Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

More bad news from Europe on De-act Bolt action rifles

T8HANTS

31 minutes ago, 5thBatt said:

Especially when NZ is ranked 2nd most peaceful country out of 163 countries & the UK is ranked 57th

But statistics never lie.............As if

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like someone ran amok with a BB gun in Manchester. How long before BB and air guns are banned? Then water pistols.....

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 07:18, Gunner Bailey said:

Looks like someone ran amok with a BB gun in Manchester. How long before BB and air guns are banned? Then water pistols.....

Although this is now stale news... when the report into the incident came on our local news channel - 'Granada Reports', I remember thinking that someone had heard the word 'pellets' used... and automatically assumed 'airgun' without even thinking how someone could injure in excess of 10 people in a matter of seconds. It seemed quite apparent to me at the time that it was a shotgun that had been used - which in fact proved to be the case, and one person received serious leg injuries.

And on the topic of the new spec deactivated weapons... I attended the recent Preston Arms fair and was able to examine the new spec weapons being shown by World Wide Arms. Although as good as solid lumps, the standard of the deactivation workmanship was excellent, and nothing was really outwardly visible. They would certainly pass muster for visual displays!

Cheers,

Steve.

I'm not sure the message re the new deactivation standards has got through to everyone, looking on the Milweb site there are still items being advertised as being able to be cocked and dry fired and with EU deactivation certificates. 

Steve, did World Wide Arms appear to be doing much business at the arms fair?  The prices do seem high for solid lumps which you can't play with demonstrate the action.  I suppose they would make good wall-hangers, though.

7 hours ago, 593jones said:

I'm not sure the message re the new deactivation standards has got through to everyone, looking on the Milweb site there are still items being advertised as being able to be cocked and dry fired and with EU deactivation certificates. 

Steve, did World Wide Arms appear to be doing much business at the arms fair?  The prices do seem high for solid lumps which you can't play with demonstrate the action.  I suppose they would make good wall-hangers, though.

I spoke to Dan of D&B at War and Peace and he said that they had built up a good stock of deacts to the previous EU standard which they are allowed to keep selling. The new rule affects the deactivation process from the 28th June 2018 rather than the sale of deacts.

Edited by Gunner Bailey

13 hours ago, Gunner Bailey said:

I spoke to Dan of D&B at War and Peace and he said that they had built up a good stock of deacts to the previous EU standard which they are allowed to keep selling. The new rule affects the deactivation process from the 28th June 2018 rather than the sale of deacts.

Am I reading that correctly?  D&B are allowed to sell deacts to the previous spec as they have them in stock?  Would that apply to everyone, then, or just dealers?

The weapons that I checked over on the WWA stand were done to the new specs, and yes there were several people around the stall. People will continue to buy, no matter how they are deactivated. If they want to collect military weapons which cannot be held on a 'Section 1' they have little choice. I dare say that a lot of collectors from my generation can remember the time when you NEVER saw military weapons for sale at militaria fairs. The only way you could own them was on Section 1 or shotgun certificate. This led to the ridiculous sight of Sten guns converted to semi only - and fitted with 24 inch smooth bored barrels. The next target for our country will be 'Section 58' weapons. I believe that there is a program about these guns being aired on BBC2 this coming Tuesday 28th... although it might be wise to check the program schedules in case I have it wrong.

Cheers,

Steve. 

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

The next target for our country will be 'Section 58' weapons. I believe that there is a program about these guns being aired on BBC2 this coming Tuesday 28th... although it might be wise to check the program schedules in case I have it wrong.

BBC1 8.30 Monday, Panorama-legal guns....from the clips, looks like an instruction manual on how easy it is to make or obtain ammunition. Don't own any luckily, but strongly suspect also that things may change, and any within that obsolete calibre bracket may be required to be deactivated eventually...I sincerely hope I'm wrong!

Dave.

10 hours ago, 593jones said:

Am I reading that correctly?  D&B are allowed to sell deacts to the previous spec as they have them in stock?  Would that apply to everyone, then, or just dealers?

It only applies to EU certificated deacts. Anything before that can't be sold or resold, given etc. The regulation is aimed at (oops) the deactivation process  from 28th June rather than sales.

