Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NAVAL & MILITARY PRESS

BIFFO

53 minutes ago, seaJane said:

A John Buchan book I don't have? *investigates piggy-bank*

Well, he HAS written books you might prefer to read.  Unless of course, like me, you had a Grandfather in the 1st Seaforth. Although to be honest, when I recently re read some of his books I was disappointed.  Old age I guess.

H

I collect John Buchan and have most of his books - I draw the line at the one about the laws of taxation in South Africa!

48 minutes ago, seaJane said:

I collect John Buchan and have most of his books - I draw the line at the one about the laws of taxation in South Africa!

So, then, Jane- a favourable review for:

The Law Relating to the Taxation of Foreign Income (London,Stevens,1905) ?????   :wub:

Oh, okay - not South Africa! I'm sure the style is eminently readable, but I doubt that the subject is equally so...

the thing that's grinding my gears?

I aint getting any discount for all the business, in fact going to have another look to see if there's anything else I  don't want :whistle:

Biffo

I have invested £46.00 on 8 books on the pretence they are for holiday reading 

her indoors has threatened to throttle you if she ever meets you

as she has just discovered the money was siphoned out of our holiday fund :D

Ray 

Dear All,

An on-going N&M Press Sale for bookshelves is something I need, too!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

19 hours ago, RaySearching said:

Biffo

her indoors has threatened to throttle you if she ever meets you

as she has just discovered the money was siphoned out of our holiday fund :D

Ray 

glad to have helped, Ray please tell your wife I now live in Tibet :P

BTW enjoy your holiday  

:poppy:

On 23 June 2018 at 13:04, BIFFO said:

the thing that's grinding my gears?

I aint getting any discount for all the business, in fact going to have another look to see if there's anything else I  don't want :whistle:

Dear Biffo

My box of 7 books arrived, and their printed catalogue (so much I didn't know I really, really need).

Your initial post should've come with a health warning!

I may be some time. I am in my element. Thank you.

Regards

Margaret

Yes it’s catching. Now all I need is time to read.

H.C. 

• 2 months later...

I placed an order during their most recent sale in the 5th of September. Surprisingly the books have not arrived. So thinking the package might have got lost. I logged into my account this evening. The order status says "currently processing". I assume this means they haven't even posted them out yet - 8 working days later. Is this their usual form or has my order run into some trouble that I need to contact them. 

I placed an order from N & MP on 7th September and it was delivered on Tuesday 11th September -best to contact them.

I usually find their service very good.  Maybe they don’t have your book in stock.  As someone said you can email or call.

Hazel C.

10 hours ago, Jervis said:

I placed an order during their most recent sale in the 5th of September. Surprisingly the books have not arrived. So thinking the package might have got lost. I logged into my account this evening. The order status says "currently processing". I assume this means they haven't even posted them out yet - 8 working days later. Is this their usual form or has my order run into some trouble that I need to contact them. 

You can e-mail or phone. The guy who runs the company is very helpful. I would say that they are waiting for a stock of the book you ordered.

I came across the N&M Press sale by accident. Ended up cursing the fact that they had three volumes at rock bottom prices that I had paid full price for not that long ago...... resisted urge to buy doubles just because they were a bargain...... selectively purchased 9 books (yes, yes, like a hole in the head)....... went back next day and purchased 10 more. I'll admit it, I have a problem.

24 minutes ago, NorthStaffsPOW said:

I came across the N&M Press sale by accident. Ended up cursing the fact that they had three volumes at rock bottom prices that I had paid full price for not that long ago...... resisted urge to buy doubles just because they were a bargain...... selectively purchased 9 books (yes, yes, like a hole in the head)....... went back next day and purchased 10 more. I'll admit it, I have a problem.

You and me both. Have not been reading much lately either!

H.C.

Dear All,

We collectors all have that sort of problem - but why leave the money in the Bank?

Admittedly, it makes more sense to buy Great War medals, rather than Great War books (one can always sell the former and at worst, break even), but it is an absorbing hobby, to say the very least...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

1 hour ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear All,

We collectors all have that sort of problem - but why leave the money in the Bank?

Admittedly, it makes more sense to buy Great War medals, rather than Great War books (one can always sell the former and at worst, break even), but it is an absorbing hobby, to say the very least...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Indeed it would seem to make more sense but for me medal collecting and book buying go hand in hand. For example recent purchase of an Australian pair to a Polygon Wood casualty = purchase and reading of 5th Australian Divisional history. It seems that every medal or medal group I buy reveals relevant literature that I also "must have". As you say, it is absorbing.

Cheer, James.

3 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear All,

but why leave the money in the Bank?

I couldn't agree more with the above,battlefield relics-"ordinary" ww1 books I've got loads,read once, battle field  guides-reference books I look at often,I too thought with interest rates as they are money like manure best spread around. I now collect/research welsh medals,I have the pleasure ? of research  with ref/ guide books +gwf brains,when the trumpet calls hopefully my family will profit rather than being left lots of rusty bits,I am researching a chap at the moment I have his medals,I found out his family  where/what  but then I read the wd for his battalion on the day he died "enemy fired green/red flares and the trench heavily bombarded "in these few lines I had read this chaps death, along with the medals came envelopes, death  penny still in it cardboard case the medals still in packaging, the ribbons never taken out still brand new, maybe his wife/mother couldn't face looking at them who knows.This really adds another dimension to my collection.:poppy:

Dear James, dear BIFFO,

We are indeed in whole-hearted agreement, inasmuch as I am surrounded by Officer medal groups - with portraits framed - these flanked by banks of books related to their Corps; Regiments, and everything between!

What would I give, for example, for a reprint of the three or four volumes held at the BL, of the Indian Army Reserve of Officers'101803103_IAROCoverJanice.jpg.3c7e22b711aa8d1831bc53e37ca29e5c.jpg joining details, 1914-18...

This hobby is addictive!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I missed the BIG sales I guess but still found some interesting items... problem is that shipping costs to Belgium are more expensive than the books themselves...

M.

Yes I agree N&M is the best, but I also use 'world of books' which sells second hand books at reasonable prices - post free.  I got a clean hard back copy  of Chemical Soldiers for £8.  I think that it is good value - until an expert tells me different!

Richard

good to have friends... ordered them to be delivered to a mate on the Island who comes over regularly... saves a lot on shipping!!!

on the other hand... It's going to cost me buying his silence for not telling The Boyfriend and others that I bought another couple of books...

M.

• 1 month later...

For anyone who doesn't receive N&MP e-mails , they are doing a special 25% off all Great War books between now and Monday (8-12 Nov)