Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA 17 brigade 92 battery

michaela

Hello Ben

I don't think the War Diaries will help with Lieutenant Giffard's journey through France, the 29th Division CRA and 17th Brigade RFA diaries commence on 18th and 19th January 1915 respectively and they are both at Leamington Spa.

The NA references are:

WO 95/4306 29th Division CRA.

WO 95/4308 17th Brigade RFA.

In both diaries he is mentioned twice.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, Many thanks for that.  A colleague writing soon after Sydney's death mentioned 'I knew him at Leamington' so your point very nicely puts a date on that.  (I had assumed SG's time at Leamington would have been when he was training before the war.) 

Regarding the time in France, I've downloaded Wo 95/3936/3 - some 400 pages - so over long winter evenings I'll see if I can find when SG left the Meerut (7th) Division in France to join the 29th Division and start his time at Leamington. 

You mentioned two diaries with references above, I can see them on Ancestry.  They are hundreds of pages long but are filed (and are only downloadable) page by page.  Would you be able to give me the dates or page numbers for the two references in each you mention, then I'll be able to find them?    That would be very kind as it would save me a vast amount of time!  Many thanks for all your help.  Best wishes, Ben

Hi Ben

In the WD 17th Brigade RFA, he is mentioned on the first page 20th January-15th March 1915 in a nominal roll of officers within the remarks column. The second on the day of his death 2nd May. For the WD 29th Division CRA both are on the day of his death, the second in the remarks column 'Lieutenant S GIFFARD severely wounded (since dead)'

Regards

Alan