Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Change of Speed Limit in France

Frajohn

From the RAC website, the following changes are to come into force as from next Sunday, July 1st.

"The speed limit on many A and B roads in France will be reduced to 80km/h (50mph) – in a bid to save up to 400 lives a year.

Coming into effect from July 1, the reduction from 90km/h (56mph) will affect around 400,000km of departmental roads across the country and comes in response to an alarming rise in road deaths

The speed limit reductions, announced by French government road safety group, La Comité interministériel de sécurité routière, will apply to roads without a central reservation ‘separator’, like a rail or barrier, between carriageways.

The changes are to be accompanied by tougher penalties for drivers caught using a mobile phone behind the wheel, which could now lead to a driving ban.

British drivers heading to France are also advised that driving without a ‘clean air’ sticker, known as a Crit’Air vignette – which costs as little as £3.70 – makes them culpable for an on-the-spot fine of up to £117."

Regards

John

Does the clean air certificate only apply in certain towns?

Tony

12 hours ago, KIRKY said:

Does the clean air certificate only apply in certain towns?

Tony

It doesn't actually apply anywhere yet, although you are supposed to have it! I don't know of a single Frenchman (or woman) who has one.

The lowering of the speed limit is a bit strange. I have read in the papers that it doesn't apply on every road. But what that means seems to be a mystery as well.

The best advice is to keep your eyes open for speed limit signs, although the speed limit changes so frequently this is a full time job, without bothering to look at what is happening on the road.

And speed cameras have been changed.

Edited by healdav

Hi,

I don't know of a single Frenchman (or woman) who has one.

I do have one ! It's mostly in the big cities that people have the sticker where it is "supposed" to be mandatory... in Paris most of the cars have it and I see more and more in Lille or Reims.

The change of speed limit will be a nightmare, affecting on only certains roads in certain areas and not others. I jealous the British drivers in France who can't loose any points on their licence here, unlike us... 

Sly

As far as I am aware you are only liable to a fine for not having the Crit’Air certificate when you are somewhere that applies it. We have one for each of our cars as we may be called on to drive in Paris. But if you live in the country and only use your car for local journeys there is no point and no penalty.

Cheers Martin B

1 hour ago, Sly said:

Hi,

I do have one ! It's mostly in the big cities that people have the sticker where it is "supposed" to be mandatory... in Paris most of the cars have it and I see more and more in Lille or Reims.

The change of speed limit will be a nightmare, affecting on only certains roads in certain areas and not others. I jealous the British drivers in France who can't loose any points on their licence here, unlike us... 

Sly

Due to come in in 2020, always supposing.........................

Even though we spend most of our time around the Somme, I do have a crit air certificate.  I'm not sure if it will be needed if, for example, passing through Lille on the motorways but as it is so cheap to obtain one, it means there should be no need to worry now - unlike being caught out with the new speed limit.  On our last trip a couple of weeks ago there was a sign on the A1 advising drivers to slow down because of pollution levels that particular day.  Not a problem on local roads where on average we see about 3 vehicles on a 10 mile trip to Bapaume (maybe 5 or 6 vehicles during rush hour).

not got a sticker yet as talking to locals in our area no one else has them either.

I did read somewhere that the speed limits were changing back in May, has been talked about for a while now.

SLY  as for being jealous of the UK drivers don't be... as far as Im aware there was a change around April/May time where the French ministry and DVLA have agreed it will be easier to contact foreign drivers. Also read that in the future it may be an option to issue points. it is just the concern of who drove and who is the owner? The wife owns the car I drive in France.

in England I get the fine/points, in France she does.

but then, its like the ill fated breathalyser law, hard to enforce. supposed to have two, one as a spare but if you get pulled and 1 is used then 5km down the road get pulled again, you are illegal as you don't have a spare.

so basically if travelling to The Somme visiting Arras and  Albert do not officially need the certificate?

Tony

3 hours ago, chaz said:

SLY  as for being jealous of the UK drivers don't be... as far as Im aware there was a change around April/May time where the French ministry and DVLA have agreed it will be easier to contact foreign drivers. Also read that in the future it may be an option to issue points. it is just the concern of who drove and who is the owner? The wife owns the car I drive in France.

in England I get the fine/points, in France she does.

Hmm - if it is not too contentious - I wonder if that is one of those things that might change post Brexit??

3 hours ago, chaz said:

but then, its like the ill fated breathalyser law, hard to enforce. supposed to have two, one as a spare but if you get pulled and 1 is used then 5km down the road get pulled again, you are illegal as you don't have a spare.

Actually, the Gendarmes will not ask you to blow into your breathalyser as it is not legally acceptable! You blow into theirs.

29 minutes ago, nigelcave said:

Hmm - if it is not too contentious - I wonder if that is one of those things that might change post Brexit??

would they reverse it post Brexit (if it ever happens) , presumably cost of bringing it in then paying to take it out??? who knows with this government.

15 minutes ago, healdav said:

Actually, the Gendarmes will not ask you to blow into your breathalyser as it is not legally acceptable! You blow into theirs.

being as we have only started returning over the past 3 years then, why do we have to carry them?

brings back the old joke of ' please blow into this bag sir. Pourquoi ? vos frites sont trop chaud?

seriously though, makes me wonder how they ever catch anyone, my neighbour helps empty a bottle of wine at dinnertime then takes daughter back to school and carries on to work. meanwhile we hardly see a gendarme while driving around, and most gendarmerie's look closed when we pass. btw, our local gendarmerie is opposite the local decheterie  so easy to catch the dinnertime drinkers bringing their empties.

