Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo Want Pls: Pte Frederick Cosham, 16th Lancs Fusiliers.

mike gunnill

Hi Mike

Glad we were of help. I would say from what I've gleaned from Forum members the best option for finding a photograph of a deceased soldier is to check the local newspapers around where he lived, say 4 weeks or so after his death. Given that his death came so close to the armistice, the papers may have had other matters on their minds, however it would be worth a try. As he was a Baker, could he have been a member of a local society, association or group, they may have wanted to honour one of their own in a trade publication. I don't have access to the Find My Past web-site but I believe they have searchable local newspapers and periodicals and they do have free trial periods. The British Library has newspapers, but again a fee is applicable. The Times Digital Archive may well have a record of his death, but no picture, again check around 4 weeks or so after his death. This latter archive is accessible from your local library at no cost or from your home if you have a library card.

My Great Uncle was, according to family legend, gassed during his time with the Fusiliers, but apart from a couple of mentions of gassing incidents in the War Diary I haven't been able to ascertain for certain this was the case. (For example there was an incident on 25th August 1918 when the Battalion suffered 429 casualties, gassed). He survived the war, but apparently suffered ill health for a number of years, dying in 1927. I have three photographs of him after the war, two in uniform, but I was hoping for something to turn up such as a Lancashire Fusilier company/platoon photograph which would help to confirm exactly where he was in 1918.

Hope your search goes well and keep everyone informed, something you find may help others.

Regards

Alan

Hello Alan

Thank you for your kind words. I will share what I obtain, but this may be a while. I am writing a feature on Frederick Cosham for Bygone Kent Magazine. I should think, the feature will be used at some point near to November. After this has been published, I have no problem sharing everything. 

Thank you again

Regards

Mike