Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7/Fd RE Suvla September 1915

Skipman

13 hours ago, Skipman said:

Thank you very much Michael for doing that. I'm not seeing that in the Ancestry version at all. Can you give me a link to that page?

Mike,

I don't have Ancestry.

This is something that I down-loaded from the NA many years ago and I'm not at all certain if it's still available, but you can check – the ref is WO/95/4293 image ref: 459 – It's the third in a series of four files of the 2nd Mounted Division's War Diaries. October 1915 for the 1/3rd Scottish Horse is on pages 165 to 170 of the pdf

I hope that this helps

best regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Thanks Michael. Will have a look soon. Had no time today but will check this and the casualty list when get a minute. Thank you very much indeed.

Mike

Michael, your list pretty much confirms the date of the FMP list as September-November 1915. Having difficulty getting numbers to correspond to names on MICs etc but have enough to pretty much tie the date down. Thanks for your help.

Still no further forward with "7th Fd RE" It may be an error, 67th 87th????

Mike

2 hours ago, Skipman said:

Michael, your list pretty much confirms the date of the FMP list as September-November 1915. Having difficulty getting numbers to correspond to names on MICs etc but have enough to pretty much tie the date down. Thanks for your help.

Mike

2 hours ago, Skipman said:

Mike

Mike 

67 Field Company was with 11 (Northern) Division, in Gallipoli  so that might be worth exploring. 

TR

• 2 months later...

Even more confused now. I wonder if I have the date of this entry wrong. Looking at the cover of the diary (I don't have diary yet) it looks like 10th Field Troop RE "Became 7 Field Squadron 6/8/1918, then 5 Field Squadron 5/9/18"

Do you think the medical entry "7/Fd RE" refers to 1915, Gallipoli, or to this later date, and that the 7/Fd refers to "Became 7 Field Squadron 6/8/1918, then 5 Field Squadron 5/9/18"

Mike

temp Forum 7th Field.PNG

Mike

5 Field Squadron was raised in France in February 1917 by the redesignation of 2 (Indian) Field Squadron and became part of 5th Cavalry Division.  It was disbanded in France in March 1918.  In July 1918 a new 5th Field Squadron was formed in Egypt by the redesignation  of 7 Field Sqn RE. It became part of the new 5th Cavalry Division which formerly had been 2nd Mounted Division.

TR

Thanks again Terry. Will have a good look at all this again. Is it just me, or is this man's service much more complicated than most. everything might make more sense when I finally get the diary for 10th Field Troop.

Mike