Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Christopher William Lacey, IARO

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear Susan,

Your kind encouragement is most heartening, and many thanks!

Oftentimes one feels as if one is getting nowhere, and therefore the inward feeling of glee is all the better, when one "brings it off"...

Yes, an officer photo of C. W. "Christie" Lacey (obviously taken and possibly still in existence) would be a great prize: quite apart from nicely rounding off the research saga.

Having said that, I must say that he researched beautifully, in no small way thanks to the efforts of the Great War Forum band of like-minded mutual helpers. Super!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 4 months later...
On 09/12/2018 at 16:26, The Inspector said:

Hi All

This is the Gerald Lacey who was a Lt. in the IA born 26th July 1887, admitted to the Institution of Civil Engineers on 1st? March 1919. Docs on line.  MIC on Line. As already stated no relation to Christopher William Lacey.

Regards Barry

Indeed not - I am a great grandson of the Gerald Lacey in question, whose eldest son, Peter Gerald Lacey, my maternal grandfather, was born on 15th January 1919, his younger brother Michael Wilfrid Lacey being born on 2 June 1920. Gerald's elder brother was Stephen Lacey, already featured, who was in loco parentis to my grandfather and great uncle when they were dumped at boarding school by their parents, who returned to India. Another of his brothers was Wilfred Lacey, Royal Field Artillery who was killed in action in Arras on 31 March 1918.

Michael later served in the Royal Artillery, reaching the rank of Major, his son Mark Gerald Lacey also serving in that regiment, reaching the rank of Brigadier. My grandfather Peter served in the Middlesex Regiment, reaching the rank of Lieutenant.   

Attached is a photo of Gerald with my mother, my great grandmother Elsie, my grandmother Connie and me at the time of his 90th birthday in 1977. It was especially poignant to learn of the date of his birthday as my mother died aged only 31 almost exactly two years later on 27th July 1979. Gerald died a year later at the age of 93 or thereabouts - I don't have the date. 

laceys.jpg

While this has been of tangential relevance to your research on Christopher Lacey, who wasn't a brother of 'my' Gerald at all, your efforts are much appreciated. Many thanks!  

Edited by Ken Westmoreland

Dear Ken,

Thanks for that, and the photograph of Gerald Lacey, explaining the non-connection to C. W. Lacey.

I was saddened to read that your attractive mother should have died prematurely.

As yet, no Military photo of Christopher William Lacey has appeared - but at least I have excellent School photos, which is most gratifying...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kimberley John Lindsay.

Hi Ken and all

You posted you din't have your great grandfather's date of death according to my research it was 26th April, 1979 and here is a photo of him in uniform

Death cert, Surrey Volume 17, page 1347. Registered June 1979.

Regards Barry

1915ish Gerald Lacey

Edited by The Inspector

Dear Barry,

Super find. Well done!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I hope I got the eyes right!

imageproxy (5).jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

Thanks Kim for your kind words about my mother, and thanks too to Barry for his efforts, and Jools for the photo editing. However, this looks more like one of the men in the wedding picture from 1925, and hence not my great grandfather, who died in 1980 - his other granddaughter, the actress Ingrid Lacey confirmed that. Interesting, though, that the one above should have died in Surrey as my great grandparents lived in Hindhead, having moved there after Indian independence.   

Hi Ken and all,

On 11/08/2019 at 03:19, Ken Westmoreland said:

Thanks Kim for your kind words about my mother, and thanks too to Barry for his efforts, and Jools for the photo editing. However, this looks more like one of the men in the wedding picture from 1925, and hence not my great grandfather, who died in 1980 - his other granddaughter, the actress Ingrid Lacey confirmed that. Interesting, though, that the one above should have died in Surrey as my great grandparents lived in Hindhead, having moved there after Indian independence.   

Something doesn't add up. 

I know we have partially solved the search for Kim but have you got the right info.?

I am puzzled ! If the photo above is not Gerald Lacey then a lot of people have got relationships terribly wrong. Do you know if this is a photo of Wilfrid Lacey RFA killed 31 st Match 1918? He was born 27th July ,1891 !!

1916ish Wilfred Lacey, Killed in War

If it is correct then there are photos of all the siblings on line C/o  Ancestry public trees including the one of Gerald above.

This is Stephen Lacey, Gerald's elder brother whom you mentioned above. Your great grandmother was Elsie Annie Willford?  Your grandmother Constance Violet Wotherspoon? She was a Nurse born 8.3.1919. Lived Cottage on the Links, Steepways, Hindhead, Surrey.? 21st March, 1955. On board the Queen Mary with your mum. 1952 Naturalized American, California (on line)  Your mum is mentioned on the record.

It appears that your grandfather, Peter Gerald Lacey, was married twice. 1941 (divorced) and 1957,  Is that correct? or are you not certain of some of the family history, it happens frequently and dates are mixed up.

Stephen LaceyThere were 6 sons and 1 daughter  to Thoma Stephen Lacey and his wife Lydia Frances Johnson, your great/great grandparents photos of all of them available. Some more Military photos.