I must say I find it all very confusing.  If it has an EU certificate, even if it is not to the current specification, it can be sold, transferred, etc?  Yet the World Wide Arms web site has this to say:

'After the 28th June 2018 if you wish to sell, trade, give, transfer etc. a deactivated firearm it must conform to Regulation (EU) 2018/337 and have the appropriate UK issued Proof House Certificate. (again as last time,'  

The EU regulation quoted states that:

5.9 Trigger mechanism: Ensure destruction of the physical operating link between the trigger blade and the hammer, striker or sear. Fuse the trigger mechanism together with weld within receiver/frame, where applicable. If such fusion of the trigger mechanism is not possible, remove the trigger mechanism and fill the area with weld or epoxy resin.

5.10 Trigger mechanism: The trigger mechanism and/or housing has to be welded to the receiver/frame (in case of steel frame) or glued to the receiver/frame with high temperature resistant glue (in case of light metal or polymer frame).

These procedures would, of course, make it impossible to dry fire the deactivated firearm. 

14 hours ago, 5thBatt said:

I would, but I'm too old!

Last night's BBC Panorama programme on 'Legal Guns', raises a number of issues which no doubt will be discussed here.

The Lawyer who postulated a scenario in which it is more difficult to dispose of a kettle at a scrapyard, than buy a 'legal gun', citing that you apparently

have to show both your driving license and passport when doing so, might do well to consider the huge amounts of sheet lead stolen on a regular basis from country churches

locally, and thoughout the country then disposed of through these same scrapyards.  What kind of paper trail exists for this material?

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

On the upside, I note that WWA are now able to sell separate 'spare' barrels (deactivated to current EU spec) and have a number of MkII BREN barrels in stock.  Having enquired into this, it appears that the Proof Houses are now happy to proof barrels separate from complete weapons, which they couldn't do up to a few months ago.  So anyone with a BREN/L4/MG42/GPMG, etc could get hold of a real (deactivated) spare barrel.  Check out this link:

https://www.worldwidearms.com/product/dab526-deactivated-303-mk-ii-bren-gun-spare-barrel--1151

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 11:07, MikeyH said:

Last night's BBC Panorama programme on 'Legal Guns', raises a number of issues which no doubt will be discussed here.

The Lawyer who postulated a scenario in which it is more difficult to dispose of a kettle at a scrapyard, than buy a 'legal gun', citing that you apparently

have to show both your driving license and passport when doing so, might do well to consider the huge amounts of sheet lead stolen on a regular basis from country churches

locally, and thoughout the country then disposed of through these same scrapyards.  What kind of paper trail exists for this material?

Mike.

And don't forget the bronze memorial plaques too.

On 22/08/2018 at 10:45, JerryL303 said:

On the upside, I note that WWA are now able to sell separate 'spare' barrels (deactivated to current EU spec) and have a number of MkII BREN barrels in stock.  Having enquired into this, it appears that the Proof Houses are now happy to proof barrels separate from complete weapons, which they couldn't do up to a few months ago.  So anyone with a BREN/L4/MG42/GPMG, etc could get hold of a real (deactivated) spare barrel.  Check out this link:

https://www.worldwidearms.com/product/dab526-deactivated-303-mk-ii-bren-gun-spare-barrel--1151

My gunsmith will be livid. When he was building his new office / armoury there was no market for Bren barrels, so he put over 100 of them in the foundations to re-enforce the concrete.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard about this . . . . .

Some friends of mine were in France over the weekend, in WW1 kit, with replica weapons, not deacts. .  They were talking to a man at a museum who said, very soon, you can't use any weapons, be they replica / deacts / section 1. in public, but you can still use them for demonstration purpose if on private land / behind closed doors so to speak.

As a WW1 battlefield guide, I take my SMLE out when giving a stand on the uniform and equipment of a soldier. .. . Last thing I need when on tour is for the local police to turn up because I'm breaking some sort of law. .

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

On 22/08/2018 at 20:04, Stevie said:

And don't forget the bronze memorial plaques too.

Just as a brief diversion: lead was stolen off our church roof (twice in a few weeks).  It was security-marked as well.  Police shook their heads and said, in effect, "It'll have been taken straight up to Merseyside, put into a shipping container, and will shortly sail off to the Far East", no questions asked at either end.   No paper trail needed.  

Back to deacs. ...

Edited by clive_hughes