Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fifty amazing stories of the Great War

seaJane

Published by Odhams in 1936. I bought this on the strength of the endpapers; the dealer was going to pass it to a charity shop as it's not in saleable condition, having been left open face down for long enough to split the spine covering, and besides being rather grubby generally. But I expressed an interest, so he let me have it for the cost of the postage.

IMG_20190205_160237.jpg

IMG_20190205_160011.jpg

767 pages? I'm afraid I must decline that enticing prospect...

Contents.

IMG_20190205_163136.jpg

IMG_20190205_163054.jpg

IMG_20190205_162950.jpg

I think this is C B Purdom's 'Everyman at War' . A version of it is available as a Kindle for £3.99, see Amazon - Jon E Lewis 'On The Front Line: True World War Stories'. The cover isn't as interesting!

Edited by paulgranger
Added a comment

28 minutes ago, seaJane said:

been left open face down for long enough to split the spine covering, and besides being rather grubby generally

Jane, are you referring to the book or one of my esteemed fellow booksellers?  I think we should be told.  :wub:

Ah! (more than I paid). Thanks pg.

I missed a spread:

IMG_20190205_163913.jpg

IMG_20190205_163839.jpg

Jane, are you referring to the book or one of my esteemed fellow booksellers?  I think we should be told.  :wub:

The book :)

I have a paperback copy of a 1997 copy of True WW1 stories published by Jon E Lewis. Looks to be the same content but I would much prefer Jane's book.

Sue

This is a great book for getting a glimpse of all the classics that the stories come from. I have used the bibliography to try and find all these super books over the years.

There are another 20 or so volumes in the same ‘Fifty Amazing Stories’ series, some of them covering aspects of the War.

1 hour ago, paulgranger said:

I think this is C B Purdom's 'Everyman at War' . A version of it is available as a Kindle for £3.99, see Amazon - Jon E Lewis 'On The Front Line: True World War Stories'. The cover isn't as interesting!

Similar to but not the same as the Purdom.

I have a copy of this book..... one of the first that got me into serious collecting of WW1 books. As Other Ranker mentions above, it's a great jumping off point into other worthwhile books.

3 hours ago, seaJane said:

Ah! (more than I paid).

Mine cost me nothing......part of my fathers collection of books I inherited some moons ago, not all 20 as identified by DJC, just 8. 

To quote a well known model ...”Cracking read Gromit” 😁

As DJC says, there are loads of these books. I have the one 'Four Dramatic War Novels', with Under Fire, Bretherton, Patrol and Roux The Bandit. Its a cheap way to read the last two which are quite hard to find and classic tales.

Thought I had the book somewhere but can’t find it. Before I order it again, does it have a bibliography of which books the stories are taken from. I recognise most of them but some are new to me. Thanks in advance.

There's not one at the end, I'm sure, but I haven't checked the beginning yet. Hold the line.

1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

does it have a bibliography of which books the stories are taken from.

It does, cunningly disguised as Acknowledgements, on pages 13 and 14.

Dear seaJane,

I thought 'Rat Officer' was a rather good appointment, and the name 'Duncan Grinnell-Milne', priceless!

Kindest regards,

Kim (aka Kimberley John Lindsay).

41 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Duncan Grinnell-Milne

Not something to say when inebriated or in a hurry, I'd think...

6 hours ago, seaJane said:

It does, cunningly disguised as Acknowledgements, on pages 13 and 14.

Thanks, Jane. I’ll order a copy.

The Rat Officer book Memoirs of a Camp-Follower is available online

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.523918/page/n5

Full title for some editions: Memoirs of a Camp-Follower : a Naturalist Goes to War. At least one later edition published under the title A Naturalist Goes to War. Includes the following extract (archive.org) relating to his duties following his appointed as Rat Officer to the Second Army. The author was a doctor RAMC, in France and Belgium 1915-1917 who initially served with the 69th Field Ambulance, 23rd Division. He subsequently served in India. Review of the book. JRAMC. Scroll to the end.

Also the book

Detective & Secret Service Days by Edwin T Woodhall 1929. Link to a pdf download, STOU Digital Repository Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University, Thailand. Note, this website has been noticed to be unavailable at times, possibly it may only be accessible during "office hours". Extracts from the book: "Book I" pages 31-122, "Book II Secret Service Days", pages 125-162, of 282 pages in total. Archive.org. The 1937 edition was titled Detective and Secret Service Days. The author chronicles his experiences beginning briefly with his early days in 1906 in the London Metropolitan Police Force, and then on to when he subsequently became attached to the CID at Scotland Yard, the Special Political Department, the Secret Service Department and the Special Central Department. Details of the author casebook.org. Elsewhere it is stated that Chapter III "Military Ishmaels", page 143 is about Toplis who is discussed in an article,[25] and that Chapter IV, "A Charming Spy", relates to Mata Hari, see below. He was also the author of Spies of the Great War : adventures with the Allied Secret Service by Edwin T. Woodhall 1932.

How I filmed the war; a record of the extraordinary experiences of the man who filmed the great Somme battles, etc. by Lieut Geoffrey H Malins 1920. Archive.org. For two years he was one of the official War Office Kinematographers, having previously done some free lance war work. How I Filmed the War LibriVox recording Archive.org.

An Airman's Outings by "Contact" [Captain Alan Bott, R F C] 5th Impression 1917. Archive.org. Also published under the titles The Flying Ace (better digital file) Archive.org; Cavalry of the Clouds.

Spies I Knew by Marthe McKenna 1934 HathiTrust Digital Library. Belgian Marthe Cnockaert, 'Laura' of the British Intelligence Service.

Copied from the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Western Front

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Western_Front

Cheers

Maureen

Edited by Maureene

Dear Maureen,

One has to admire your capacity for hard work!

Yes, I have plenty about Alan Bott (1893-1952), who started out as an RFC Observer in France, and was awarded the MC. He became a Pilot, was shot down on the Palestine Front, escaped from Turkish hands and was awarded a Bar to his MC. Bott was latterly in publishing and was a prolific author, was involved with Pan Books, etc., but died young at 56...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Maureen,

Edwin T Woodhall served with the Cameronians between 1904-07, after which he served with the Metropolitan Police. Recalled to the Colours on 15th August 1914, he saw service with the Cameronians No 8559, and then served with the Intelligence Corps from December 1915 to Nov 1917, when he was transferred to the Labour Corps (842 Area Employment Coy) No 447701. On 8th August 1918, he transferred into the Military Foot Police and was allocated Corps No P16349. He returned to the Met on discharge in February 1919, before leaving 5 months later. In his "Detective and Secret Service Days", he claims involvement in the arrest of Percy Topliss.

Cheers,

Richard

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 07:45, The Scorer said:

Thanks for the link .... I've just bought it!

It's just arrived, and it's the same version, down to the end papers (but not, thankfully, the split spine, as detailed by seaJane above. 

Now, where do I find the time to read it …. ?