Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Christopher William Lacey, IARO

Kimberley John Lindsay

• Admin
22 minutes ago, corisande said:

I got lost a bit on "your" Christopher William Lacey, but I think this must be him in 1939 Register living at 5 Upherds Lane , Ely U.D., Cambridgeshire. Right area, right wife, and right job

lacey-1939.JPG.e06db16b3d87b3d97b7c0a40cb748b0e.JPG

Correct address too, ref his MIC.

Dear corisande,

Super!

Really good results: one gets the feeling of almost "getting there"!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

What comes around goes around. He went to Bedford School - the school would be worth trying for a photo

1037635447_Bedfordtimes7Sep1945.JPG.787988f1259f4d94b26802875ab32e06.JPG

Dear corisande,

Well done!

Which newspaper or publication noted this career-change for Turner and, above all, C. W. Lacey?

Dick had just told me that Lacey had been educated at Bedford School and City & Guilds College, London, and I had sent off an eMail to Bedford.

However, the notice that 'he played Rugger for Bedford Town for three years until leaving for India in 1912', could well lead to the urgently-sought Image.

Many thanks for that!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

3 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Which newspaper or publication noted this career-change for Turner and, above all, C. W. Lacey?

Sorry it is in the file name, but that is not shown on the forum software

Bedford Times 7 Sep 1945.

Dear corisande,

No need to be sorry - I even forgot to say 'please'! 

The Bedford Times dateline of (7 Sep) 1945 is of interest, inasmuch as C. W. Lacey had recently relinquished his 1943-44 term as President of the Ely Rotary Club.

I will write to the latter, notwithstanding the fact that they have no Image of C. W. Lacey on their website...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim and all

Charmian N Shenton (Lacey) her husband was David William Shenton, married May 1988 Camden ,London 14,1570. He died  6th Oct, 2007, Ventnor ,Isle of Wight, born 1.12.1926 Hong Kong.......still  looking

Here's one of CW's uncleReginold Haughton Lacey 1868-1931

Reginald Haughton Lacey 1868-1931.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Wonderful photo!  Still looking for one of C W Lacey, but have found out he was a member of the Rotary Club of Bedford.

See  .http://www.bedfordrotary.org/bedford/members list.htm

His address in October 1946 was 39 De Parys Avenue, Bedford and in 1949 he had moved to Richmond Road, Bedford. These addresses came from various articles in the Bedfordshire Times & Independent but unfortunately no photographs.  I'm wondering if Bedford Council might have a photo of him.

21 hours ago, PJS said:

Name: Gerald Lacey
Birth Date: 1888
Marriage Date: 30 Jan 1918
Marriage Place: Roorkee, Bengal, India
Father: Thomas S. Lacey
Spouse: Elsie Annie Willford
FHL Film Number:

Hi All

This is the Gerald Lacey who was a Lt. in the IA born 26th July 1887, admitted to the Institution of Civil Engineers on 1st? March 1919. Docs on line.  MIC on Line. As already stated no relation to Christopher William Lacey.

Regards Barry

Dear Barry,

C. W. Lacey's uncle? Super!

I found a mention of R. H. D. Lacey, Esq., in the January 1919 Indian Army List, being under 'Administrative Departments of the Army' (Officers deputed from the Indian Finance Department).

R. H. D. Lacey's appointment was 'Field Commander Military Accounts, Poona'.

I am unsure of the medal ribbon, but his Arab headgear is of the T. E. Lawrence variety...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

6 hours ago, Susan Tall said:

Wonderful photo!  Still looking for one of C W Lacey, but have found out he was a member of the Rotary Club of Bedford.

See  .http://www.bedfordrotary.org/bedford/members list.htm

His address in October 1946 was 39 De Parys Avenue, Bedford and in 1949 he had moved to Richmond Road, Bedford. These addresses came from various articles in the Bedfordshire Times & Independent but unfortunately no photographs.  I'm wondering if Bedford Council might have a photo of him.

Hi All

1949 to 1955 still living at 20 Richmond Road, Bedford....British Phone Books......looking

1957-1966 the year he died C.W Lacey address 27 King Harold's Way, Bexleyheath, Erith, Kent. ?? Death cert. Dec 1966 Dover, Kent, 5f, 397....reported by?

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Dear Barry,

Thanks for the addresses.

Between Bedford (to 1955) and Bexleyheath, Erith (until his death in 1966), he was living at 5 Upherds Lane, Ely, Cambs.