Your mum's birthday 13th August, 1947? 

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Dear Barry,

Thanks for all this - yes, these are all my relatives and the dates all fit.  Apologies for the confusion but I didn't want this to go off-topic as Gerald and Christopher weren't related, much as your efforts are very much appreciated. I got the impression you were looking for the Gerald Lacey who was married to Katherine Fearn, hence the doubts, as I know very little about Gerald's military career, more his engineering background.  

This is a picture of my great great grandfather Thomas 'Old Tom' Lacey with his wife Lydia Frances 'Fanny' Lacey and their assorted offspring, Lydia, whose fiancé was killed in the war and who never married, dying relatively young, Stephen, London gas engineer whose job was sufficiently important to make it a reserved occupation, Frank who was gassed in the war, followed by Gerald, my great grandfather the professor of engineering, Leonard, Wilfred, killed in action in Arras, and finally Douglas (who I believe was excused war service for reasons of ill health).

Image may contain: 10 people, people smiling, outdoor

I'm not sure which son is which, but comparing them to the gentleman in the picture above, I'd say that the one second from the right with the glasses and the moustache is Gerald. 

The address in Hindhead I remember as being where he and Elsie lived, but it is plausible that my grandmother Constance (or Connie) lived there in 1955 as she remained close to them after her divorce from my grandfather Peter Gerald Lacey. However, while I know that she ran off with an American taking my mother with her, her being naturalised as an American is news indeed. I suspect it's too late for me to look into citizenship through descent myself, but with the current occupant of the White House, probably just as well!  

Thanks again,

Ken

Dear Ken,

Fascinating!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi Ken and all,

Trying not to go off topic BUT I think you may need to see this (Fanny, Douglas, Wilfrid and Thomas.)

Douglas was Arthur Douglas  b. 16.8.1894 d.Dec. 1968.

Merchant Taylors' School Register Lacey, Arthur Douglas

1915ish Fanny, Douglas, Wilfred, and Thomas

Douglas was a 2nd Lt. in the 12th County of London Bn. LG. 19.3.15. More info. on Ancestry. He was a LT. in the RAOC in WW2. Was 108754 prior to promotion.

Regards Barry

PS Kim, STILL LOOKING for C. W. Lacey.

Edited by The Inspector

Hi again,

Wilfred, Leonard and Frank just before Wilfred was killed

1918 Left to Right Wilfred Leonard and Frank Lacey shortly before Wilfreds death

Regards Barry.

Edited by The Inspector

• 1 year later...

I've just found this thread doing a quick google search of Charmian Lacey/Shenton. You are correct, she was a great traveller but had no children. She was my English grandmother's cousin and I went to the UK 2 years ago to get her diaries and family papers and some photos of her and her father and his medals. Lots of great treats (old paper passports, the first airmail letter to India etc). I'm happy to dig them out and share them, and indeed have them go safely to a proper collection (I retrieved to save them being lost)

4 minutes ago, Genevieve Lilley said:

I've just found this thread doing a quick google search of Charmian Lacey/Shenton. You are correct, she was a great traveller but had no children. She was my English grandmother's cousin and I went to the UK 2 years ago to get her diaries and family papers and some photos of her and her father and the medals of Major JWF Silverthorne. Lots of great treats (old paper passports, the first airmail letter to India etc). I'm happy to dig them out and share them, and indeed have them go safely to a proper collection (I retrieved to save them being lost)

Just now, Genevieve Lilley said:

IMG_6569.jpg.81ccea45cc42bd4a65975addc9c96407.jpgIMG_6568.jpg.fb70e6fcf985eacf1f64912778f85a20.jpg

Dear Genevieve,

Super!

Many thanks for beaming the impressive Major Silverthorne MBE (Mil)/MiD group of medals.

If you could find a photo/photos of C. W. "Christie" Lacey, I would be thrilled to bits (not to mention extremely grateful!).

Here he is as a young scholar (1908) 975293876_C.W.Lacey1908-09BedfordRugbyTeam.jpg.29fdf53524397249ac31cd7e89065d26.jpgand Rugby player of note...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear Genevieve,

Sorry: Major J. W. F. Silverthorne, was OBE (not MBE)...

I attach Sharmian's Dad's ("Christie" Lacey) medals, which I1040277637_CAPT_CAPT.LIEUT.C.W.LACEYIARO.jpg.47de80b0eb93273cd39b81be3165d59d.jpg have.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All, and Genevieve,

He was Major James W. B. Silverhorne, OBE, originally Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, but exchanged to Yorkshire Regiment, before retiring.. 

Haig's Despatch from France, 15 May 1917:-

Staff: Silverthorne, Maj. J. W. B., ret. pay.

I failed to find his London Gazette appointment as an Officer of the Military Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.

However, under REGULAR FORCES, Commands and Staff, he relinquished his appointment as Deputy Assistant Quarter-Master General on 1 November 1919:-

Major J. W. B. Silverthorne, OBE, ret. pay.

Kindest regards,

Kim.