Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Change of Speed Limit in France

Frajohn

6 hours ago, horrocks said:

Well, I've watched the video, and still have absolutely no idea what the point of this is, and how it is meant to benefit the environment.

It is no coincidence, I guess, that bureaucracy is a French word.

Quite simple, they’re currently putting into effect a system so that when particular environmental conditions arise, i.e. high temperatures together with still air, it is easier to reduce traffic levels within cities to reduce smog conditions.For example, vehicles with higher value certificates will be prohibited from entering or being used within the city. Also, certain categories, eg class 5, are not allowed in Paris at any time and no doubt this will spread to more city centres. This is to encourage the use of more fuel efficient less polluting vehicles. Yes it’s another layer of beurocracy but it’s not just the French that delight in this. However, I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the efficiency of the online application process having used it for my own car and our school minibus. In both cases the certificate was back to me within the week.

Ah, ok.

I don't suppose pollution levels in France and other European cities are helped by the complete domination of the diesel engine.

How to they monitor the badges as a matter of interest?

• 1 month later...

For those who are unsure that the Crit'Air vehicle differentiation system is applied, areas of Grand-Est are currently on red alert for pollution. This includes the departéments from Charleville-Mezières south through to Troyes, and both Haut-Rhin and Bas Rhin, Alsace. Map 

The responsive action in Alsace is that the speed limit on autoroutes and roads with a central reservation has been temporarily reduced by 20 kph everywhere, not just the Eurométropole (Strasbourg and the surrounding communes, about 20-30km in each direction on the French side). The authorities have temporarily reduced the price of public transport in Strasbourg and Mulhouse to help ameliorate the pollution and enable people to get around.

Because Alsace is currently above the pollution threshold, the Préfecture is considering whether to use its powers to apply the differentiated traffic system during the current situation, so that vehicles with Crit'Air vignettes of 4 and 5, and vehicles with no vignette, will not be able to drive in the Eurométropole.  

France Bleu 

A few of you may be considering visiting the Vosges and Alsace, even visiting the war areas, or passing though, and this might affect you. 3,11€ isn't a major investment, the procedure is fast and simple, and you have your vignette ready for any problems.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon
Newspaper link added

Thanks for this information, took me by surprise too.  We visited via Calais in April, and will be doing again in September so I've applied for a Crit'Air Vignette, but it seems they probably won't be issuing these for classic cars so I might just have to take a chance and hope that from a distance my windscreen pass for the local dump looks enough like a "Class 2" vignette.

As an American possibly driving from Brussels to Auchonvillers in a rental car,

will the rental car be required to have this assortment of decals of compliance the forum members writing about?

Not speaking or reading French how do you know if the speed limit has been lowered in certain area? 

And I thought yielding to the right was difficult....

Gene

42 minutes ago, genegwf said:

As an American possibly driving from Brussels to Auchonvillers in a rental car,

will the rental car be required to have this assortment of decals of compliance the forum members writing about?

Not speaking or reading French how do you know if the speed limit has been lowered in certain area? 

And I thought yielding to the right was difficult....

Gene

The rental car will have the required decals and documentation if they know it is to be driven in France, i would assume (although it's worth asking).

If the speed limit is not displayed on a sign then it is 50KpH in a built-up area, 80 on a single-carriageway road and 90 on a dual-carriageway.

Autoroutes are as before.