Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Farmer at Sheffield Memorial Park

Flt32

Finished off my day today with a trip to The Sheffield Memorial Park. And we encountered the farmer. Utterly alarming. I had no idea he was a regular feature until I read past forums just a moment ago. He sped up the track behind us and was driving very close to us so we pulled into the small cemetery about halfway down the road there, to let him past. But no, he pulled up alongside us, and started asking us if we knew Judi dench and bob hoskins because of the film that had been filmed in his house. He asked for our phones. My husband got out of the car and was being very friendly with him. Then eventually he started to reverse out and returned in the direction of his farm, we pulled out and continued to move towards the memorial park - but he subsequently did a sharp U turn on the dirt track and started speeding like mad towards us. Very odd and we were very alarmed by it. Especially as we had our 6 year old daughter in the car. We decided to ditch looking at the park (utterly gutted about this) quickly drove past it, and followed the dirt track as far as it went until it led us to the road. Then my husband put his foot on the gas and got the hell away. He followed us all the way until we pulled into a junction and lost him. We found it very bizarre and frankly, intimidating. But on a personal note, I'm just annoyed I couldn't spend some time at the Park.  I appreciate he might have some issues, but good God, his behaviour was very intimidating. We were very friendly towards him, and my husband chatted to him for a good 5 mins about the film, but I do wonder what might happen if we hadn't been so friendly? I was going to walk up the track on my own, relieved I didn't! I don't want to victimise the poor man, but is there something about CWGC trying to resolve it? 

As you say you have read past posts about him, and CWGC web site , you should have noticed I needs reporting to the gendarmes.

they should be the point of contact, unfortunately finding a 'local bobby' that can speak English ......

they And the CWGC know about him and he has been in the papers, if Nigel farage can get no further what hope do we?

maybe.... Any one know Judy Dench or Bob Hoskins phone number?

until he hits someone or damages a vehicle and a conviction happens it will carry on.

be prepared to have thread locked.....

as a regular visitor to the cemeteries, my wife won't let us go there purely because of him and his actions.

Edited by chaz

I will report it to CWGC and see what else I can do. It was aggressive to say the least. I think what really irked, is that my husband spent a good 5 mins in this Judi Dench conversation, and we were polite and friendly. But as he drove away he was really glaring at us - before he did his U turn and starting chasing us. I did read about Farage but didn't make the connection. 

Very sad, seeing we just ultimately want to pay our respects. 

I will report it. I don't think we will go back there until a resolution is reached either, because I don't fancy running into him again 

Report it to the Police.  And next time walk up the track.

Lol. If Nigel Farrage can’t sort! Really expect any European to take notice of him. As a private track should we be taking vehicles up there. I know same old debate.....

Was the film Mrs Henderson Presents ?  I wonder how the production team got on with this character

Out of interest, are these conversation about dame Judy and Bob carried out in English, or in French? Never having seen the chap on the visits I've made, I'm intrigued to know.

I always speak to him in French.  It seems appropriate when in France.

Isn’t it sad that people need to be told the bleeding obvious (that’s not a pop at you Terry!)? How is this not a Police matter?

56 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

See paragraph two here about what to do:

http://tinyurl.com/yayvmyku

TR

Really helpful - no excuse for not reporting it.

Shame the CWGC cannot make another entrance on the far side of the woods , there is already a path there.

Thought he had been to court over his behaviour?

Tony

The CWGC do not own the surrounding land nor, as far as I'm aware, do they own the principal access rights which everybody uses.  I don't see anybody reporting anything, just moaning away on here. Those who complain, but are not prepared to go with the courage of their convictions will not solve anything. 

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

1 hour ago, Terry_Reeves said:

The CWGC do not own the surrounding land nor, as far as I'm aware, do they own the principal access rights which everybody uses.  I don't see anybody reporting anything, just moaning away on here. Those who complain, but are not prepared to go with the courage of their convictions, will not solve nothing. 

