Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Siege battery 527

JackLunt

My grandfather, John Frederick Lunt fought in the BEF, 527 Siege Battery.

He was gassed on 2nd June 1918 and we cannot find where this may have taken place. His service number was PLY 18647

How can we find this information?

Thanks

This is the entry for 527 Siege Battery in WO95/5494; Allocations of Siege Batteries.

image.png.2249fd94e3c1f6474074e874beedadcf.png

I cannot find any records for John Frederick Lunt, can you tell us the source of your information regarding service please?

Peter

You may already have a copy of the above document

if so, then it would help if you can let us see the details describing his 1918 service and gassing

Found his service record.

It certainly looks like he was with 527 SB.

image.png.24a1f460f819c11c997f4fbfef266c0a.png

I note he was a qualified gunner which would explain why he was in a battery with 6" guns which the Navy would be familiar with I assume.  I wonder how many other RMLI were with this battery?

I'm a bit out of my comfort zone with artillery serving as Army Troops but looking for the relevant Army Troops war diary would be my next step.

Peter

15 hours ago, petwes said:

I wonder how many other RMLI were with this battery?

I'm a bit out of my comfort zone

We are all out of our comfort zone with this case :o

Over my evening meal I have peeked into General Blumberg's 'Britain's Sea Soldiers'

and I see there on page 349 in my copy that RMLI personnel were indeed loaned to the RGA to complete their  Seige Batteries 525, 526, 527 & 528

This is the very first time that I have heard of this 'Loan'

and I look forward to enlightenment from the RA experts :rolleyes:

Edited by michaeldr

Thank you all for the information. We do have my Grandad"s service record but I'm unsure of how to find where he was gassed. We are visiting the war graves in March and I would like to see where he fought if possible. Luckily he did survive the war. 

The 6in Guns were Mk XIX. The battery only went overseas 21 May 1918 although formed at Aldershot 19.1.18. It joined 26 Army Brigade at Gouy Servins on 1.6.18. Formed with 2/3 RMA to 1/3 RGA personnel offered to make up for the wastage of Mar18. The gassing occurred before they even had time to get into action.

rgds Paul

45 minutes ago, ororkep said:

formed with 2/3 RMA ? to 1/3 RGA personnel offered to make up for the wastage of Mar18

A small point but important nonetheless

Both Blumberg and this man's record suggest RMLI rather than RMA 

To answer my own earlier question.

Frederick's Lineage Book of British Land Forces notes:

"525 to 530 Siege Batteries formed partly from Royal Marine Light Infantry personnel"

Peter

Edited by petwes

I have just checked Commonwealth War Graves.

In September they were still in the vicinity of Gouy Servins. Two men were killed and are buried in DUISANS BRITISH CEMETERY, ETRUN which is about 14 km away.

image.png.cadd298aa0ace5f96883828776a2af93.png

Edited by petwes

80 x RMA and 20 x Plymouth Division RMLI were drafted to Lydd on 3 April 1918 for service in 527 Siege Battery RGA where they made up 2/3  of the 150 battery personnel.

From Blumberg (p.405):-  "527 Battery ... arrived in France on 22nd May. ... gun positions were prepared at Lievin about 4,000 yards west of Lens and when the guns arrived from Calais they went into action on 6th June, remaining here for two months firing on the areas Carvin - Seclin - Henin. During the latter part of the time they had heavy casualties from mustard gas. ... On 15th August they moved to the Arras front ... and came into action at Villers Gagnicourt on 30th, and subsequently took part in the breaking of the Drocourt - Queant Line on 2nd September when the RN Division so distinguished itself. ..."

18 hours ago, michaeldr said:

Both Blumberg and this man's record suggest RMLI rather than RMA 

Correction

As pointed out by H2 in his post No.16 above, in fact the men loaned to the RGA were taken from both the RMLI and the RMA

Blumberg (p.403) gives the following numbers for the other batteries:

525 Siege Battery - 1 Lieutenant RMA + 100 other ranks (RMLI)

526 Siege Battery - 1 Lieutenant RMA + 100 other ranks (RMLI)

528 Siege Battery - 1 Lieutenant RMA + 100 other ranks (80 RMA & 20 RMLI) 

15 minutes ago, petwes said:

Thank you all so much for all the information. I am so pleased to be able to piece together  more of what occurred and where my Grandad was during this time.

He never talked about his experiences during the war.

Could anyone explain how he was gassed before they became involved in the action?  Where would they have been before the action started?

Thanks

Hilary

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone.  I am new to this forum (joined today).  I'm in Canada researching my grandfather.  He was attached to the 527th Siege Battery as well.  I'm having a bit of a challenge reading the details, but it appears that he was sent to hospital wounded on July 13, 1918.  Any idea where he may have been stationed at the time or which files in the Archives I should be asking for?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

George

4 minutes ago, GeorgeJ said:

Hi everyone.  I am new to this forum (joined today).  I'm in Canada researching my grandfather.  He was attached to the 527th Siege Battery as well.  I'm having a bit of a challenge reading the details, but it appears that he was sent to hospital wounded on July 13, 1918.  Any idea where he may have been stationed at the time or which files in the Archives I should be asking for?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

George

He was stationed on the Emperor of India from Oct 14, 1914 - Mar 7, 1918, then assigned to the RMA from Mar 8 1918 - Apr 2 1918 and then attached to the 527th Siege Battery from Apr 3 1918.

Hi GeorgeJ,

Welcome to the forum.

To help people to help you, and to avoid duplication of effort, you should post all information you have.

This obviously means his name, and the sources of information that you have already consulted to obtain the information you have in your possession.

14 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Hi GeorgeJ,

Welcome to the forum.

To help people to help you, and to avoid duplication of effort, you should post all information you have.

This obviously means his name, and the sources of information that you have already consulted to obtain the information you have in your possession.

Hi and thanks for the welcome.  My grandfather's name was Walter Stott. His regiment number was 13677.  I looked at his attestation papers (ADM 159/87/13677) and have a page check in progress for his folio (ADM 157/3201/33).  I have done searches for orders of battle but there is little mention of the 527th.  I did find a PDF of what appears to be and old manuscript that shows the 527th as one of several"unbrigaded bridged" siege batteries attached to the first army. I downloaded a copy of that manuscript buy am having difficulty finding it online again so I can't give the url.  I also downloaded my grandfather's pension card and there was no reason for his discharge - on 2-10-19. 

Thanks again.

Thanks GeorgeJ,

I see his attestation form and service record is a naval one which unfortunately I can't access, but I'm sure there are naval experts here who can access them.

Likewise I think his medals will have been administered by the navy, I can't find his Medal Index Card at the moment.