Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Luxembourg M.1900 bayonet

trajan

This is an example of probably one of the rarest GW bayonets, a Luxembourg M.1900... Yes, I know, the Luxembourg 'army' did not exactly distinguish itself on August 01/02 1914, but nonetheless it was - like Belgium - an occupied neutral!

So, what is a Luxembourg M.1900 bayonet like? Well it's a Turkish M.1890 with a Turkish-style scabbard, and Turkish ordnance marks, but lacking the Tughra, and it has the makers name (Weyersburg / Kirschbaum & Co / Solingen) in Latin script, not Osmanli. Bayonet and scabbard are also given serial numbers - 'OO / XXX', the '00' prefix standing for 1900, so they weren't mistaken for regular Turkish 1890's(?). These bayonets were provided to fit the Luxembourg Model 1900 Mauser, which was a production-extra at the end of the Swedish M.1890 contract with Mauser Oberndorf (see: http://dutchman.rebooty.com/Luxembourg_Model_1900.html).

One thing I haven't sorted out yet is how many of these Luxembourg rifles (and so bayonets) were made. Some web-sources say 500, some say 1000, some say 5,000. However, I have only been able to trace three other examples of this bayonet: these are serialed - 00/119 (http://www.old-smithy.info/country%20sheets/luxembourg.htm); 00/266 (in Otto's Turkish collection); and 00/343 (http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?368896-WW11-Brit-Taylor-Knife-Luxembourg-M00-Bayonet). My example is marked 00/191 (scabbard) and 00/426 (bayonet). And the highest rifle number I have found from the web is 00/496, so I suspect that only 500 of these rifles and bayonets were actually produced - but I am happy (as always!) to be corrected on that.

Whatever, I hope you bayonet lovers will join me in raising a glass and sharing in this for me very Merry Christmas!

post-69449-0-74586500-1419526013_thumb.jpost-69449-0-28345300-1419526028_thumb.jpost-69449-0-69210900-1419526044_thumb.jpost-69449-0-54394200-1419526064_thumb.jpost-69449-0-16334900-1419526088_thumb.j

This is an example of probably one of the rarest GW bayonets, a Luxembourg M.1900... Yes, I know, the Luxembourg 'army' did not exactly distinguish itself on August 01/02 1914, but nonetheless it was - like Belgium - an occupied neutral!

So, what is a Luxenbourg M.1900 bayonet like? Well it's a Turkish M.1890 with a Turkish-style scabbard, and Turkish ordnance marks, but lacking the Tughra, and it has the makers name (Weyersburg / Kirschbaum Cie / Solingen) in Latin, not Osmanli. Bayonet and scabbard are also given serial numbers - 'OO / XXX', the '00' prefix standing for 1900, so they weren't mistaken for regular Turkish 1890's(?). These bayonets were provided to fit the Luxembourg Model 1900 Mauser, which was a production-extra at the end of the Swedish M.1890 contract with Mauser Oberndorf.

Trajan,

With that few number being produced, you have found yourself an obvious WW1 rarity, a nice find !

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Regards,

LF

Trajan,

With that few number being produced, you have found yourself an obvious WW1 rarity, a nice find !

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Regards,

LF

Thanks LF! To be honest although I knew it was 'odd' when I first saw it, which is why I bought it, I have been sitting on it for a week or so since then trying to find out more about it. But if Otto and Old Smithy agree on this type, then, yes, I do think I have been very lucky with this one!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you also - and good hunting in the New Year!

Trajan

According to this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_occupation_of_Luxembourg_during_World_War_I, quoting this reference: http://web.archive.org/web/20060822160910/http://www.nat-military-museum.lu/pageshtml/luxembourgarmy.php#4A, then the Force Armée Luxembourgeoise in 1914 totalled 400 or so... Allowing for a few spares, then it does seem possible that only 500 or so of these Luxembourg M.1900 rifles and bayonets were made and supplied...

A few thoughts on this type of bayonet, bearing in mind that I am not overly familiar with the mass-production methods involved in bayonet manufacture.

1) The blade is a regular Turkish M.1890 type, but has the maker's mark in Latin script. So, the maker's stamps are added after the blade is formed.

2) BUT, there are Ottoman marks on the pommel and on the blade spine, and also on the inner face of the cross-guard... So, what are they doing there?

3) No clear evidence there was ever a tughra (the bayonet has gone back to Ankara with 'er indoors and the bairns, and I am in istanbul and so can't check). So, tughra added when accepted into Ottoman service?

Under the terms of the treaty of 1867, Luxembourg was not allowed any army at all.

They were allowed a 'Company of Volunteers' which was armed and included the military band, and was intended as an honour guard for the Grand Duke.

It was limited to 188 men (why that number I can find no trace).

There was also an armed Gendarmerie of a maximum of 188 men.

The two units were under one commander who also commander of the Company of Volunteers. Two others commanded the Gendarmerie (divided into a north and south command).

