Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Avro ? at Imbros

Alan Bentley

Sorry Pete, I have tried enlarging the Strutter ,but no joy with the serial. There is what looks like a small bomb behind the aircraft.

The writing on the back is not my father's , so I don't know who took it.

Who was the pilot?

Alan

That's Lt Gerald A Magor who was permanently disabled by AA fire according to Gt Uncle.  I have both those photos too but mine aren't as good as yours so I can't see the serial either. In the photo in the other post of the group of officers outside the hangar at Thasos, Magor is in the second row third from the left including the sitting officer who is Staff Surgeon Spalding and then a Greek Officer Sub Lt Constantinou

Tony

Edited by MerchantOldSalt

1 hour ago, Alan Bentley said:

Sorry Pete, I have tried enlarging the Strutter ,but no joy with the serial. There is what looks like a small bomb behind the aircraft.

The writing on the back is not my father's , so I don't know who took it.

Who was the pilot?

The bomb could well point to the aircraft being a Type 9700 (Bomber variant) so could possibly be 'N5110' at Thasos by 9.1.17.  This machine was later marked with the code letter 'F'.  

Belay that last statement.  If the pilot was GA Magor, the machine could be 'N5532'.  The only problem is that the incident mentioned by Tony in his last post took place on 18.5.17 when Magor was part of 'F' Squadron, flying from the airfield at Amberkoj, on the mainland.  He was apparently knocked unconscious by the enemy AA fire but he recovered control of the aircraft and landed safely.  However, my information does not state where he managed to land. 

Edited by pete-c

Ian, thanks for reminding me of the Navy Lists.

Sorry to take this thread on a tangent but I've posted a few then-and-now photos on Facebook, and will add a couple here. Windmill Camp is easily recognisable today. I hope to back there in September. The windmill no longer stands but its circular footprint remains.

IMG_0328_stitch 2 wing camp 2 men now.jpg

IMG_0328_stitch 2 wing camp 2 men.jpg

IMG_0332_stitch now.jpg

IMG_0332_stitch.jpg

b3rn. Please don't apologise for hijacking, I started this thread, so as long as we arent worried , who cares?.

The "then and now" pictures are fascinating, so keep them coming. We went to Lemnos a few years back, little knowing that Dad had beaten us to it all those years ago.

I have a few more photos to put up, some "geographical" so you perhaps could do some more "then and now". If they are any good feel free to use them.

5a9a77831f2c2_Oldestac001.jpg.c7bb5ad2a33f17ae050edf2985d413ca.jpgOn the back "One of the oldest Naval machines. Last flew on Dec.16" Then in pencil "15" Where and when ?

The first machine is Short S.41 No.10 - described in CCI Vol 34/1 as an 'ancient mariner'.  Delivered to Eastchurch in March 1912, therefore definitely long in the tooth by the time this photo was taken.  The image in CCI is slightly different but possibly taken at the same time.  It was flown by Lt Bettington on Dec 16, 1915 from 'Windmill Aerodrome' Imbros.   It went through many modifications before arriving in the Aegean on the SS Venetion in September 1915.  It later suffered a forced landing  in the sea off Suvla and was eventually probably lost in a fire on 4.11.15.   There is another photo of this machine in CCI Vol 38/2 showing it probably as it was when it arrived on Imbros, marked with the Union flag on the fuselage and No 10 on the rudder.

Having just thumbed through the relevant CCI Journals to refresh my memory, I now realise that No.10, having served valiantly, but no longer capable of further use, was deliberately burnt on 8.1.16.   Its final moments are featured in another of Pollard's photos in Vol 34/1.

Edited by pete-c

The photo of the BE2c is a well known image - another one of Pollards - and shows the machine in front of one of the Bessonneau hangars at Windmill Aerodrome, Imbros.   The serial of the machine escapes me at the moment - I'll find it later.

Still not sure of serial of this machine but the same image also appears in the book Royal Naval Air Service 1912-1918, by Brad King.

Edited by pete-c

This photo says- " Imbros, Oct 1915, dismantling Voisin engine.

Clements, Parsons, Good, Shipperbottom, Coller, Barney.5a9d2035be67a_Engineoverhaul001.jpg.cffa096b9537344be1c291a970b8bdaf.jpg

A wonderful image Alan.  Yes, indeed, a Voisin 'pusher' - '8501,2 & 3' all serving with 2 Wing on Imbros during this period.  The engine is a Salmson Canton-Unne water-cooled 9 cylinder radial.  It looks like the fitters are using pieces of timber from a Bessonneau hanger as sheer-legs for the hoist - an example of the 'make do' attitude necessary in the Aegean Theatre!

