Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NAVAL & MILITARY PRESS

BIFFO

they have a sale on at the moment a genuine sale with some absolute bargains, now I need ww1 books like a hole in the head but I couldn't help

buy a couple.

BTW I don't work/own N&M just trying to help gwf

Biffo 

I recently commented elsewhere on the Forum that N&M are becoming a little like a certain purveyor of sofas.

Don't care,I bought 2 books that may help with my research MUCH cheaper than their advertised price,the only reason I posted

I thought maybe I could save gwf a few bob,bit silly of me wernt it ?

no veneer in here

SOFA now im off :P

Twenty pounds lighter.

Five books arrived this morning. 

Two I held of purchasing but the price was right. The other three, very cheap bargins. 

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 15:33, Steven Broomfield said:

I recently commented elsewhere on the Forum that N&M are becoming a little like a certain purveyor of sofas.

don't like to say I told you so  BUT I told you so :whistle:

I Have purchased 7 of them and am impressed with their service.  In fact have just ordered a second copy of “We are the Dead”,as a gift for a friend.  It is a lovely book of WW1 poems and paintings.  Yes, the usual suspects are well represented, but so are several of whom I have never heard.  

I learned that Binyon’s poem, “For the Fallen” doesn’t consist of only three verses.

Hazel C.

On 19 June 2018 at 14:18, BIFFO said:

they have a sale on at the moment a genuine sale with some absolute bargains, now I need ww1 books like a hole in the head but I couldn't help

buy a couple.

Biffo 

Naughty post!

My name is Margaret, I am addicted to book buying.

A good thing I have a day off work, just peeped in to N&M and now I am about to dive in. I expect to be some time!

Thanks for the heads up Biffo. 

On 19/06/2018 at 14:18, BIFFO said:

buy a couple.

Biffo 

Thank you Biffo. I picked out five I wanted,  but only bought two! Postage to south of Ireland expensive. 

My comparison with DFS was not meant in a derogatory way; I was merely observing that N&M appear to have a continuous sale. I suspect there is a Bateman cartoon somewhere: The Man Who Paid Full Price With Naval & Military Press.

On 22/06/2018 at 09:36, Steven Broomfield said:

My comparison with DFS was not meant in a derogatory way; I was merely observing that N&M appear to have a continuous sale. I suspect there is a Bateman cartoon somewhere: The Man Who Paid Full Price With Naval & Military Press.

N and M run on the same principle as South West Trains.....  I am sure you will be glad to know that.  A railway company runs what is called a "discriminating monopoly". As it controls the supply of carriages and seats, then it sets different prices for them both by time of day (Peak/Off peak) and by the quality of  travelling provided. First Class on South West Trains, of course, means  a sofa for each customer, a grand marque champagne, Fortnum and Mason hamper and the services of a dedicated flunkey. In Second class, I think you have to make do with a somewhat inferior hamper from Harrods.  The trick is that it makes each group of passengers pay what it wants to pay or is forced to (by time of day neccessity)- Second class cannot get the same as First Class. And, of course, the choice is basically Pay or the alternative is a Bridge on the River Kwai long march back home again..

Same for N and M.  The difference between a printed book and a ream of paper is the work and effort for the content- the "run-on" cost is minimal-probably less than 20p or so per book. The print run is targeted at those who will pay full cover price- institutional/public libraries and dedicated enthusiasts for that subject[;. Quite often the print run sells out. Then there are those who will not pay fill price for anything (who for the sake of argument we will call GWF members)  Once the full-price market is exhausted, then move on to the next one- have a sale.  The end game on this is to clear the stock and get whet money one can- thus, either to "remainder" dealers-or just pulp or,nowadays, give them away to charities. Which is why so many new,middlebrow books turn up in charity shops.  N and M have a good idea of how many will sell in each category of customer.  They are doing OK-their business model is sound...............   just like South West Trains.:wub:

Good Morning

Way back in February this year I ordered "The Fifth Division in the Great War" by Brig Gen A H Hussey and Major D S Inman in paperback. When I got round to reading it in May I discovered that page 183 was repeated as page 188 and  no page 188 at all with no other page involved. I reported this to  N & M on 17th May and they acknowledged that the digital file was in error and that it would be corrected. They offered me a new book which I accepted but advised it could take 4-6 weeks or more. I have not looked but hopefully this book if in the sale is an amended version!

regards

Indefatigable

2 hours ago, Ken Lees said:

Another 12 books ordered to add to the already groaning shelves.

You beat me, I stuck at 7.

7 books I really, really needed (although I don't think I even knew 6 of them existed before this morning!). 

We need someone to find a good sale of bookshelves now. 

I have bought many books from them over the years and have always had very good service. With the prices they charge for many books, even if it turns out to be not exactly what you wanted, you can afford to get rid of it.

I use N&M Press regularly & they are great value for money, & their fixed price p&p makes it worthwhile ordering more than one book at a time.  

I too use them regularly. I can only echo the same comments good friendly service and excellent value. Whatever the economics of it are, they appear to have beaten some of the bigger names, for example that one associated with a South American river, at their own game. 

I think they are very good, especially if you just want a basic text book for research. If you're a collector then you would probably shop elsewhere?

Mike

Indeed: I have 'duplicates' of quite  a few volumes. In some cases (the 15th Division History, for example) I bought the N&M version and decided it was one that needed the original to be alongside.

The quality of N&M reprints has improved hugely over the years - colour plates and maps now, as opposed to the old b/w sludgy plates.

I can't fault them as a company - really helpful whenever I've contacted them - but they do seem to have an Everlasting Sale. (I'm really not complaining!)

Like Steve I have two copies of some things, especially histories. I use the modern copies for reference to avoid damaging the original. 

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Indeed: I have 'duplicates' of quite  a few volumes. In some cases (the 15th Division History, for example) I bought the N&M version and decided it was one that needed the original to be alongside.

There are TWO  versions of the 15 th Div. History????  If I remember correctly, The one I have is by John  Buchan et al.  Who wrote the other, and where does one find it?  I THOUGHT that the Divisional History was the Divisional History.

thanks,

Hazel

8 hours ago, Margosh said:

You beat me, I stuck at 7.

7 books I really, really needed (although I don't think I even knew 6 of them existed before this morning!). 

We need someone to find a good sale of bookshelves now. 

In my defence, 2 of them weren't for me and one of the 10 wasn't Great War related.

2 hours ago, hazelclark said:

There are TWO  versions of the 15 th Div. History????  If I remember correctly, The one I have is by John  Buchan et al.  Who wrote the other, and where does one find it?  I THOUGHT that the Divisional History was the Divisional History.

thanks,

Hazel

No: I bought the N&M reprint, then the original because it was such a fine book

A John Buchan book I don't have? *investigates piggy-bank*

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

No: I bought the N&M reprint, then the original because it was such a fine book

I see.  For a few minutes I thought there was a History of which I hadn’t heard!

Thanks

H.C.