Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Does have any background knowledge of these WW1 medals?

BP1

17 hours ago, BP1 said:

Hi, what’s a K1? (Sorry I’m very new to this)

Kitchener's First army, regarded as the cream of British society answering the patriotic call. Actually many were half starving.

• 3 years later...

The MSM medal looks like the Immediate Indian Meritorious Service Medal, awarded without annuity. The list was finalised in 1923 during the Army Reforms for the period 1914-21.

I appreciate MaureenE states that Sub Assistant Surgeons were Warrant Officers, but as I explained elsewhere, while their station ranked equivalent to the Assistant Surgeons who were Warrant Officers, as Indians of the Subordinate service they could not rank equal to Europeans, so held Viceroy Commisions.

To be absolutely clear, the rank of Indian Warrant Officer was only introduced during the second phase of the Indianisation period, at a similar period as King's Commisions were extended to Indians in the Regular Army. So Indians in the ISMD could not rank equal to Europeans in the IMS.

Following the 1880s Indian Doctors with European Medical Qualifications were admitted to the IMS as Surgeons and Assistant Surgeons, Dr Boyce being the first, but they are not to be confused with Indians who served in the ISMD.