Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers service data based on Regiment number

WWIresearcher

Hi Stuart,

5 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

He would not have been sent there for  "for treatment and recuperation, pending a medical board assessment of whether he was fit enough to return to duties in a full or reduced capacity, or if he should be discharged"

Sorry to have misled. Terry is a true expert. Perhaps he might be able to suggest a more informed opinion on the likely end path of Johns' service.

Regards

Chris

Sarcasm does you no good Chris and does not help the OP either. By your own admission all you have done introduced perhaps and maybes. There are two facts:

His number shows the allocated unit and that his discharge unit was at Chatham. Can you provide a solid piece of evidence to the contrary?

TR

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if I might extend this topic by asking about Pioneer 604888 William Jackson. He had joined 2/Kings Shrops Light Infantry in 1900 as Pte 6484 and in 1917 (I think) transferred to the Western Command Centre Labour Corps as Pte 355844 from which he was discharged in Nov 1917. He seems then to have re-enlisted into the RE. Does his number indicate a particular date / unit? Any help appreciated.

Looks like a 1919 re-enlistment for a one year stint. https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/re-enlisting-into-the-army-in-1919/

604880 Pioneer Hardman RE re-enlisted May 1919 under that provisions of Army Order in April 1919.  That man served his year in France.  He was medical category B2 so your man's invaliding does not seem to have been a barrier - there was a similar example a short while ago.

Max

Edited by MaxD

Thank you MaxD for that. Hardman's number is so close that I'm sure you're right.I had not considered a post war enlistment. It didn't last long though. Wm Jackson was discharged in Nov 1919 - presumably due to ill-health as detailed on his pension ledger entry. Thanks again.