Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Further Mystery Men

bobpike

Stephe & All,

Many thanks for all these leads, wonderful.

I'll re-check Dunmow memorial re Grant/Grout, in case it's a transcription error.

Again, thanks.

Two questions - what was the RE Special Brigade & any suggestions why Barrick does not appear on CWGC, post 1921 death?

Guest Pete Wood
Again, thanks.

Two questions - what was the RE Special Brigade & any suggestions why Barrick does not appear on CWGC, post 1921 death?

As you suggest, Barrick may have died after the cut-off date. Or he may have been discharged, and his death was not found to be caused by military service.

It would seem that a number of your casualties are not recorded by the military. Some memorial committees were obviously more 'liberal' with their criteria for being recorded than others. Good for the liberals, I say.

You may find his records survive, which could provide more info. There are also a few Labour Corps experts on the forum, who can tell you when this man transferred (based on his number) from the Suffolks.

Do a search on the forum, but I'm fairly sure the Special Brigade had a role connected with gas.

:)

There are two Thomas Hephers in Great Chesterford in 1901; father and son.

The father is a 26 year old butcher, born in Swavensey, Cambs. He's married to Fanny, aged 28. Their son Thomas is 11 months old and was born in Great Chesterford.

Steve

• 2 years later...

regarding Maurice Carter, He is on my list of men in the 1st NZ LTMB.

Anyone out there who has any further info I would be intersted. Where did his name first pop up?

Keith.

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this as the name George Henry Barrick has come up in research into bell ringers killed in the First World War. He does not appear on the original Great War Roll of Honour, but is recorded on a ringers' memorial in the church at Great Dunmow.

Some of his records survive and are on Ancestry, and show that he developed leukaemia during the period of his service, considered aggravated by service. I'm currently waiting on his death certificate to check that it confirms his death was from the same cause, and if it was, will put the wheels in motion for consideration of his case for commemoration.

Links to MIC, pension record etc in http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...t&p=1221555