TR

hear hear

(I have a similar thing going on where I live, a lot of night noise going on something from a youth club, but I'm the only who has the guts to complain either to the police or to the people in charge of the youthclub)

And it's not as if it hasn't been said before (not just by me or Terry).

Hi,

He drives around at this time of the year ...

He came twice this week to Serre Road Cemetery n°1, talking to people of my group about the film and asking them to watch it on their phone. He came and parked his car next to mine on Tuesday afternoon, staying in his car he asked me if I was "anglais ?" As I couldn't hear him well I got closer to his car, I started to speak to him in French and he said something that I couldn't understand (despite the fact that I am French !)  and he left us as quickly as he had arrived. I had met him before a couple of times, so there was nothing really surprising for me. He wasn't aggressive , but his unexpected behaviour and reaction can be intimidating for someone who doesn't know.

Sly

2 hours ago, Sly said:

Hi,

He drives around at this time of the year ...

He came twice this week to Serre Road Cemetery n°1, talking to people of my group about the film and asking them to watch it on their phone. He came and parked his car next to mine on Tuesday afternoon, staying in his car he asked me if I was "anglais ?" As I couldn't hear him well I got closer to his car, I started to speak to him in French and he said something that I couldn't understand (despite the fact that I am French !)  and he left us as quickly as he had arrived. I had met him before a couple of times, so there was nothing really surprising for me. He wasn't aggressive , but his unexpected behaviour and reaction can be intimidating for someone who doesn't know.

Sly

and you are a big guy Sly!!

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning to you All

Just got back from a short 5 day visit to the area and went up to visit the cemeteries including Railway Hollow. We were pondering over a map in one of the cemeteries when he appeared and asked if we were English, we said yes we were and he got an empty 18 pounder  shrapnel case out of his car and gave it to us then left. Lovely case still had the drive band but partly blasted, it will make a great candle holder for our local church once its been cleaned and polished.Who knows the chap might be mellowing.

Regards

Andy

• 11 months later...
On 01/08/2018 at 23:21, Flt32 said:

Finished off my day today with a trip to The Sheffield Memorial Park. And we encountered the farmer. Utterly alarming. I had no idea he was a regular feature until I read past forums just a moment ago. He sped up the track behind us and was driving very close to us so we pulled into the small cemetery about halfway down the road there, to let him past. But no, he pulled up alongside us, and started asking us if we knew Judi dench and bob hoskins because of the film that had been filmed in his house. He asked for our phones. My husband got out of the car and was being very friendly with him. Then eventually he started to reverse out and returned in the direction of his farm, we pulled out and continued to move towards the memorial park - but he subsequently did a sharp U turn on the dirt track and started speeding like mad towards us. Very odd and we were very alarmed by it. Especially as we had our 6 year old daughter in the car. We decided to ditch looking at the park (utterly gutted about this) quickly drove past it, and followed the dirt track as far as it went until it led us to the road. Then my husband put his foot on the gas and got the hell away. He followed us all the way until we pulled into a junction and lost him. We found it very bizarre and frankly, intimidating. But on a personal note, I'm just annoyed I couldn't spend some time at the Park.  I appreciate he might have some issues, but good God, his behaviour was very intimidating. We were very friendly towards him, and my husband chatted to him for a good 5 mins about the film, but I do wonder what might happen if we hadn't been so friendly? I was going to walk up the track on my own, relieved I didn't! I don't want to victimise the poor man, but is there something about CWGC trying to resolve it? 

Park by the cemetery on the road side ...He wont bother you then ! 

We'll miss him when he's gone.

I know its going over old ground, but the man in question did not look too good on his feet when I was him in May, He looked a shadow of his former self. Ian.

22 hours ago, horrocks said:

We'll miss him when he's gone.

Will we?

I certainly wont.

I  have it on good authority that a new road is going to be made from  the other end, a farmer has donated some land for a car park. and Hyndbburn Councill and others have made a cash donations along with C.W.G. for this project

Edited by Retlaw