Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9 minutes ago, Dombyrne said:

Where did you find this?

Ancestry

• 2 months later...

OK, so it looks quite likely that Patrick O'Keeffe may well have been in the third contingent of the Imperial Yeomanry that was used in the Boer War. I know he was in Cork at the time of the 1901 census but the Imperial Yeomanry third contingent was raised in December 1901, travelled to South Africa in May / June 1901. As the peace treaty was signed on 31st May 1901, they saw no action and mostly took up policing duty. There's a record of a Patrick O'Keeffe (43163) in the 176th (Irish Horse) company, 29th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry which may well be him. There's also a record of a Patrick O'Keeffe (no. 914) joining the South African Constabulary in September 1902 which again could well be him. I know it's not WW1 stuff but does anyone out there have any information on this stuff or that could point me to somewhere that I can look. I'm particularly interested in any Imperial Yeomanry service records, any South African Constabulary records when he came back the Britain to enlist. I have a photo of him on military, non WW1 uniform which I will post in a couple of weeks - it's at my parents in Cork and I'll be there at the end of February.

Thanks for any help forthcoming....

• 7 months later...

And for those who are interested I finally have a picture of L/Sgt Patrick O'Keeffe, even if it is of him in South African Constabulary uniform.....

P O'Keeffe (3).jpg

• Admin
10 minutes ago, Dombyrne said:

It's huge! Apologies, can't seem to make it any smaller!

No worries have reduced it somewhat.

David

• 1 year later...

So, 12 months later, a bit of an update........If anyone is still reading this! Maybe I should start a new post? What do experts at this kind of thing think?

So Patrick O'Keeffe did indeed enlist in the 176th Company, 29th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry on 16th January 1902. His number was 43163. He arrived in South Africa with the third contingent on May 10th 1902, so qualifying for the South African Campaign medal. Of course, on arrival in South Africa, the war was more or less over. Patrick, along with a number of other IY men upon discharge in Stellenbosch on 18th Sept 1902 went and joined the South African Constabulary - his papers show the date as 24th September 1902 in Pretoria, for a period of 3 years. It's a long way from Stellenbosch to Pretoria! He then rejoined for a further two years in 1905 and eventually left in September 1907. I believe that he returned the the United Kingdom on the SS Dunluce Castle in November 1907, arriving in Southampton. The age and 'calling' of the P O'Keeffe on the passenger list is consistent with he pre service life as a clerk and his age on both his IY papers and his SAC papers. 

I need help with the next bit though. I have a record, on the 1911 census, of Patrick O'Keeffe in the 10th Royal Hussars. I think the census return for the 10 Hussars was made in India (would that be right?). The age at 29 is not consistent with IY or SAC records but is consistent with his age according to all records at the time of his death in 1918. I also know that he was 'liberal' with his age a number of times!

So... can anyone point to where I could find out where and when this Patrick O'Keeffe enlisted in the 10th Hussars and when he left the 10th Hussars? Bearing in mind that he enlisted into the Munster Fusiliers in Liverpool on either the 8th or 9th of September 1914 according to his army number. 

The plot thickens..........

An interesting story, I hope that you can learn more.  The British Armed forces have always provided a home for Irish adventurers, and been all the better for it, regardless of the paradox with politics and national independence.

Edited by FROGSMILE