can donate the postage to the GWF.

Book now on it’s way to Germany to a GW pal.

I got a copy at a car boot. The story of the front line  rare shrew and how it was sent to London Zoo (from Ieper) and the Oxford Don who carried out commando raids are my favourites.

On 29/03/2019 at 04:16, yperman said:

I got a copy at a car boot. The story of the front line  rare shrew and how it was sent to London Zoo (from Ieper) and the Oxford Don who carried out commando raids are my favourites.

I would be interested  to know who were the authors of  these accounts? They may be online somewhere.

Regarding the contribution from W J Blackledge,  I would classify his book as fiction.  See the topic

Fiction/faction/fact? The Legion of Marching Madmen/ W J Blackledge: Online

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/270727-fictionfactionfact-the-legion-of-marching-madmen-w-j-blackledge-online/

Cheers

Maureen

9 hours ago, Maureene said:

I would be interested  to know who were the authors of  these accounts? They may be online somewhere.

Regarding the contribution from W J Blackledge,  I would classify his book as fiction.  See the topic

Fiction/faction/fact? The Legion of Marching Madmen/ W J Blackledge: Online

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/270727-fictionfactionfact-the-legion-of-marching-madmen-w-j-blackledge-online/

Cheers

Maureen

The shrew story comes from Dr Philip Gosse who wrote books on Dover and pirates and  who served in the Medical Corps in the Ieper area. He was fascinated it seems by zoology especially small mammals and was appointed in addition to his medical duties the 2nd Army's "rat officer" to stop the spread of rat bourne diseases.. He wrote a book "memoirs of a camp follower" which I have just ordered. 

Maureene, I have scanned the acknowledgement pages from the Fifty Amazing Stories book. You can see many are from the great classics we know. A treasure trove of books!

scan0001.jpg

scan0003.jpg

That's kind of you otherranker! I did the same soon after I started this thread, which has got longer than I expected. There is some discussion of the various pieces too.

Thank you yperman for your information, and thank you other ranker for the helpful scans of the Acknowledgement pages. 

Cheers

Maureen

• 2 years later...

I'm a booklover and hobby bookbinder (properly trained) and I've recently picked up a copy of "Fifty Amazing Tales" from a local charity shop as it looked as though it would be an interesting read. It's in a sorry state however and I'd like to repair it. As you can see from the pictures, I've made a facsimile copy of a missing endpaper, but was disappointed to discover that page 191/192 is also missing. It looks as though it's been torn out. Everything else appears to be there. There are no copies available online as far as I can tell. It was during my search that I came across your Forum and this thread. I'm wondering if anyone here who has a copy would be kind enough either to scan the 2 missing pages or photograph them for me so that I can complete the book. It would be very much appreciated. Thank you and apologies if I'm being cheeky.

p190-&-193.jpg

Endpapers-small.jpg

Hi Annied22

Welcome to the Forum, nice little find there. 
Good news, I still have my fathers copy so I have quickly taken a photo of the pages and attached them below. If you want a scanned copy let me know or if they do not reproduce again let me know.

John

5A8CBCF6-6CDF-423A-AD68-833B5EEE764F.jpeg

6E26F628-1F65-48BA-86BC-9CB821371C31.jpeg

Thank you very much indeed for responding so quickly. I've downloaded the pics, had a little play around with one of them and I think they'll be fine. I've had to make facsimile pages a number of times in the past and while I'm not an expert at manipulating images to blend in with the originals, I can usually produce something pretty acceptable. The main thing is that the book is complete again.

I'm looking forward to reading the book, although I'll wait until it's back in one piece. At the moment the rear board is completely detached as are the final couple of pages. The front board is hanging on by a few threads and part of the spine is missing. If anyone's interested I can post some pics when I've finished repairing it.

Isn't the internet wonderful?!

Nice piece of repair!