Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty Clearing station Bullecourt

jmol17

Hi all

My grandfather was injured on 4th May 1917 at Bullecourt  (2nd Royal Warwickshires) does anyone know the nearest CCS to that area?

Thanks 

Jmol

I think it was 3 Australian CCS at Grevilles. I found a Lt Reginald Roy Morgan who was wounded at Bullecourt on the 5th May 1917 and that's where he was taken.

2nd Royal Warwicks were 7th Division, V Corps, 5th Army. Medical arrangements by the above dictate which CCS a man was sent to not the proximity of one. The diaries state for 7th Division May 1917;

Lying and severe sitting cases to CCS Colincamps (No. 44).

Light sitting and walking wounded to Varennes (4, 11, & 47).

Abdomen & chest injuries direct to No. 44 CCS. Diaries for those CCSs 4th May are a bit sparse;

44. Page missing.

4. Admitted 7.

11. Admitted 0.

47. No figures given.

For some reason 49 CCS became involved in 7th Division wounded on 5th May.

49 CCS was at Achiet le Grand and  had evacuated 453 wounded to Rouen 5/5/1917. Without figures for 44 CCS it's a difficult call between 44 & 49.

TEW

Thank you for the replies - here is a link to a topic I posted back in 2013 which shows his medical record and the CCS ref which I thought read 94??I know there wasn't a 94 so perhaps 49 or just 4 if the 9 is a G

I'll try to look at his records tomorrow. Not seeing a numbered CCS in the image in other topic. As he was in Etaples 7th unlikely he was in the batch sent to Rouen from 49 CCS.

TEW

jmol17,

I may take back some of what I said yesterday. I had a look through his various service papers, Findmypast have 2 sets of papers under his later number 137095. These maybe duplicates of what you've already seen on Ancestry.

The Medical Arrangements given for V Corps/7th Division dated 31/3/1917 gives the evacuation process which woudl have included your Grandfather.

Vcorps.jpg.b3d6af4423cbb373c523b30011616163.jpg

Noting the severity of his wounds I would put him in group; (a) Lying and severe sitting cases will be sent to COLINCAMPS. (No. 44 CCS). However, I rechecked the diary for 44 CCS and although pages for the first week are missing there is a table for the month of May 1917 which shows a total of 8 Wounded admitted.

I doubt very much he would be considered a suitable case to be sent to VARENNES.

However, sometimes the detailed medical arrangements for an attack have to be adjusted for various reasons.

The diary for the DMS 5th Army has an entry for 5/5/1917 that says 49 CCS, 7th Division wounded cases coming in as a result of last nights attack on Bullecourt.

So, despite 49 CCS not being mentioned in the original arrangement it clearly became involved at some point.

I rechecked the diary for 49 CCS and it seems much more likely that he was taken to 49 CCS at Achiet le Grand.

You'll see on the sheet you provided it says; HA 9832 7 C GH Etaples 7/5/1917 (7 Canadian General Hospital).

49 CCS diary does in fact show the following;

6th May Evacuated by Ambulance Train 16 to Etaples 4.35pm wounded 63. Evacuated by Ambulance Train 5 to Etaples 2am wounded 45.

These ambulance trains most likely did arrive in Etaples on the 7th so I'd suggest 49 CCS is the most likely CCS for him to have taken to originally.

As to your questions in your other post in 2013 regarding the numbers, you have;

HA 5106, HA 5124, C 1194, HA 9382 & HB 6116.

These are lists of men the army used to keep track of men. Not sure who compiled them but they were sent back to the UK and copied to the various Infantry Record Offices (One being Warwick). Because they list men admitted to hospital the HA lists are often called Hospital Admission lists but I'm not convinced of this. It doesn't explain HB, HC, HO, HW or H lists.

HB lists seem to be for men admitted to UK hospitals, this applies in your case.

HA lists seem to be for men admitted to hospitals in France, this also applies in your case.

The C 1194 is more difficult, given the date it does seem to relate to his admission into the medical chain, most probably it is a CCS. Perhaps C numbered lists were only circulated in the theatre of war and not sent back to the UK which is why they're not showing up in mens' records.

If you want to see examples of these lists have a look here, please note these are examples you won't see your Grandfather in these lists.

TEW

Great -  thanks for such a detailed answer I would agree with you about CCS 49 at Achiet le Grand - I only found the medical details when I searched the 2nd part of his records after another soldiers. I now know how he exited the war and returned to the UK   thanks again TEW

Jmol