Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Siege battery 527

JackLunt

That's been my challenge - I've heard conflicting information that either they were unbrigaded or attached to the 26th or 48th brigades of the RGA.  I don't want to spend a lot of money purchasing downloads that won't bear fruit (read: I'm a cheapskate).  It looked like Petwes identified them in 2018 that they were assigned as army troops in May, 1918.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to narrow down my search or make a single bulk purchase to do the research - there was one file that I think was an orders of battle digitization that was 160+MB that would have been a more comprehensive doc than picking up bits and pieces at 3.4 pounds/purchase (again read: I'm a cheapskate :)).

Difficult as although Army Troops unbrigaded, they were attached for tactical reasons to a variety of Brigades through which you can track them. But no single bulk purchase.

Your best bet to follow them as certainly you will see random mention of them with positions given and type of guns confirmed from June/ through July and August 1918 in 26 Army Brigade RGA from 01/06/18 (note excellent sheet dated 28June but found in July). Then on 20/21 September a move to Canadian Corps is recorded and mention in 48 Brigade RGA. Attached to 81 Brigade RGA 21 Oct 18. Armistice finds them in 34 Brigade RGA. Under 78 Brigade RGA from 27.11.18; just a single mention at which point I lose them.

You pays your money…

Edited by ororkep
added Brigade

George,

They do not. The Btys shown in that ORBAT under 34 Bde at Armistice are those under for administration only and not tactical purposes. My information is notes taken direct from the war diaries. As I suggested start with the 26 Brigade RGA WD for 1918.

You may also find the attached of interest:

Rgds Paul

P.S. do you hold any photos?

Pages from RMA Arty siege batteries.pdf

That's also helpful, Paul.  My dad recently handed me a bunch of items my grandmother held but I haven't gone through them to determine what the contents are - I suspect a lot of them are tied to WWII when he had moved to Canada.  I'll look into this over the weekend and if there are any good photos, I can post then.

Thanks,

George