• Admin
3 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

There appears to be a small discrepancy here; although worth eliminating

The medal rolls show this soldier to be Pte GS,8400 George Stephen Huggett

Ray

Thanks Ray

Regards

David

I will check later but I think I have  aBWM and V with battalion on rim. The use of 2nd RWK instead of 2 RWK on the rim of your medals looks odd.

51 minutes ago, johnboy said:

I will check later but I think I have  aBWM and V with battalion on rim. The use of 2nd RWK instead of 2 RWK on the rim of your medals looks odd.

Hi,

Could you also have a look and see if “Regt” is engraved after R. W. K. in your example as it is on the image Paul has posted but not in the R. W. K. image in the link I posted.

Steve

2 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Wasn‘t the way of indicating a 2nd battalion 2/??? Rather than 2nd?

Two questions:

1) When was number GS8400 issued?

2) Is George Stephen Huggett on 1911 ( or any other) census?

1 hour ago, tullybrone said:

Hi,

Could you also have a look and see if “Regt” is engraved after R. W. K. in your example as it is on the image Paul has posted but not in the R. W. K. image in the link I posted.

Steve

The medal I have in mind is inscribed KRRC

1 hour ago, charlie2 said:

Wasn‘t the way of indicating a 2nd battalion 2/??? Rather than 2nd?

That was my point. It looks odd

I have to agree with others. The medals that you have are privately impressed and unofficial. The correct impression after the name should read "R.WAR.R." and not "2nd R.WK. REGT". The lettering is also the wrong font and has probably been done by a jeweller. This throws doubt on whether he actually served in the armed forces in WW1. No offence intended but it is what it is. Sorry.

3 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I have to agree with others. The medals that you have are privately impressed and unofficial. The correct impression after the name should read "R.WAR.R." and not "2nd R.WK. REGT". The lettering is also the wrong font and has probably been done by a jeweller. This throws doubt on whether he actually served in the armed forces in WW1. No offence intended but it is what it is. Sorry.

Hi,

Can you clarify your “R. WAR. R”  as I thought WAR was short for Warwick (shire) Regiment? 

Steve

There is a George Stephen Huggett born March Qtr 1896 in the Dartford registration district, and a George Huggett in the 1911 census living at Shoreham, Frm Shoreham Sevenoaks, Ken, whose birth (age 15) is listed as Farningham, Kent (which is in the registration district of Dartford). Seems to eliminate him.

EDIT: 1901 census is transcribed as George F, but don't have access to the actual record to check transcription. As well, there is no George F listed in the Births records for that area.

Edited by Keith Brannen

7 hours ago, johnboy said:

Have checked and only shows name number and KRRC

Edited by johnboy

18 hours ago, tullybrone said:

Hi,

Can you clarify your “R. WAR. R”  as I thought WAR was short for Warwick (shire) Regiment? 

Steve

I have 109 victory and BWMs and all are impressed as R.WAR.R. for Royal Warwickshire Regiment. No variation. I have 24 1914 or 1914/5 stars and they are all named R.WAR:R. The use of a colon is the norm on stars. The battalion, as shown on your medal, just was not done.

1 minute ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I have 109 victory and BWMs and all are impressed as R.WAR.R. for Royal Warwickshire Regiment. No variation. I have 24 1914 or 1914/5 stars and they are all named R.WAR:R. The use of a colon is the norm on stars. The battalion, as shown on your medal, just was not done.

Sorry if I’m being thick but the OP query was in relation to a relative in Royal West Kent’s with the abbreviation R. W. K. the normal medal rim inscription....how does R. WAR. R. come into it?

Steve

18 minutes ago, tullybrone said:

Sorry if I’m being thick but the OP query was in relation to a relative in Royal West Kent’s with the abbreviation R. W. K. the normal medal rim inscription....how does R. WAR. R. come into it?

Steve

Because I am a clot and read the inscription off the medal as 2nd R.WK.REGT. instead of 2nd R.W.K.REGT. However my comment still applies. The naming on the medal should be R.W. KENT R. unless a 1914 star which may have the battalion number but would be shown as 2/R.W. KENT R.

Hi all, please find attached some images I found via Ebay. 

My father's medals are inscribed

14151 PTE S FURNER 2ND RWK REGT

These are

201736 PTE S.H. ROOME R.W.KENT R.

and this inscription is consistent with others that are for sale on Ebay (sad to find such important items here but that's one for another day!) and comments on this forum.

I completely accept that the inscriptions on my father's WW1 medals do not appear to be as per other examples. I remain confident he did serve in WW1 however. As he was only 14/15 at the time I suspect there was some lying about name/age etc involved which I may never get to the bottom of. I can verify his service with the Royal West Kent regiment 1919-1928 and both the Home Guard and the Royal Army Service Corps in WW2.  

Quite what happened in 1917/1918 continues to elude me ..

Thanks for all the help on the forum 

s-l500-3.jpg

s-l500-2.jpg

s-l500.jpg