I have meanwhile written or sent eMails to his Rugby connection, his late daughter's family and several others, as well as having mobilized my BL and TNA researchers (although an Australian, I live in Germany, which limits one's visits to such Institutes). 

Presently, thanks to the GWF Old Boy Network (sounds familiar - I am an Old Cranbrookian, but Bellevue Hill, Sydney, not Kent!), I have Images of 1) the grandfather, 2) an uncle, 3) the daughter. It used to take JMAT (the late Major John Tamplin, MBE, TD) months, if not years, to ascertain what one can nowadays manage in days, if not hours - all depending on the subject-matter, of course.

Christopher William Lacey left an impressive paper-trail - and his portrait is surely still to be found...

Many thanks to those numerous helpers: Capt C. W. Lacey's medals are now a so-called "Keeper Group"!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear Susan,

C. W. Lacey was also (!) President of the Ely Rotary Club in 1943-44.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All and Barry,

I found this single entry for Reginald Haughton Lacey, Esq., in the January 1919 Indian Army List.

Kindest regards,

Kim.IMG_20181210_0001.jpg.cda14b49a6d9c68c97ad697eb60b0b09.jpg

Dear All,

I now have his signature!

Kindest regards,

Kim.1203236614_NaturalisationObv.jpg.2ee2b60ecd4aa3e8e900acc9fbae7576.jpg129804652_Naturalisation1949rev.jpg.9f740f0e7e76506cf775a423ee396c50.jpg

That form is interesting - bad luck that there was no photo on it - I thought that there was a chance that there would be.

Dear corisande,

Indeed: that would have solved all my problems, so to speak.

However, there are several other leads to be followed in Bedford and Ely, for example.

Happily, C. W. Lacey was a man of many parts!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

This is what C. W.Lacey's daughter Sharmian Shenton, nee Lacey,1561707081_ChamianShentonneeLacey1926-2017dau.1980s.png.7ceb492af838d5bff6bb79e4f642cef6.png looked like in the 1980s.

An architect, she died recently (1926-2017).

Naturally I sent a message to the family...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

Confirmation for C. W. Lacey as Commandant, 10th Labour Corps, at last!

Unsure as to why the later drop from 2Lt (T/Capt), to Lieut. (perhaps substantive rank), 101stDSC08000.thumb.jpg.7a8f4975ccbc3f310b8410bf0671eb57.jpgDSC08001.jpg.7e30d3b294e230ae508bdd4a4906ae09.jpg Labour Company...?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

Here is the naming on his BWM, Victory and GSM 'S.PERSIA'...

Kindest regards,

Kim.DSC_0502.JPG.66491da9ee2f95c14606406023ed8ea2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

Christopher William Lacey was a man of many parts, therefore I am confident of eventually finding the thus far elusive Image!

Thanks to the Institute of Civil Engineers, here are his Associate Member, Institute of Civil Engineers (A.M.I.C.E), 1937, and his Member, Associate of Civil Engineers (M.I.C.E.), 1940, credentials.

C W Lacey Assoc M 1937 (1).pdfC W Lacey Member 1940.pdf 

They not only highlight his building activities, but also make brief reference to his wartime service in the aftermath of the Great War...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear Mark,

That sort of brings one back to the proverbial Square One...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Not sure how helpful this is but:

1. There is a short article here by Radhika Singha that provides some very high-level information on the Indian Labour Corps.

2. There is also an existing thread on this forum with a post here that actually references the 10th Indian Labour Corps (and has posts from Ms. Singha).

I doubt that any of the above is going to get you any closer to a photo though.

Separately, it occurred to me that as a District Engineer of the River Great Ouse Catchment Board, your man may pop up in some local newspapers of the time. There is plenty of information online about the Board's activities in the late 1930's as flooding was a major problem at the time. There also appears to be a local Cambridgeshire expert with a web site here that may be worth contacting. He created this document and this document. A long shot, but you never know ...

Peter

Dear Peter,

Thank you, this is very helpful.

I had already contacted Radhika Singha - but Mike Petty seems altogether far nearer to the elusive C. W. Lacey and I will contact him tonight!

That 2011 reference by Dave to the 10th Labour Corps is also heartening.

The present River Great Ouse Catchment Board man (who is about to retire), kindly answered my eMail, but was unable to help with an Image...

Kindest regards,

Kim.