Apart from rifles, the Company of Volunteers had 2 machine guns, but what they normally did with them or planned to do with them is unknown to me. On 2 August they deployed them to safeguard their barracks.

Given that a complete army corps passed through Luxembourg there was not a great deal that 188 men (if that) with rifles could do.

One gendarme held up the invasion for over an hour by blocking the road with his vehicle. When the advance guard saw an unarmed Gendarme officer approaching them on his bicycle they turned and fled! (and that story is told by the Germans).

Edited by healdav

Under the terms of the treaty of 1867, Luxembourg was not allowed any army at all....

Thanks for that input!

I have been finding it very difficult using just the web to learn more about the armed forces of the Duchy in 1914... However, the web page I noted above had this to say:

"The new corps established under the law of 16 February 1881 marked the beginnings of the wholly national Luxembourg Army ("Force Armée Luxembourgeoise"). This national characteristic of the corps explains why the centenary of the Armed Force was celebrated in 1981.

1. The Gendarmes and Volunteers Corps comprised two companies under a single command:
  1. a 125-strong company of gendarmes;
  2. a company of volunteers garrisoned in Luxembourg comprising 140 - 170 privates and NCOs.

In times of crisis, the strength could increase to 250.

The officer corps numbered 9 officers, to whit:

1 major (commanding officer)

2 captains (company commanders)

4 - 6 subalterns.

The military band comprised 39 musicians including its director of music.

After 1881, the military organization remained unchanged until 1938 when the Grand Ducal decree of 30 September increased the number of volunteers to 300."

That;'s what I was basing my estimate of 500 or so on.

They were not allowed to call it an army as armies were forbidden! That is why they called it the "Company of Volunteers". It carried this name until 1945 (leaving aside the Free Luxembourgers of the Piron Brigade).

It then became the Luxembourg army, and still carries this name. It now has 400 or so soldiers and usually serves in NATO command as either part of the Belgian or Dutch component (mostly Belgian these days).

It is now commanded by a colonel.

Right up to the invasion of 1940 they were only armed with rifles and a couple of machineguns. They knew that any invasion would be impossible to resist.

After the invasion of 1940 the Company was taken off to Weimar for retraining as 'police'. Most of them were then sent to Yugoslavia where they were badly cut up by the partisans, although eventually they reached a 'no-shoot' agreement with them (without telling the German army).

Between the invasion of 1914 and 1918 they carried out duties as sentries at the Post Office, and as general police as the Germans who moved through Luxembourg, especially those going on leave, were apt to buy or steal as much food as they could. There were checkpoints on all the roads and rail stations to search soldiers' baggage, manned by the Luxembourgers and with a German soldier (usually a sergeant) as a witness. The lists of things confiscated seems risible today, but was pretty serious then - sausages, butter, bread even.

They were not allowed to call it an army as armies were forbidden! That is why they called it the "Company of Volunteers". It carried this name until 1945 (leaving aside the Free Luxembourgers of the Piron Brigade). ...

... Between the invasion of 1914 and 1918 they carried out duties as sentries at the Post Office, and as general police as the Germans who moved through Luxembourg, especially those going on leave, were apt to buy or steal as much food as they could. There were checkpoints on all the roads and rail stations to search soldiers' baggage, manned by the Luxembourgers and with a German soldier (usually a sergeant) as a witness. The lists of things confiscated seems risible today, but was pretty serious then - sausages, butter, bread even.

Thanks for the update and correction, and also nice to know what this force did in 1914-18 - BTW, did the Grand Duke remain there?

The list of things to be confiscated, well certainly makes one think of the food shortages that troubled Germany...

Trajan

You will find the complete answer in my book, "Victims Nonehteless" which is available on Kindle.

In brief, the Grand Duchess was captured along with the government and everyone else. As the country was neutral with every great power guaranteeing that, they never even imagined that they would be invaded. There was nothing they could do.

In WW2 they had realised after the 1914 experience, that Germany would invade, and as they did so, the Royal family and the government fled to France, Portugal, and eventually the USA/Canada and Britain.

The previous Grand Duke - Jean - was a lieutenant in the Irish Guards, and is still their colonel-in-chief. His father, the Grand Duchess's husband, was a captain in the British and then US army under Patton. As he was a trained officer (having been in the Austrian army in WW1) and spoke, English, French and German, he was a valuable and pretty rare bird.

You will find the complete answer in my book, "Victims Nonehteless" which is available on Kindle.

In brief, the Grand Duchess was captured along with the government and everyone else. As the country was neutral with every great power guaranteeing that, they never even imagined that they would be invaded. There was nothing they could do.

Thanks! And so much for Great Powers guaranteeing neutrality, vis a vis recent events in one part of Europe...

Real nice find Julian, thats Iin fantastic shape & a very rare beast.

Congrats mate, you scored there :) :)

Aleck

Real nice find Julian, thats Iin fantastic shape & a very rare beast.

