Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Turkish Bayonets

Steve1871

My friend has 4 bayonets, both of us do not know what difference the M.90 and M93 Bayoners are, or the same, Believe Turky used both in at least first half of Great War.2 in Arabic, one in German/English.

Can anyone read what the markings say PLEASE!!!!!

Thanks. Steve

Sorry, no see pics just posted. Here they are again

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

If memory serves, the Turkish script on the Solingen translates to the WKS marking.

The four characters at bottoms are dates. You have:

1309 again. 

1892 and 1895.

All your Turkish bayonets are M1890 which fitted both the M1890 and M1893 rifles. There wasn't any M1893 bayonet.

The Arabic inscriptions are written in the Ottoman (or Osmanli) script and read as follows, from the top bayonet down ...

Made by Weyersberg Kirschbaum, 1309 ... (or our 1891 - for the M1890 rifle)

Made by Simson, Suhl, 1313 ... (or our 1895 - for the M1893 rifle)

Made by Haenel, Suhl, 1309 ... (or our 1891 - for the M1890 rifle)

It is unusual to see the inscription written in English letters. Presumably this is one of the 'overrun' bayonets produced after the Ottoman contract was terminated.?

EDIT. Upon closer inspection your bayonet with the English lettering is actually NOT a Turkish bayonet at all, but what is known as the Luxembourg M1900. These are ostensibly the same as the M1890 but made later for Luxembourg in very small numbers. These are now considered to be quite rare. Google "Luxembourg Bayonet M1900" for more info.

Edited by shippingsteel

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/05/2018 at 00:50, shippingsteel said:

EDIT. Upon closer inspection your bayonet with the English lettering is actually NOT a Turkish bayonet at all, but what is known as the Luxembourg M1900. These are ostensibly the same as the M1890 but made later for Luxembourg in very small numbers. These are now considered to be quite rare. Google "Luxembourg Bayonet M1900" for more info.

Oh welcome back SS me old matey from darn under! As it is I am working forwards through unread posts and have replied to Steve's earlier post on this matter at: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/261369-turkish-bayonets/ I also linked him from there to my thread on GWF on these M.1900 bayonets, which you must have forgotten - and safer that than googling, I can assure you, you know how pedantic I am! See: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/222533-a-luxembourg-m1900-bayonet/