Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Battalion Royal Fusiliers 1914-18 soldier

wf789

A lot of records only record an initial then added threst of the letters by hand. especially M ICS Year of birth could be a simple transcription error.

Hi everyone, thanks for all of your responses. I have been speaking with Barry over email for a bit as his emails are OK now. He has really helped me understand everything, although there are still many gaps to fill!

14 hours ago, BarryF said:

Hi Will,

Is it possible that the James Murphy of 12RF was only 'James' (I cannot trace reference to a middle name 'Henry') but he had a son James H(enry?) Murphy born 17 April 1919 to James snr of 12RF fame and his wife Mabel.  Confusingly, on one record he records his dob as 28 Sep 1893.

Hi Barry,

I believe that the middle name for James Murphy (12rf) was put onto ancestry by my relative who was told that his full name was James Henry Murphy. My Nan tells me that his full name is in fact James Henry Murphy (same as his Son's name born in 1919). 

However, all of the sources (see below) do not refer to him as James Henry Murphy but just James Murphy so I think it may be either confusion by my Nan with her brothers name or that his middle name just wasn't used in all of the official docs. Personally, I do not think his middle name was Henry.

These two below are him, for certain. Strange thing is that the first source says Birth 1893 and the second says 1892? Odd, must be a typo as they also spelt his daughter "Olive" as "Clive".

65psqFq.png

prCb6dV.png

I'm also fairly sure this one is also him, but not 100% certain as with the last two. I will ask my Nan what his Sisters, Father and Mothers name was tomorrow to confirm.

C0NT4t5.png

Hopefully we aren't going too off topic here! Sorry if any mods reading :blush:

Long story short, yes. Just James Murphy not James Henry M.

Will

10 hours ago, johnboy said:

A lot of records only record an initial then added threst of the letters by hand. especially M ICS Year of birth could be a simple transcription error.

I see, so it was normal for just the inital to be on the card.

Will

Edited by wf789