Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Reading this B103

PJS

If anyone can decipher what it says in the second part of the Remarks column (entry for Llandyrnog Aux Hospital) I would very much appreciate it. I can see that the second sentence says "Suffering from Shell Shock" but I have absolutely no idea what the first sentence says. He was originally in for a Gunshot Wound to the Right Thigh, sustained in Havrincourt Wood in July 1917. He was evacuated from France and spent a month at 1st Western General Hospital in Liverpool before being transferred to Llandyrnog Aux Hospital.

Huh..PNG.c4e01073b5b1bcb461243c78573894be.PNG

Peter

Edited by PJS
Can't spell

25 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

Galvanosis? To do with oral hygiene? Struging with the rest...

Thank You.  Galvanosis certainly looks like a contender. I see now that there is a full stop after it so it appears that there are 3 separate items. Surely the next 3 words have to relate to his GSW to the Right Thigh.

Peter

• Admin

Not sure about the first word could be gunshot but for the rest "acute injuries resulting (in)" suffering etc. 

Edited by DavidOwen
B***** predictive text!

Might it be 'Galvanism'. ?

Are we back to 'Medical Electrical Treatment' ?

(See other thread).

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

15 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Might it be 'Galvanism'. ?

I did a search for Wales, Denbigh and Llandyrnog on the link provided on other thread and nothing came up (got a hit for Denbigh Rd, London and couple of hits for Wales but effectively nothing). Most of the nurses records I saw had some kind of massage therapy qualification. I think it's more likely to be Galvanosis. 

Peter 

It's not Galvanosis.

In over 30 years in medicine I've never come across the term.

OK, I'm not a dentist, but I was pretty au fait with diseases of the oral cavity.

What strikes me as odd, it that the word cannot be found in Wikipedia.

All my searches on Google return obscure papers from Eastern Europe, Russia, Ukraine and elsewhere. They go into great detail about the immunological pathways of this 'disease', and describe some technical instruments for diagnosing it.

The papers are also modern era, all 21st Century. There's no reference to the condition historically, when it was first described, and by whom etc.

Of course if anyone can put me right on this matter, I would be most grateful. 

(PS. I think the last word on the first line is 'improved').

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

5 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

It's not Galvanosis.

In over 30 years in medicine I've never come across the term.

OK, I'm not a dentist, but I was pretty au fait with diseases of the oral cavity.

What strikes me as odd, it that the word cannot be found in Wikipedia.

All my searches on Google return obscure papers from Eastern Europe, Russia, Ukraine and elsewhere. They go into great detail about the immunological pathways of this 'disease', and describe some technical instruments for diagnosing it.

The papers are also modern era, all 21st Century. There's no reference to the condition historically, when it was first described, and by whom etc.

Of course if anyone can put me right on this matter, I would be most grateful. 

(PS. I think the last word on the first line is 'improved').

I have no medical background but I do tend to agree with your analysis. It's obscure, to say the least. And I think it would be odd to put something like that as the first entry. Of course, that leaves us back at square one.

Peter

4 hours ago, SiegeGunner said:

I think the third and fourth words are 'improvement unlikely'.

I wonder if it might say "Great improvement unlikely"? 

Peter

Agree "Great improvement", but not sure  of "unlikely".

The word is complicated in that as I see it, both the first and last letters have either been re-written or crossed out altogether.

Is the first character an 'N'  or an 'M' ?

Noticable? Muscularly?

Don't know...clutching at straws.

Don't they teach doctors penmanship* ?

* Rhetorical question...No they don't!

4 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Don't they teach doctors penmanship* ?

* Rhetorical question...No they don't!

I've always assumed that a Doctor's expertise is inversely proportional to their penmanship. Our man must have been one of the best.

Peter

2 hours ago, PJS said:

I wonder if it might say "Great improvement unlikely"? 

Yes, I think it might well say that.  So 'Galvanism.  Great improvement unlikely.  Suffering from shell shock.'

Is there any more writing in the same hand in the next (not shown) column on the form, Peter?  More words, even if not relevant, might give us some more of the writer's letter shapes and combinations.

1 hour ago, SiegeGunner said:

Yes, I think it might well say that.  So 'Galvanism.  Great improvement unlikely.  Suffering from shell shock.'

Is there any more writing in the same hand in the next (not shown) column on the form, Peter?  More words, even if not relevant, might give us some more of the writer's letter shapes and combinations.

Unfortunately, that is the only writing on the form (except for his signature) and I don't have any other documents that relate to his time at Llandyrnog.

I do think we still have some question marks about "Galvenism" and "unlikely" though. The patient was my grandfather and a couple of months later he was back with his regiment in Manchester and he ended up going back to the front a few months after that, in early 1918. So, if it actually said 'Great improvement muscularly' (as suggested) that would actually make more sense than "unlikely".  It really is appalling writing ...

Peter

Edited by PJS

1 hour ago, SiegeGunner said:

Sorry, I was not completely correct when I said that there was no more writing. There is also his signature which you can see below on the left.

WTF.PNG.5149c5a0d9c1336966f48f3193d9de78.PNG

Peter

Googling Llandernog returned a reference to a Red Cross hospital there, and another to a hospital at White House, Llandyrnog, perhaps the same one.

Can you give a link to the document or the mans name service number regiment?

5 minutes ago, daggers said:

Googling Llandernog returned a reference to a Red Cross hospital there, and another to a hospital at White House, Llandyrnog, perhaps the same one.

Yes, I assume that "R X Aux Hospital" means Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital.

Peter

4 minutes ago, johnboy said:

Can you give a link to the document or the mans name service number regiment?

You can see the full set of discharge papers here. I do not have an Ancestry or FMP link.

Peter

6 hours ago, SiegeGunner said:

How about 'Gait improved (in) particular'.

That's very good for the first two but the third word looks more like 'probably' to me - though the last two letters are muddled together. But that would mean the full stop was accidental or misplaced  (should have been after the previous word) which is also problematic.

Liz

Yes, 'partially' looks good to me, and 'Galvanism.  Gait improved partially.  Suffering from shell shock' seems consistent in itself and with what Peter has told us about his grandfather's progressive recovery over the months that followed.