Edited by pete-c

Taken by Mr. Basil Jones, April 1915, Imbros with "C" Shed in the background5a9d326f0f49f_Imbroslandyacht001.jpg.4064984da608a2a4fb2cc7a620d59887.jpg

5a9d3343eefdf_ImbrosCsheds001.jpg.373446efc0c621e83f3b998d9a6a159d.jpgImbros Oct. 1915, Bessoneau tents from above Kephalos. Picture below taken at same time as above view. No names, Farman in background?

Alan, a real treasure trove, naming other ranks and even the sheds!

I would love to put some time into taking then and now photos for these in September. Previously I've used scans from Cross and Cockade magazine, somewhat low resolution, but I have some great images from Bill Sellars to track down, plus a few from Pete-c!

D66AB35B-4052-4666-94F9-58C63C7DB21C-1362-000001D795D15FEE.jpeg

E20CA53E-C52E-4F60-9362-C754A8D7FCF5-1362-000001D7A198C4AA.jpeg

30 minutes ago, b3rn said:

Alan, a real treasure trove, naming other ranks and even the sheds!

D66AB35B-4052-4666-94F9-58C63C7DB21C-1362-000001D795D15FEE.jpeg

And so say all of us!   Great work Bern.

Edited by pete-c

20 hours ago, Alan Bentley said:

This photo says- " Imbros, Oct 1915, dismantling Voisin engine.

Clements, Parsons, Good, Shipperbottom, Coller, Barney.5a9d2035be67a_Engineoverhaul001.jpg.cffa096b9537344be1c291a970b8bdaf.jpg

Reference my post #36, there were of course six other Voisin machines in use at this time.   Further study of the image confirms that this machine is from that batch - 3827, 28, 29, 30, 31 & 32 - the identifying feature being the 'lozenge' shaped propeller shaft support, as found on the earlier types.  All these machines were on Tenedos by June 1915 for use by Samson's 3 Wing.  

The reason for the engine work isn't obvious - probably just a major service.

For comparison, attached is an image from The Brussels Air Museum of a Voisin with the type of propeller shaft mounting featured in Alan's photo.   The circular ribbed plate to the left of the mount is a flexible damping device - to help smooth out engine vibrations and also preserve the life of the bearing.

Type 3 LA Canton-Unne M9 engine with flexible driveshaft coupling VoisinKE1.jpg

Edited by pete-c

4 hours ago, pete-c said:

And so say all of us!   Great work Bern.

Please use any of my photos in any way you wish. I expect to see some great new additions to "Then & Now"!!

My father would have been very amused at the interest in his album, whether or not he actually took the pictures.

" 2 Wing Christmas card. no date.

The artist was S J B. No idea who that was5a9e82d42cde6_2Wing006.jpg.3ecf0685306067b2fab27d2c6b692a58.jpg

Imbros, dinner time on S.S. Tynesider, Feb 1916. Humping party.

No names, but what was S.S. Tynesider, doesn't look like a ship to me.?5a9e83bf00909_2Wing005.jpg.663c7f0caaeeadf2345364567b8c4330.jpg

Alan

The SS Tynesider was a coastal collier built in 1911 for  "T Steam Coasters Ltd" of Newcastle, Official Number 129772, she had a long career surviving until at least 1934 in British Registry.  I cannot find her as one of the many colliers taken up from trade on long term charter by the military but I expect she was, nor can I find a photo.  The photo could well be onboard a ship.

Tony

Imbros

Old machine converted into test bench. Nov. 1915

P.O.Baird, C.P.O.Shipperbottom (love that name!), Lamrock, Cripps, Peacock (smoking pipe as usual).

Imbros old machine 001.jpg

21 hours ago, Alan Bentley said:

Imbros

Old machine converted into test bench. Nov. 1915

P.O.Baird, C.P.O.Shipperbottom (love that name!), Lamrock, Cripps, Peacock (smoking pipe as usual).

Imbros old machine 001.jpg

There are at least two more images of this test rig - one of which appears in Peter H Liddle's The Airman's War 1914-18.  Another one is attached.  That's probably Peacock about to swing the prop - presumably after taking his pipe out!  

The rig is thought to be made up from the front fuselage of one of the Avro 504Bs previously in use on Imbros.   This rig was of course only suitable for testing rotary engines - different means having to be found for the other types in use on the Island at the time.

Imbros 2 Wing Aerodrome Nov 1915 Engine Test Rig (Avro 504).jpg

This is the page with Aird,Thasos.

Thasos 1 001.jpg

Edited by Alan Bentley