Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Regiment?

Skipman

I have an idea who this might be and a positive identification of the regiment might help rule him out. It's a very poor photo unfortunately. Which regiment?

Mike

temp Forum soldier.PNG

Hello Mike me, To open the batting, Royal Highlanders (Black Watch), sporran badge and style is very similar, if not the same.... Also even though you cannot see much of the Glengarry... I cannot see any dicing....potentially a TF Btn with the shoulder titles. 

Andy 

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Good morning Andy, thank you very much. That is exactly what I thought and thank you for confirmation. I think it's 6th Black Watch and possibly 1104 James McIntyre. Anything there that might indicate a stretcher-bearer?

Mike

Nothing that stands out Mike, he appears to have patch at the top of his right sleeve, and perhaps something above his Cpl chevrons on his left... But nothing conclusive. 

Andy

The large shoulder title in view suggests a Black Watch TF unit on annual training camp pre-war.

• 5 years later...
On 30/12/2018 at 08:01, Skipman said:

Good morning Andy, thank you very much. That is exactly what I thought and thank you for confirmation. I think it's 6th Black Watch and possibly 1104 James McIntyre. Anything there that might indicate a stretcher-bearer?

Mike

Pretty sure my attached photo is 1104 James McIntyre.....I have a McIntyre family photo album with loads B/W photos pre-war at South Queensferry, etc. Also, brothers in the RSF (Salonika) & Seaforths (1921'ish).

Do you have knowledge of James & the 1/6th B/W ? Entitled 1914-15 Star, so may not have reached Corporal pre-war....

Alan.

Jas McIntyre BW studio.jpg

He’s either Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) or the Highland Light Infantry TF 9th (Glasgow Highlanders Battalion) that wore a very similar badge and kilt.  Given your family folklore it seems likely to be the former.

IMG_2090.jpeg

IMG_2089.jpeg

IMG_2092.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

7 hours ago, aramsay said:

Pretty sure my attached photo is 1104 James McIntyre.....I have a McIntyre family photo album with loads B/W photos pre-war at South Queensferry, etc. Also, brothers in the RSF (Salonika) & Seaforths (1921'ish).

Do you have knowledge of James & the 1/6th B/W ? Entitled 1914-15 Star, so may not have reached Corporal pre-war....

Alan.

Jas McIntyre BW studio.jpg

Good morning Alan. Yes certain that's James McIntyre from Aberfeldy and a cracking photograph. A stretcher-bearer in A Company 1/6th Black Watch. I think there are many who would love to see this album. Would you be able to post them?

"Captain Campbell, Black Watch, in a letter of sympathy to the relatives of Corporal James McIntyre, pays a fine tribute to the memory of the deceased soldier. To Miss McIntyre he writes- " Corporal McIntyre was one of my N.C.O.'s and he worthily held up the good name of Aberfeldy whether stretcher-bearer or fighter. He was a keen soldier, and many times he did splendid work in attending to the wounded. A few months ago he gave up his stretcher to take promotion, and no matter how difficult his duties were he was always there and very willing."

Mike

Hello @aramsay. I'd echo what @Skipman said and would love to see any of the pre-war South Queensferry photos.

It is definitely a photo of James McIntyre you posted. I have a small newspaper picture which identifies him and it's one and the same.

I am currently researching the men who formed the first draft of the 6th Black Watch who went to France in May 1915 and hope I could identify some of the men at South Queensferry.

My grand-uncle John Duffy was one of the first draft - killed at High Wood in July 1916.

Thanks,

Mark