The 80km restriction is on all roads which currently have a 90km  speed limit and are two way traffic without a central barrier.

5 hours ago, chaz said:

would they reverse it post Brexit (if it ever happens) , presumably cost of bringing it in then paying to take it out??? who knows with this government.

What I was wondering is whether they would still have the arrangement with the DVLA and, presumably, vice versa (see post 8).

as with most things custom allowances, those of us with two houses one here one there tax implications, E111 cards,

we already know passports will change but having just established  connections with DVLA would they pull the plug or is there a way such as Interpol that existed prior to joining the EU

same thing with gun control and arms crossing the border even tracking foreign agents, would that stop ?

14 hours ago, chaz said:

being as we have only started returning over the past 3 years then, why do we have to carry them?

brings back the old joke of ' please blow into this bag sir. Pourquoi ? vos frites sont trop chaud?

seriously though, makes me wonder how they ever catch anyone, my neighbour helps empty a bottle of wine at dinnertime then takes daughter back to school and carries on to work. meanwhile we hardly see a gendarme while driving around, and most gendarmerie's look closed when we pass. btw, our local gendarmerie is opposite the local decheterie  so easy to catch the dinnertime drinkers bringing their empties.

No one has the slightest idea why Sarkozy made it mandatory to carry one, possibly so you can test yourself before driving, but even then the Gendarmes will not accept the result, they will make you blow into theirs, and prosecute if you are over, even if yours shows you below.. Most people don't have them.

I have a couple in the car, but I think they are now out of date.

Ferry Companies love things like breathalysers. Presumably the base cost of these things is peanuts but they can charge silly prices on the ferry for them. Living near the Channel Ports when this first came in several local shops this side of the channel such as ironmongers and chemists started selling breathalysers. Haven't seen them recently.

As for the Crit Air sticker. They are so cheap and easy to get it seems sensible to have one. They don't expire and mine arrived within a few days of ordering it online. 

My understanding was that it is illegal to drive a car in France, without having a breathalyser in the car.

There is however no penalty for not having one.

The reason the law was passed was the same reason the World Cup is currently being played in Russia,  and the next one is going to Qatar.

What is a Crit Air sticker?  And, where do you get one?

42 minutes ago, robertb said:

What is a Crit Air sticker?  And, where do you get one?

here you are:   https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

Easy to apply for, and not expensive. I obtained one soon after their introduction, although like others I rarely drive in major French cities.

Keith

Thank you very much.  I didn't know it existed until this morning.

Well, I've watched the video, and still have absolutely no idea what the point of this is, and how it is meant to benefit the environment.

It is no coincidence, I guess, that bureaucracy is a French word.

yes, it's so true...

As I work as a battlefield guide in France (so transporting people in my vehicle) here are all the different stickers that I must have on the windscreen of my car:

895048534_Capturedcran2018-06-2920_01_03.png.4e4cfdfd5117f4fbe578c12e3fd2c8db.png

"Crit'air" sticker: this one is not mandatory yet...

817221409_Capturedcran2018-06-2920_06_20.png.c0048da80b0b30f7182586984d5a2f24.png

"Controle technique": mechanical check, mandatory every year

2124184805_Capturedcran2018-06-2920_08_25.png.bc4f5eeca28780039be9973ef9b4cd75.png

"certificat d'assurance": insurrance certificate of the vehicle

793598226_Capturedcran2018-06-2920_09_51.png.4d86973c417e7bfb51d50347fa2c1cca.png

"licence de transport L.O.T.I": transport licence to carry passengers

1569498960_Capturedcran2018-06-2920_11_14.png.02d286e6fb1cd9a64899ec658342e9fb.png

"Véhicule de Tourisme avec Chauffeur (V.T.C)" , since 01/01/2018 I have this one too, another licence to carry or pick-up passengers in cities bigger than 100.000 people

the same sticker is supposed to be at the back of the car too...

1228022279_Capturedcran2018-06-2920_13_23.png.2d7696cc8b9ee7c7a94a9e603c22bf00.png

the personnal VTC card (with the photo of the driver) must be above the previous sticker when at work.

All these stickers must be visible on the windscreen, there's not much space for the driver to watch the road !

And the documents that I must have in case of a police control:

528619231_Capturedcran2018-06-2920_17_37.png.494e21454beb2799aa30c26ab4475de8.png

My driver's licence (different from the VTC one)

580426655_Capturedcran2018-06-2920_19_41.png.bf24ec8647754d063f7fab11918d48bd.png

the "carte grise" (grey card): the car certificate

767274045_Capturedcran2018-06-2920_21_01.png.122b4745c18afc38052c27bbfda07169.png

the LOTI transport licence: it must be the original document

772898844_Capturedcran2018-06-2920_23_09.png.2297584afb33b3afa41a6602bbd024ea.png

the "certificat d'aptitude médicale au transport de personnes" yellow card, medical check-up every 5 years.

Last year I was controlled by the police at Lille and my certificate was outdated since 4 month... 90 euros fine and 3 points lost and vehicle stopped.

Sly