Congrats mate, you scored there :) :)

Aleck

Cheers Aleck! Not often that I get a nice one to compare with what you have!

E-mail to come tomorrow...

Thanks! And so much for Great Powers guaranteeing neutrality, vis a vis recent events in one part of Europe...

If you really want to upset a diplomat, tell them this story, and suggest that a diplomatic 'guarantee' is like, having a sign saying, 'GUARANTEED. USED CAR'. It guarantees that the car is used, nothing else.

Hello Trajan, et al...

I have a minty conditioned one of these, but have never given it much thought. The S/N on the bayonet is 00/447 while the scabbard is 00/350. So it hasn't cracked the 500 number yet.

Best regards!

- Mike

That's good to know Mike! So that's four certain examples now in the US of A - and according to my dealer friend mine came from there originally... Methinks Luxembourg had a clear-out when they heard that Turkey had dumped all of their out-of-service bayonets in the US of A for a tidt sum in the 60's... Dumping would also explain mis-matched numbers - scabbards and bayonet!

And now you had better give it some thought about the one you have, one of the rarest of the GW period bayonets! Ok, ok, so they weren't used in combat - but even so, they did service as issued weapons!

Trajan

Hi Trajan -

I appreciate your pointing the GW Connection, as I did not make that before. Now I will appreciate it even more! :thumbsup:

Best regards!

- Mike

post-23621-0-73590900-1420843395_thumb.j

Mike,

It is a very nice looking piece - when I get back to Turkey I'll try and get some better photographs of mine but it looks to be in the same general condition. Yes, the Luxembourg army / militia / whatever may not have actually fought in the GW, but these bayonets were certainly around and in service use, so the GW credentials are fine.

Best,

Julian

I found these photographs on another forum (http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?266606-Luxembourg-Mauser-Bayonet&highlight=luxembourg+mauser+rifle) and reproduce them here for reference purposes, of the Luxembourg 'army' with their M.1900 rifles and bayonets... Unfortunately, no clue as the date of either but I would hazard a guess that the top one is post GW, the bottom one pre-GW.

Trajan

post-69449-0-36009800-1421232573_thumb.j post-69449-0-62497200-1421232606_thumb.j

Trajan,

The left hand photo is definitely post WW1.

It may even date from the 1950s.

The right hand photo is pre-WW1, and is one of a series of photos that were produced as postcards from the 1870s onwards.

Both photos were taken outside the then barracks of the Company in the centre of Luxembourg city - on Plateau St Esprit. They now have a complete new depot and barracks outside the town of Diekirch.

The two buildings shown are now gone, but the building whose roof can be seen in the background of the left hand photo is still there. The top floor was used as the band's rehearsal room until into the 1980s, and the lower floors are now the National Archives.

Unusually, to get to the top floor you have to go over a bridge. There is a plaque on one of the pillars at the entrance to the bridge which records its use by the Company of Volunteers. The whole building is a part of the Luxembourg UNESCO World Heritage site.

The area to the right of the left hand photo, if you see what I mean, is now completely rebuilt and houses the 'Cité Judiciare' - law courts and most barristers offices, Ministry of Justice, etc.

I don't recognise the bench in the right hand photo!

The left hand photo is definitely post WW1.

It may even date from the 1950s.

The right hand photo is pre-WW1, and is one of a series of photos that were produced as postcards from the 1870s onwards.

...I don't recognise the becnh in the right hand photo!

Thank you! I had a feeling that the one photograph might even be post WW2, but wasn't prepared to suggest that, not knowing anything about what the Luxembourg 'army' uniform and weaponry might be that late. I was last in Luxembourg in 1972, and so any memory I might have had of that bench has long been sent to the far depths of the brain... :wacko:

As there is so much interest in the bayonets, I will mail the curator of the military museum (one of the best I have ever been in - I'm the official English language guide, not that anyyone has ever asked!), and ask him if he knows what happened to the equipment.

That would be really good and useful - thanks! Mind you, I am getting the impression that rare as they are, they are not as rare as might be... I have just received a mssg from somebody in the US of A reporting a scabbard-less example with the serial number 00/263. So that's what, 5? As all the examples I know off so far are in or came from 'over the pond', it looks like there was a mass-clear out at some point and they all went over there.

Still, this is an interesting topic - proof that those M.1890's were all ready (with scabbards and all) and proofed for Turkey, but never went there so could be re-assigned to Luxembourg.

Trajan

• 2 weeks later...

I sent this query about Luxembourg bayonets to the curator of the military museum here, and this is the interim reply that I got today:

Yes, as far as I know, the pre-WW1 “Freiwellgekompanie” of Luxembourg had the M 1900 8 mm “Turkish Mauser 98 system rifle” with matching bayonet.

In our stocks we unfortunately do not have that weapon We are ourselves looking desperately for one! I will go thru our library to look for literature on it … if we have it .. and then mail it to you!

Well, your friend has a very rare gem.

If I get anything else, I will pass it on.