Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Reading this B103

PJS

Yes, I think so.  Apologies for my diversion with 'Great improvement unlikely'.  'Gait' came to mind when I remembered film of shell shock victims walking like marionettes, and then I realised that the writer did not always dot his i's.  

Thank you all very much. An excellent result!  "Galvanism.  Gait improved partially.  Suffering from shell shock."  And a very interesting reference to Galvanism which I had never heard of before. Below is a photo of him at the Red Cross Hospital in Llandyrnog, (in bed closest to the camera).

Llandyrnog-Red-Cross-Hospital.png.b0f428144d1c47d8c0437b17ee0d838b.png

Peter

I wonder if this link is of interest to you Peter? A community Facebook page regarding Llandyrnog, and there is mention on it of the Red Cross Auxiliary hospital.

More importantly, it mentions "..a Wirral lady, Mavis Williams..."  who has researched the war dead from the area.

I think Mavis might be 'MotherMave' who posts regularly on here with regard to Flintshire casualties. You could perhaps PM her to bring this topic to her attention?

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Looks to me like it could be an 'M' at the start of the third word.

Gait Improved markedly?

2 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I wonder if this link is of interest to you Peter? A community Facebook page regarding Llandyrnog, and there is mention on it of the Red Cross Auxiliary hospital.

More importantly, it mentions "..a Wirral lady, Mavis Williams..."  who has researched the war dead from the area.

I think Mavis might be 'MotherMave' who posts regularly on here with regard to Flintshire casualties. You could perhaps PM her to bring this topic to her attention?

Yes, I think you are right that Mavis Williams is 'MotherMave'. I will contact her. I had come across the Facebook page a few months ago when I was looking for a picture of the Llandyrnog Hospital and had forgotten about it.

Thank You

Peter

10 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

There is one Red Cross worker that pops up when the site is searched for Llandyrnog and "Electric", she may be of interest to you Peter https://vad.redcross.org.uk/Card?hosp=llandyrnog&duties=electric&id=174722&first=true&last=true

Argh! When I did the same search yesterday I must have mis-typed Llandyrnog (again).

Thank You

Peter

4 hours ago, Andy Wade said:

Gait improved markedly?

Yes, that fits the writing, the context and the known circumstances even better.  I wonder what the writer would think if he knew how many people he had occupied for how long, just to decipher his scrawl!

2 hours ago, SiegeGunner said:

Yes, that fits the writing, the context and the known circumstances even better.  I wonder what the writer would think if he knew how many people he had occupied for how long, just to decipher his scrawl!

Perhaps he'd be a bit more considerate. It looks more like poobaby than markedly to me, but that is weak on context and known circumstances, admittedly.

Liz

14 minutes ago, Liz in Eastbourne said:

Perhaps he'd be a bit more considerate. It looks more like poobaby than markedly to me, but that is weak on context and known circumstances, admittedly.

Liz

I thought it looked like it might be probably, but I’ll never see anything other than poobaby now! 

If it's 'probably' then I'd read the whole thing as three separate points:

Galvanism.

Gait improved.

Probably suffering from shell shock.

The alternative is:

Galvanism.

Gait improved markedly.

Suffering from shell shock.

I don't think it makes a huge amount of difference in the end. The apparent full stop after 'markedly' or 'probably' is making me think that the second point ends with that word. There is a full stop after 'Galvanism.,' so the writer is using them.

Galvanism.jpg

Edited by Andy Wade
Edited to add cropped image.

Agreed, Andy - that was what I said about the full stop (though with less clarity) when I mentioned 'probably' in the first place.  As you say, it doesn't make much difference to the overall report.  Apologies for my recent  flippancy!

Liz

I think it is a full stop after 'Galvanism' and after 'markedly'/'probably' , although if you look at the page above the entry, there is some sort of smudge, that must be a blot from the opposite page.

The smudge consists of some vertical dots, and these dots could conceivably be continuing downwards, past 'Galvanism' and 'markedly'/ 'probably'.

On 05/09/2018 at 05:18, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Per you recommendation, I contacted "MotherMave" and she in turn was kind enough to pass the information I provided over to the Llandyrnog and Llangwyfan Local History Society. I heard back from them last night and they are hoping to publish a book in November and they are planning to include the photo I posted above and perhaps this photo below which I also provided.

1847467132_Staff--Patients-Llandyrnog-RX-Hospital.png.9bce945945f08d116d83b40da5ea7acd.png

Thanks again to all who contributed to the deciphering and especially to "Dai Bach y Sowldiwr" for the excellent suggestion to pass on the information.

Peter

Also, from the information the Llandyrnog and Llangwyfan Local History Society sent me I noticed that the Medical Officer at Llandyrnog was a Dr. T. O. Jones. Looks to me like that may be his signature next to the illegible scrawl on my grandfather's B.103.

Peter

Looks like gout but likely gait and 'Particularly'

Ive looked closely and think it says ....Galvanism. Pat improved partially. Pat being short for patient. It could also be But instead of Pat. The first word on the second line is definitely "partially" in my opinion.

Edited by Lawryleslie