Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers wartime menu

ralphjd

• Admin

I believe I may be able to identify a further 3 of the signatures that I can read as also coming from the Royal Warwickshire Regiment (although this could be wishful thinking!)

Lieutenant Charles John Mansell (CJ Mansell) service number unknown

2nd Lieutenant Ronald Spencer Searle (RS Searle - seems to have signed more than once?) service number unknown

2nd Lieutenant Ernest Wilfred Richards (EW Richards) service number 83 KIA 11/5/1918.

So that makes 5 of the signatures as potentially belonging to officers from that regiment.

I shall have to hand off now to someone with greater research ability than myself to prove / disprove this.

• Admin
30 minutes ago, keithfazzani said:

Do you have the date of Bagley's commission?

Sadly no, tried the London Gazette but no joy there.

My info has been from the IWM Lives of the First World War site. Probably needs someone with access to more records than I have.

At least one of the names can be skim-gleaned from The National Archives Discovery catalogue - I used Bagley+Warwickshire+WO and filtered it to the 1900-1924 dates, top of the list is 2/Lieutenant Cecil Gowan BAGLEY http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=Bagley+Warwickshire+WO 

Haven't time to search for the rest I'm afraid. NB that there is a Private Cecil Gordon Bagley farther down the list, also in the Warwicks.

Just a thought Ralph have you taken the menu out of the frame? There might be something written there. There is a bit of ink above Bagley's name and certainly some of the signatures go out of view. Just an idea although I have no idea how difficult it might be to remove it. Worth a try if possible.

• Admin
28 minutes ago, seaJane said:

At least one of the names can be skim-gleaned from The National Archives Discovery catalogue - I used Bagley+Warwickshire+WO and filtered it to the 1900-1924 dates, top of the list is 2/Lieutenant Cecil Gowan BAGLEY http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=Bagley+Warwickshire+WO 

Haven't time to search for the rest I'm afraid. NB that there is a Private Cecil Gordon Bagley farther down the list, also in the Warwicks.

Yes, the Cecil Gordon also shows he became a 2nd Lieutenant, hadn't come across Gowan because it hasn't been digitised for some reason

1 hour ago, keithfazzani said:

Just a thought Ralph have you taken the menu out of the frame? There might be something written there. There is a bit of ink above Bagley's name and certainly some of the signatures go out of view. Just an idea although I have no idea how difficult it might be to remove it. Worth a try if possible.

Keith. Afraid the menu is not mine, a friend over from Australia has it, found (unframed obviously) in a Princess Mary Christmas tin, the menu not my friend . Hope to see him before he goes back later this month and lay hands on the menu again. Ralph.